1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

“The ultimate end goal is to get to the NBA. With that being said, I have decided to partner with the NBA G-League’s new team for elite players,” Green wrote on his Instagram page. “The main reason for this is I want to get better, I want to develop a more better game. I want to work on my craft and things like that. That way, I can be better for the NBA. This is the best route to prepare myself to get one step closer to be ready when that time comes.”

Green was expected to commit to Memphis if he didn’t join the G League, a source said. The athletic, 6-foot-6 combo guard out of Prolific Prep (Napa, California) is ranked as the No. 1 prospect by ESPN and has the potential to be the top pick in the 2021 NBA draft.

2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Not to mention 500,000 salary for just one year.

D-rock, BossHogg713 and Bo6 like this.
  3. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Not to mention you get to play against NBA talent and get tutelage from former and current NBA players. All of that can be far more valuable than college ball for one year during covid imo.

bmelo, Denovo and Bo6 like this.
  4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

the "kPj AvErAgEd MoRe PoInTs!" in the G-league argument is so lazy.

i sure hope KPJ looked better in the G-league considering he had 2 extra years of experience..... (all of college AND an extended NBA covid season)

5. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Your post is a little contradictory but overall I understand what you are trying to say. Being "internally driven" as you so call it is ideal I will agree with you on that all day long. But players are people just like you and me. If you know this team isn't going to go anywhere are you going to be all that motivated to go out of your way to bust your ass or would you do the bare minimum to get your numbers and a big paycheck come salary negotiation time? I'm not saying that the latter part of my question is the correct approach but I can see why players have a nonchalant attitude when it comes to sports when you are spinning on the mediocrity wheel with a franchise. If what you are saying is true that Wiggin's numbers have improved with the GSW(even if so ever slightly) and that his demeanor has improved then doesn't that further prove the initial point that I was making lol?

6. Convictedstupid

Technically he didn't have an extended NBA covid season, right? Cavs weren't in the bubble.

But yeah I agree.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I wasn't disagreeing with you. Quite the opposite, I was trying to say that Wiggins has already benefitted from a change of scenery like you said he would. But he didn't care about basketball while in Minny and I'm very hesitant to embrace players that only put in effort in certain spots. I don't think it's contradictory to think that is a big red flag. Look at Andrew Bynum for instance. He was an actual all-star in the right situation, but had motivation issues from the jump. Philadelphia thought they had that right environment too, but were proven wrong. I think guys like that are a huge gamble.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No to Kevin Love please. I want to retain Wood, add Bassey as a backup with the 24th. Green is my choice at the 2nd spot.

9. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I see what you are saying and agree with you. All these guys are gambles to be fair, the one thing I will say about Green is he appears to want to be the best player which I do like a lot.

saleem, MrButtocks and RudyTBag like this.
  10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Someone else said it but it bears repeating. If Green had gone to college he would be the consensus # 1. He dominated against former NBA players and older more experienced fringe NBA players. How do you think he would have fared against lesser talent he would have seen in the NCAA?

He shot better from the NBA 3 then Suggs did from the college line. Suggs was a 75% FT shooter! Green all the way!

11. csc177

csc177 Member

Not a scrub but definitely over hyped. He is NOT the next Jason Kidd, like some folks want to make him out to be. Brandon Roy esque if you ask me.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I worry mostly about his lack of free throws in his GL stint, as well as his overall size as a SG.

His brain and his willingness to learn are freaking fantastic. He is a lifelong baller/gym rat.

I'd be tempted to grab him for that alone.

HTXSportsAddict and joshuaao like this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Healthy Brandon Roy was literally better than Jason Kidd at his best, soooooo...

don grahamleone and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  14. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

To be fair, if Brandon Roy’s knees would’ve held up, he was on his way to being a superstar.

but I agree on Suggs. Solid player, but don’t think he’s number 2 pick worthy

15. Denovo

Denovo Member

Another thing worth noting. Green is the youngest player in the top 4

16. StevieCrossover

Even though I am on the Mobley wagon. I believe bigs have more of a potential to be a bust. Look at Thabeet, Michael Jordan's pick Kwame Brown, Oden (due to injury), Darko Milicic.... I think bigs these days need to be more molded and skilled so they will take time to develope. On the other hand a guy like Green has a good chance to become an allstar with his athleticism. Development process will be quicker than Mobley. Overall we do not have the #1 draft pick which is a no brainer (cade) so at #2, it'll be a hard decision. Safe bet would be Green. A bigger gamble on Mobley.

saleem and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

How long do you believe it took Lavine to become an All Star?

But agree that bigs take longer to develop.

18. StevieCrossover

Lavine is pretty solid, got better every year since he started. I guess you can apply development that to every nba player,

HTXSportsAddict and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

But his defense has never improved despite his willingness on that end.

Both Lavine and Green have short wingspans.

And Lavine is the more explosive athlete and better 3ball shooter.

20. Rocket_Man_2.0

Jalen Green is the one...no diggity, no doubt!

jnuge90, saleem and bballjunkie like this.