1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBS Mock draft just said Rockets picking Suggs LOL

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Universally everybody on this website is just forming an opinion based on the aggregate opinions of other internet “experts”. Those people in turn regurgitate the opinions of those who they look to as “insiders” hooked into the NBA front offices. Who originates these opinions in the end? How can we tell a genuine opinion versus a made up one? How many humans on earth can actually break down tape between two prospects and rank one above another, genuinely free from the bias of preconceived opinions going into that assessment?

Very few I suspect. So if you think it’s a joke that a prospect ranked by most people in the 2-5 range has been slotted to the Rockets at the 2 pick, maybe just wait a bit and see how all these things shake out first. For now though, Suggs at 2 is definitely not a farce, not yet at least.

2. ball king23

ball king23 Member

Jalen suggs kinda grew on me but then Jalen Green season kinda put him in front of Suggs

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I enjoy the fact that so many threads are being made on top prospects. It feels good to have the #2 pick for discussion, rather than be sitting here with the 18th pick and putting out trade scenarios how we will move up to #3 lol.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Are you referring to the 15 games that Jalen Green played in the G-League? Where he averaged 17.9ppg (KPJ averaged 24ppg in the same league), and had a pedestrian 15 player efficiency rating? His offensive win shares was literally ZERO. 0.0 to be exact.

Suggs could have played anywhere in the country, so to hold Gonzaga against him is silly. John Stockton went to Gonzaga - a Hall of Fame player -- and arguably the top PG in history strictly from a statistics standpoint. Suggs led Gonzaga to the championship game, elevating all of his teammates. He's a leader and a fiery competitor with a very well-balanced game (defense, handle, shooting, passing). A great, BUST PROOF, pick with plenty of upside not only for him individually, but also for his teammates.

PuzzledFan, YOLO and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trust the Process

Roc Paint and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I agree - Suggs would be a great pick for like TOR or GSW. Personally I like the idea of taking a project like Mobley; competing next year doesn’t do us many favors.

Having said that, I’d be very happy with any of the 3 guys.

HTXSportsAddict, HP3 and J Sizzle like this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yeah, he's referring to that same Jalen Green. The Jalen Green who had only just turned 19 (!!) when the Ignite started its season back in February. The same Green who was the leading scorer on that team.

For comparison's sake, KPJ had already experienced a season's worth of actual NBA competition by the time he got sent to RGV.

It's a bit strange to use win shares to judge the value of an incoming rookie. His was 0.4, by the way. Obviously not very good, but not the 0.0 you harp on. FWIW, Kuminga's win shares was -0.3, the worst on the same team. Yet he's projected top 5.

If win shares were in any way indicative of a player's outlook, according to how you judge players, Kuminga wouldn't even be sniffing the first round.

10. sydmill

sydmill Member

Post of the past 36 hours. This applies to Green, Mobley and Suggs.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

God bless you. Thanks for the laugh.

HTXSportsAddict and jayfree like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Not as crazy as it seems.

When the owner likes a player (Suggs), then it is a real possibility.

Couple that with the Rockets could potentially trade from #2 down to #4-5 and possibly still get Suggs AND get a pretty good asset for moving down a few spots.

13. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

As much as I want Green at #2, Suggs is definitely not an LOL pick. I would gladly have Suggs over Mobley.

Suggs will likely be the best rookie right out of the gate. Yeah lower ceiling is a question mark, but why can't Suggs reach a higher ceiling?

We all just kind of assume he's limited to a Chauncey or Brandon Roy comparison, but maybe he can pave his own way and become something better.... maybe even incomparable to others.

Green > Suggs > Mobley all day and twice on (Insert Day)

PuzzledFan likes this.
  14. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Plot twist, Detroit picks someone else and we pick Cade.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Best part of having #2 is that after Cade everyone is a gamble but all will be good pro players.

FLASH21 likes this.
  16. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

I didn't see much of Gonzaga last year but I'm looking at Suggs averages and he doesn't exactly seem very impressive to me, what am I missing?

17. MystikArkitect

Suggs is the best pick. Has the most developed game and can improve his 3 pt shooting stroke. He shot 50% from the field for his college career. Controls the floor, has amazing vision and looks like an elite NBA PG *right now*.

Mobley could be good but will take 3 years to fill out. Jalen Green kinda reminds me of Jamal Crawford. Who would you rather have in their prime?

Chris Paul, Luka Doncic, Trae Young.

Or.

Anthony Davis, DeAndre Ayton, Joel Embiid.

Yeah thats what I thought.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This has been posted multiple times in other threads. It means nothing

YOLO likes this.
  19. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

I believe people who grew up playing and watching (good) basketball have a better eye for talent and potential. And I mean actually playing and understanding good basketball, not just somebody who was convinced they were the best because they hit a half court shot in the Y league one year. The true hoopers have a strong overall feeling for the game and the nuances that come with it. I agree that there are reasons there is a clear cut top 5 (however nobody can be sure guys like Bouknight or Moses Moody don't turn out to be the best players from this draft). The biggest question mark becomes who can improve on their weaknesses the best and most efficiently. A lot of the guys in this class have the potential.

As a sidenote, there's always going to be guys like Scottie Barnes who could bring a tremendous mentality boost and positive locker room effect that teams value higher than skills alone.

There's so many different metrics to measure these players by. For some teams it's "let's just get BPA" and for others it's based off team need.

To have a leader like Suggs who will undoubtedly be a solid facilitator (potentially great, to your point we seem to limit this guy's potential b/c a lot of the talking heads limit his potential), that makes his teammates better, and has a track record of winning on the big stage, would be far from a laughable pick imo.

PuzzledFan likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Over half the folks in here don’t even follow college like at all and base everything at this point on few YouTube vids and what some of these “experts” say and regurgitate it. All of a sudden that makes you informed and such an expert. A lot of y’all need realize there’s cases for 3 players not just 2.

Suggs would be a great choice at #2. Folks talking about he can’t shoot couldn’t be more wrong. And obviously haven’t watched him or Gonzaga throughout the year. Dude has a beautiful jump shot and release and is already considered a solid shooter. The potential with that is it becomes even better which it absolutely can along with what he is already damn good at is what makes him such a great prospect

what I like more and more is all the casuals just want to overlook him because all the apparent hype has told them to look at green/Mobley. So that’s what most of you are doing as sheep without actually diving and following who someone like Suggs is. OP actually made a thread trying to laugh about him at #2. Your thread is what’s laughable when a clear top 4 prospect can go anywhere in that range

#40 YOLO, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021