1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

They both have big time potential there’s no way for me to know who will fulfill it. To me Mobley is the safer choice bc as a switchable 7 ftr there is zero chance that he will not be able to start in the league. 6’6’ w mad hops meh could be Gerald green could be Shannon brown. I’d rather take the guy that will 100% improve our defense and then if he develops an offensive game can become a centerpiece. Just my opinion. Who knows, the player that ends up being the best in this draft may be drafted outside the top 4, someone that develops their game over the years and was initially overlooked. No way to predict who it’ll be but that’s the game all nba teams try to win, they all suck at it and that’s why kwahi and Giannis were drafted where they were.

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think Mobley will be much more like JJJ than Turner. Turner isn't very capable defensively on the perimeter and is much heavier than Mobley. I think the ballhandling is a big distinction since Turner doesn't have much offense at all beyond his three point shot. I think a much better comparison is JJJ, for both mobility and offensive potential.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Not sure I see much of JJJ in Mobley. But that could be also bc JJJ has spent a ton of time on the sidelines and he too is still a extremely young player

D-rock likes this.
  4. JD88

JD88 Member

Cool.

Find me a big man who doesn't play like a guard.

Davis? Embiid? Jokic? Zion? Giannis? Towns?

All really big guards, yeah?

I said already, the first true center isn't being drafted until halfway through the first round, so I'm not sure why we're even discussing this

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

KPJ
    Wood
    Mobley

All have the west coast California connection

Just seen that jalen green does as well

#205 Rudyc281, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    D-rock and saleem like this.
  6. bmd

bmd Member

I didn’t say anything about Mobley. Just because you think he’s your guy doesn’t mean you have to put other players down. I like Mobley too.

And you’re mentioning players who have become stats who were not top picks... yeah, that does happen. But it’s statistically more likely that top picks become stars than lower picks. For every Kawhi and Giannis you can name I can name about 10x as many top picks who have panned out.

D-rock and Dobbizzle like this.
  7. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Mobley has no post game (back to the basket). His move is a dribble or two to the paint and a jump hook. His only other consistent offense is put backs. He is not a good shooter. He does not defend bigs well either. He defends off ball. He gets run over by bigs down low. No strength. He is really a SF who is to tall and not quick enough to guard SF. And he can't shoot well. He is a 4 year project and may never match up to #2 pick.

8. Rocket_Man_2.0

The curse of the center #2 draft pick is real...Say no to Mobley...He got pushed around in college and people think he's going to come to the NBA and dominate?! Too soft!

9. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

You know, one of the things this playoffs has shown us is how the whole story of big men being obsolete is untrue. The Lakers strongest lineup was with both Drummond and Davis on the floor, and when Davis went down, they had no answer for Ayton. The Trail Blazers got dominated down low by the Nuggets, Memphis struggled against Gobert, Embiid dominated both series until late game vs. the Hawks, Capela has been a difference maker in multiple games, the Bucks field lineups with both Giannis and Lopez regularly (Miami was completely outclassed down low), etc.

Not saying it's impossible to win without a good big. The Nets featured lineups where they used smaller 'stretch 5's like Brown, and the Bucks use PJ at the 5 a lot. Gobert was at times a liability against the Clippers, and even Jokic's good performances vs. the Suns couldn't overcome Booker and Co. But if you look at it as a whole, having a big is way more of an asset than a liability, and having one with agility, some shooting (including some outside shooting), etc. can be a game changer. Not sure why so many people are downplaying that.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

1000%

The death of the big man has been overexaggerated. What really died were stiffs. Back in the 90s you can throw out tall bodies just to protect the rim and get boards but you can't do that anymore because guards expose them.

You still NEED someone to protect the rim and get boards.

Whats more is its very very hard to find a big that can switch onto guards..not only did Mobley do that, but he would at times play excellent on ball defense on perimeter players. That's why people were giving him the KG comp, not because of his offense but KG was really one of the first bigs that would willingly switch onto guards and use his length and size to bother him.

To me, that's the biggest thing with Mobley. I think he makes us better right away on defense and I've seen enough of his offense to know there is a chance that he could dominate there too given 2-3 years of work.

Rashmon, D-rock, clutchdabear and 4 others like this.
  11. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

12. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

What's even stranger to me is that this was our problem last year. One of our biggest weaknesses was down low. Even with Wood healthy we couldn't guard the 5 position. The FO ended up signing an assortment of G League 5's to try to fill the void, and Wall, EG, KPJ, etc. Talked to the media about how playing without a real big man is incredibly difficult.

Wood is a very good player. But he can't hold up at the 5 spot. He's too frail, and his health will give way when he has to go up against Gobert, Jokic, Ayton, etc. All of those guys killed us, and most of them had their way with Wood, not because they're that much more skilled than him, but because they're stronger and taller and can bully him into the middle, rebound over him, etc. Having someone who can hold his own would be huge.

Rudyc281 and JayGoogle like this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah but Mobleys defensive strength is his ability to switch and also protect the rim. I read that one of his weakness is his strength, as in he will get bullied down low by the likes Embiid, Ayton, Nurkic just like Wood did.

He seems to be a "small ball center" because he can guard the perimeter on switches, can handle the ball well for a big men, but generally shies away from low post due to lack of strength

14. HTXSportsAddict

Or the last five months. Both are complete clowns.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

You could play Wood and Mobley together easy. Thats the attraction to me.

Roc Paint and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. bmelo

bmelo Member

Yeah you can but they have similar role on offense so what's the purpose? Put Green off the ball, Wood with KPJ on picks&rolls and its ****ing good looking right away

Dobbizzle likes this.
  17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

There is no curse of #2 centers. Plenty of them have been champions and hall of famers.

Link to all number 2 picks:
    https://www.basketballinsiders.com/...-pick/history-of-the-nba-draft-pick-number-2/

Marvin Bagley is a power forward.
    Hasheem Thabeet does suck so I'll give you that.
    Emeka Okafor was a decent NBA player.
    Tyson Chandler is an NBA champ and I think a DPOY if I'm not mistaken.
    Marcus Camby was a badass.
    Antonio McDyess was awesome.
    Shawn Bradley wasn't great, but he was a serviceable center for a long career.
    Alonzo Mourning.. awesome player.
    Rik Smits was a perennial playoff center.
    Wyaman Tisdale is a PF.
    Sam Bowie's biggest issue was that he's not MJ or Olajuwon.
    Bob McAdoo was awesome.
    Wes Unseld- HOF
    BIll Russell - rings growing out of his ears
    Bob Pettit is a HOFamer and champion.

I'm not sure your curse holds up and it isn't a reason to avoid Mobley. Plus Ayton and Capela are showing what mobile centers can do to an offense in the playoffs. I'd take Mobley if he isn't taken first. The curse you speak of is a myth.

18. Rockets4Life13

Aren’t you concerned with the documented lack of motivation and his lack of willpower?
    I’ve read that Jalen Green really wants to get better every day and is an extremely hard working kid. Mobley on the other hand seems to lack that kind of thinking.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Where are you getting this work ethic information? I like Green, but I don't think I've seen a ton of work in his game. He has a fantastic step back 3 pointer, he drives well and he goes for spectacular steals instead of playing fundamental defense. I haven't seen anything in him improve. Evan Mobley blocks, rebounds, dribbles, passes, has soft touch around the basket and can dunk with authority as well. He has range. He'll thicken up in the next couple of years. I'm not seeing the downside to him unless you're trying to win tomorrow. I'd rather Suggs over Green to be honest because we need defense worse than anything.

Here's a quote about Evan:

“Evan is a special young man,” said USC head coach Andy Enfield when Mobley signed. “He is an incredible basketball talent who can dominate on the defensive end with his length and athleticism and on the offensive end with his tremendous skill set. We are equally excited about Evan’s exceptional work ethic, humble personality and outstanding academic achievements. He is a proven winner and we are ecstatic to welcome him to our program.”

I don't see what you're saying in this quote I've provided from someone who coached him. Please provide said "documented lack of motivation and lack of willpower". Also, please inform me on how such things are documented? I'm not sure how he developed all that skill without working on it. It makes zero sense.

In my opinion, Jalen Green needs to work on his passing and rebounding. He does both at pretty low rates for an athlete and being a player that touches the ball as much as he does on offense.

Last thing I'd say about Green is that he doesn't really play within an offense. He just goes out and gets his points. Now I can see that working with certain coaches, but Silas seems to be about running plays, getting his guys easy baskets. Mobley most definitely can be fully integrated into an offense. Suggs can too. Green might be able to, but I haven't seen that in anything I've watched. Maybe I have more research to do.

Edit: I found one good pass that took some talent from Jalen Green. He's got great body control in the air. He's definitely one of the best scorers in this draft, but Mobley does so much more. Rebounding, blocks, being disruptive, soft touch from 8 plus feet out is a nice plus, his dribbling at the center position, his vision on the court for the open man... it's too much to change my mind, but Jalen Green is a really nice player. Another concern of mine is that Jalen Green is coming into the league as a scorer yet the most points he scored in a G League game was 26. Scorers put up enough to get you 30+ quite a few times in a 15 game span of a regular season. Green the scorer had zero 30+ games in the season and only one in the playoffs.

#219 don grahamleone, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He doesn't shy away from it, but he had times where he lost position to bigger players when defending the post. He definitely needs to be closer to 245 lbs to be able to maintain with those NBA types you listed. I mentioned before that he was 195 lbs in 2018 and he's leaving USC at 215 lbs. He said in a 2018 interview that he needed to get bigger and he added 20 lbs. He's said recently he needs to add strength, so I'd expect this trajectory to continue. His older brother is 235 lbs, so his current weight doesn't give me too much worry. I think Giannis or Capela is an ideal target weight for him.