1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breakdown of our choices at 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 22, 2021.

?

Who should we take?

1. Green

223 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Mobley

110 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Suggs

40 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with Mobley that a steady diet of ice cream and steaks and a summer playing against Moses every day at Fonde won't fix. Oh, wait. Range: Short Manute Bol - Less stout David Robinson. The problem with young bigs is that the variance is so high between washout/average/good/great.

Nothing wrong with Green that a focus on defense and lots of shooting practice won't fix. Range: Harold Miner to bigger Allen Iverson. I watched some of his film and at times I think he's the perfect basketball player while other times I have my doubts. I think he'll be a solid contributor at least.

Nothing wrong with Suggs, but nothing quite great yet either. Range: Andre Miller to Dennis Johnson. Suggs, I think, has the least space between floor and ceiling but the floor is pretty good.

I suspect the mental eval (including team concepts) will carry as much or more worth to the Rockets than the game film and the mental eval for both Mobley and Green better be dead solid perfect if we pick one of them.

2. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah ive watched alot on the top 4 guys the last 3 or 4 weeks and even though I would be happy to have Mobley I would be lying if I told you I wasn't worried about picking him because it seems like the bust potential on bigs is so much higher. I would feel way more comfortable with Green then using one of the other picks to get a stout rebounder/defender and rim runner. I don't know what the numbers bear out but it just seems like the bust potential/injury bug potential is alot higher with big men

HTXSportsAddict and bmd like this.
  3. rockets13champs

It’s not like he’s locked into who he is. He can always work on this

hajkov likes this.
  4. alethios

alethios Member

There's only one top 4 pick in this draft that's NBA ready or near NBA ready and that's Cade. The other 3 - Mobley, Green and Suggs - are at least a year or two from being NBA ready. We should pick the player with the most upside for the future with the hope that they will become foundational players in 2-3 years. I'm fine with either Green or Mobley in that regard. It doesn't sound like Ferntits wants to wait too long for a turnaround plus he's motivated to save as much money as possible, so I would not be surprised if this pick is traded.

roslolian and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I wouldn’t be mad at the Rockets for taking any of the top 4 guys. Suggs is the least interesting to me but I trust them to be far better at evaluating then my dumb opinion.

Mobley’s game is a notch above Green’s for me but Green’s drive to be great is very intriguing. Crazy tough call.

6. TheresTheDagger

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  7. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good scouting video on all 3. I was impressed with the passing ability out of the double teams from Mobley, his basketball IQ seems higher than Green.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I like Suggs, I don’t know why but I do

I wonder if we could pull a Celtics with the Cavs or Raptors

9. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I don't think it's necessarily because Mobley has the higher basketball IQ, I just think that both of them played in two totally different styles of offense and both are two totally different type of players. Mobley played for USC where the emphasis is fundamental team brand basketball, the emphasis is not so much of showcasing the kid. Versus Green playing in the G-League with Ignite the emphasis was placed on showcasing himself and his God given abilities. I don't think it's a knock on either of them per se but at least with Green I'm a lot more confident of what I'm signing up for as a team. Mobley is a huge question mark in my mind.

kubli9 likes this.
  10. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

Ask Phoenix how they feel about getting a C for the 1st pick...They could have had Luka or Trae!!!

I see nothing impressive about Mobley, please don't draft him!!!

RHU525 and AnHero like this.
  11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be happy with Suggs, Green, Mobley at #2. I'd be madly pleased if we traded down and grab Suggs plus draft compensation.

Suggs has that IQ and defense coupled with a team first attitude that screams future champion. I truly think he'd scored 25 easy a game if Zags weren't so load. I love Green because he is currently the better shooter but Suggs is being sold short on the board by most. Put the film and enjoy.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Suggs strength and athleticism, body control, ability to finish at the rim, his vision and defense, if he develops offensively with more perimeter shooting, more creative ball handling to break down the D, he’d be the whole package and a Deron Willams, Kyle Lowry, Jason Kidd level PG

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would just say that this rebuild is going to be more than just one draft pick, and any of the three options presented are logical and reasonable choices.

No matter which guy they chose, they are still a long way away.

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m just so damn glad we have a pick at the number #2

HTXSportsAddict and Nook like this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Ayton's shot won the game because the pass that set it up was spot on .... had nothing at all to do with him being "highly touted".

Typical of a big in todays game , he had to be set up .... Gotta give Monty Williams credit for drawing up the play and Crowder just as much credit for putting the ball where only Ayton could get it and put it down .....

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Its a guards league unless you are a unicorn .....

17. daytripper

daytripper Member

In today's NBA you take the guard over the big every time when the talent level is equivalent. The Warriors made the mistake of taking Wiseman over Ball last draft. I think Mobley is going to be a really nice player. He could reach his potential and end up as an AD or Bosh type player but even those guys could not win as the best player on their team.

18. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The annuals of NBA draft history is full of big men with potential. All things being equal, take the guard. I'd pass on Mobley (or trade him). I prefer Suggs. Green looks interesting but my spidy sense screams he's locker room liability (of course I've never met him so I have no idea).

19. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I have no idea where he'll go in the draft, but I could get pretty darned cozy with a combo of Green/Jericho Sims or Cunningham/Jericho Sims.

I'm not anti-Mobley, but Sims profiles as a helluva rim-protector body.

20. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Narrator: Tildo was not smarter than that.