1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Wood
    Martin
    Tate
    Green
    Porter Jr

That is a fun team to watch!

IvanLCPM, topfive, joshuaao and 8 others like this.
  2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You say this and insult me again.

FTR - What I meant, in one way, shape, or form is that the legendary Rocket Big Man Academy is alive and well. CD will always be a part of that as long as he carries the word. But, it will be Dream and others who handle more of this. We have a tradition. There IS a built in infrastructure.

Roc Paint and Verbal Christ like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dynasty in the making!

Bo6 and BossHogg713 like this.
  4. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I have watched a lot of Mobley in the last 12 hrs. I am convinced that his jump shot is not broken in a Ben Simmons sort of way. He has good form and he shoots it confidently. It will improve with reps, for sure.

albuster, mikenm268, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You are right. But Jalens motor is not even debatable. He wants to be the best. Mobley already giving me Andrew Bynum vibes

34to11, javal_lon and Denovo like this.
  6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I agree with this in theory but say the Rockets board is

1. Cade 2. Mobley 3. Green.

Cleveland would clearly benefit from Cade a ton and if Detroit feels confident that the Rockets will take Mobley, then that adds another team that could sneak in and swap picks. Maybe Detroit is all a smoke screen and they like Mobley and Green more than Cade in the end.

This season was weird for scouting and Cade has basically solidified himself over everyone else without any workouts. What if Green or Mobley just pop out as the next Jordan (Green) or KD (Mobley). Obviously that's not a likely scenario but you never know. Cade only wants to try out for one team. Detroit wants to try out 5 guys.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No Pascal is very strong at 6’8 230, wide shoulders

Mobley is much thinner at 7ft 210

His body is more similar to a rookie Garnett

[​IMG]

8. dmoneybangbang

Kevin Garnett also had an elite motor and elite f*ck your coach to his game that made him into an elite 2 way 20/10 player. I think the Kevin Garnett comparisons maybe apt when it comes to body/frame, but they are two different players.

IvanLCPM, Dobbizzle, saleem and 2 others like this.
  9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

In this scenario I don’t know how much the 23rd and 24th moves the needle. Either way I’m not getting into a bidding war with Cleveland or whoever wants to move up. We’re lucky that the talent gap between 1-4 especially 1-3 isn’t as much as in other years.

personally, I want green. I’d be fine with Mobley. I’d be happy if Detroit panics and let’s Cade slip to us. If Detroit wants to gamble and trade with someone to hop us that’s up to them but it’s absolutely imperative that the rockets keep their pick close to the chest and no one outside of the war room knows who we’re taking before silver reads the card. Put the pressure on Detroit and make them sweat if they want to get frisky.

albuster, HTXSportsAddict and treyk3 like this.
  10. JD88

JD88 Member

Embiid is hurt.

Trey Young played like dogshit in the final game and his team won anyways.

The real game changers have height, save for a select few. Curry has unprecedented range. MJ was one of a kind.

But for the most part, it's LeBron or Durant as the best player of the last decade.

When was the last championship won by a team without an elite big man? (LeBron is a big man, as is Durant).

Raptors with Kawhi and Pascal? Both tall, lengthy players.

Dirk?
    Duncan?

I guess Wade in 2006, who was another 1%er.

The Celtics, maybe, but Garnett was there.

Shaq.
    Without doing the math, I'd guess there are more teams led by top tier big men in the finals than there are teams led by guards.

albuster likes this.
  11. bmd

bmd Member

He is elite at creating space and scoring. He’s elite at finishing at the rim. Plus he has good size and elite athleticism.

34to11, D-rock, edwardc and 1 other person like this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If i say something moronic, and people point that out, if its truly moronic, i recognize it, correct my mistake and move on. Maybe I'm probably a rarity in today's social media driven everything's a fight age... but that's more or less been my personality on here for 20 years. i put out my opinion, and if im wrong later, im wrong and own it ....

I think you're great... i think the original comment was moronic. Appreciate your clarification there.

I obviously love Dream, and Dream teaching him is clearly more realistic. But I am in no way sold on the Big Academy thing. The most successful products of that over the years seem to have been Kobe and Lebron.... because they're Kobe and Lebron... which doesn't mean Dream / the academy doesn't help, it just means I got to believe the player has the capability to be on that level anyway.

With regard to Evan, I'm not 100% sold that's for sure.

I think his upside is a mix of AD and Giannis... which is like, wtf, that's one of the best players ever. But i think he also has a floor lower than the other top 4, because i can see a scenario where he can't quite adjust to the speed of the game at the next level and combined with his seemingly passive attitude that could be a problem.

He's the highest risk, highest reward of the top 4 imo.

So again, when i said no offense, i meant no offense... but i also meant factoring in the Big Academy and ESPECIALLY CD any way at all into the drafting decision makes absolute zero sense to me.

saleem likes this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Lebron and Durant aren't "big men".

And the whole concept is the wrong way to look at it.

It's do they play outside in or inside out.

Lebron/Durant play outside in.

And to me, for the most part, outside in players, WITH HEIGHT, are the ones that are the best to have in today's NBA.

#133 JayZ750, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    tmoney1101 likes this.
  14. bmd

bmd Member

I like how you count LeBron and Durant as big men since it would be devastating to your argument if you didn’t. Even though nobody on the planet considers them big men, you didn’t let that stop you.

34to11 likes this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

KG looks like a super sweet kid in this photo. When did he become so mean?!

As I asked this question, a KG ghost pops near my chair and screams.... 'ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE !!!!!!'

16. tmoney1101

It depends on what you think wood’s ceiling is. When’s the last time a team with 2 elite/max player big men went to the finals? Do you take a guard and bet on wood or do take Mobley and hope that he makes wood expendable? Wood still has room to go and has low mileage on a good deal. If he continues on his current trajectory you’re going to have to pay him. I’d rather take a chance that one or both of green/kpj turn out to be elite guards one a playmaker/secondary scorer and one a scorer/secondary playmaker than have redundancy at center and have to trade one of them eventually.

17. tmoney1101

He’s also a 37% 3 point shooter from the nba line. He might very well be the most Athletic guard to come out since Westbrook.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Thank God were even having this discussion

Go Rockets!

19. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

you are absolutely right in that mobley and KG are completely different, but that doesn't necessarily mean mobley doesn't have an elite motor, considering how hyper-focused he seems to be on the defensive side of the ball.
    i think mobley just has more of a reserved personality (like a duncan or bosh) and that's not necessarily a knock on him. also thought mobley was dumb as rocks from the espn draft interview, but then found out he was an honor student, chess champion, and 4.0 gpa for his 1 yr at USC. guess he's not accustomed to public speaking yet.

i was leaning more towards green and suggs until i binge-watched all three prospects and came away thinking all three are some of the best prospects i've seen in awhile (and obviously, along with cade). this really is going to be a special draft class... for the rockets, even with a best-player-available strategy, i don't think you can go wrong with picking mobley, green, or suggs... but whoever the rockets pick at 2 will probably affect their draft strategy at 23 and 24.

20. edwardc

edwardc Member

Mobley it should be if he continues to work on his shot with the rest of his game we could be looking at KD lite.

albuster likes this.