1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Twins?

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Another curious aspect to Green is that he is part Asian (Philipino) and he would bring with him a fair amount of economic latitude to a franchise with his international following.

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

If we go with Green, I hope we can find a way to unload Wall and resign Olynyk.

KPJ / Augustin
    Green / Thomas / Gordon
    Tate / House
    Olynyk / KMJ
    Wood

Plus the later-round rookies.

#183 Houston77, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  4. varughese.arun

Hahahah how is his shooting fundamentally flawed? This guys shot looks ideal.

RudyTBag, Dopamine and ilovehtownbb like this.
  5. TimDuncanDonaut

Taking the ESPN draft as an example. link

15 of the 25 top prospect are guards, that's 60%. Guards are still favored if we go by %. I doubt 15 of these guards will all pan out.

After Mobley, only two big guys left in the top 25 who are actually 6'10" or taller.

Isiah Jackson - 6'11" PF
    Alperen Sengun - only 6'9" - but listed as center
    Kai Jones - 6'10" PF

Even for the scouts, at least this year, I don't see the super bias on big men.

#185 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 23, 2021
    everyday eddie and JayGoogle like this.
  6. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Don't let Tilman find this out. He'll hit override on another basketball ops decision.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. isaacjunk

isaacjunk Member

Green vs Mobley: From the highlights I've seen, feels like Mobley isn't that special right now as a scorer. With the #2 pick I need great offense...barring injury seems like Green's floor is higher than Mobley's. Mobley would need a lot extra to go right to develop into a top-tier threat offensively, with a top pick I value offense over defense in today's game. Thus Green

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, this is something I mentioned in another draft thread too. In this draft, Mobley is the rarer player. We can get a guard or wing later in the draft but Mobley is clear and ahead easily the best big man prospect of this draft.

Whether he's a bust or not, who knows...but I do think Mobley, if all things are even, is the more unique player. The best SG prospect nearly every year is a 'dynamic' scorer.

Not many years the best big prospect can put the ball on the floor, a great passer, and play perimeter defense.

everyday eddie, Rudyc281 and RudyTBag like this.
  9. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

10. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

So, if Cunningham isn't available, I would go Jaylen Green right now based on what I see. He has gifted athletic ability, playmaking potential can shoot off the dribble and his weaknesses like defensive footwork can be fixed with coaching.

Also, Schmitz called Lamelo ball last year and scouts these guys from the age of 13, he knows what he's talking about for the most part.

11. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Look at how many PF/C drafted in 2020-21 that helped their team significantly- 0. Last year's top 20 PF/C picks: J.Hayes, R.Hachimara, PJ Washington, C.Okeke, G.Bitatze and L.Samanic. All had little impact on their teams this past season. Go Green!!!!

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Mobley has plenty of potential but uniqueness doesn't equal star power. Either you have star power or you don't. I've compared Mobley to JJJ, who I really like and is also quite a unique player. JJJ still has room to grow, but he'll likely never be Luka or Trae's level who were drafted right before and after him. I mean, Mobley is more unique than even Cade but Cade is clearly the better prospect.

everyday eddie and rkh-dog like this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, that 29.1 PER looks like some star power to me.

Potential top 3 team defense wherever he goes, with 25 points on top of that.

We might be looking at a KG-type player here.

Thank Christ I am not Rafael.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wouldn't have thought about him as a 2nd round pick, if he was just a scorer. He can pass the ball too. Scoot is more of a PG, Green is a SG who can pass when needed.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I can see why people like Jalen Green now, but how exactly do him and Kevin Porter Jr work together? KPJ is more of a SG playing PG and Green is 100% shooting guard. Green seems like he needs the ball in his hands to succeed as well.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ive decided I am already sick of Green-Only-Fans.

I have to work hard to seperate my feelings about Green, who is a fine player, from how I feel about his slavering minions.

The good news for you guys is that, as the flashiest scorer there, i bet The Frittata favors Green. If he doesnt trade the pick for a washed up star, i see Tillman pretty clearly favoring the splashiest guy.

#196 Ottomaton, Jun 23, 2021
  17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Marvin Bagley had a 30.6 PER his freshman year at Duke. It did not equate to star power.

rkh-dog, coachbadlee and BossHogg713 like this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

19. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Tell that to the blazers

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is true, but Marvin Bagley is also not a generational defender, nor was he ever thought to become one.