1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Never pick a big to be your franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jun 22, 2021.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

The thing that really pushes me Mobley's way is flexibility. I think his floor is a Rudy Gobert type that totally transforms the Rocket's defense into something closer to a strength. It is easy to see him on offense as the roll man who finishes KPJ's lobs or swings the ball on the move to an open Wood. I can see him being a 20/10 based a lot on the fact that he will have a speed and agility advantage almost every night against the opposing center. Finally, I think that the Rockets can find guys like Josh Christopher or Bones Hyland later to bring scoring to the team as Mobley's offense develops.

With Green, I just think he has to reach some pretty rarified air to surpass what Mobley brings. Green is unlikely to be a game changing defender so he is really going all in on offense. The problem is that, up until now, his entire offense has been isolation. His team's best shot was always whatever shot Green can create for himself and so that is what he is. Now if he is as effective at that as Kobe or MJ then he should be the guy. However, I am not sure that he will be on that level offensively and I have no reason to think Green's most ardent supporters would argue he is on that level defensively.

Suggs and Kuminga I like fit wise better than Green but both are in a tier below Green and Mobley.

What I would be interested in is a scenario where the Rockets selected Mobley, Trey Murphy and Josh Christopher. Pairing those guys with Wood, KPJ, Tate, Martin and Thomas would make for a strong defensive base that really would have an interesting potential offense. I am truly hoping that the Rockets are able to trim some of the fat off the roster in exchange for a couple of second round picks. I think Joe Wieskamp is a guy that is potentially a Duncan Robinson type player with better defense and Scottie Lewis has some potential as a stopper on the wing. I would gladly exchange House and Augustin for a couple of second rounders to scoop those guys up.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No one can win a ring by themselves. My point is guys like Jokic and Embid cannot win a ring as the best player on their team. A supurior guard or primary ball handler like Lebron is required.

Look at Trae's team beating Embid's. Embid is a supurior player to Trae yet Trae led his team better. Why? Because in today's NBA it's much easier to shut down a big man and make them disappear in a game. Guards dominate the ball today and they can control who gets the ball better. Another example is the Nuggets Suns series. Jokic is the best player between those two teams but the team with the better backcourt still won.

How many games have you seen guys like AD or Anthony Towns just completely disappear in a game in the modern NBA? They have games where they don't impact the offensive end much because defenses have an easier time denying them the ball. Hell look at our team and how difficult it is to get Wood possessions to score. I don't know if Mobley will fill out but I can see him having trouble establishing position and getting touches.

You need a superior guard/primary ball handler to win rings today. Gianni's is another example of a guy who isn't going to go win a ring unless he pairs up with an elite guard. Wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks, a far inferior team beats the Bucks.

Milos likes this.
  3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Great post

Mobley has a really high basketball IQ and isn't come kind of project imo. I live in a pac 12 market and watch mostly pac 12 basketball. The guy looked like an NBA player at USC, he played with a maturity much greater than a 19 year old. He plays smart, obviously on the defensive end, but also offensively. Like you said, he is a great passer and reads the game well. But on defense, he's a total game changer. He is a rim protector with the ability to switch onto anyone and excel, he can anchor an incredible defense.

Cons: He's still extending his range, not quite a reliable 3 point shooter yet, but I believe he will make it there. He could also put on a little weight, however he still plays with a toughness.

He has the perfect skillset for a modern NBA center. Being a center, he may only end up being a #2 option ultimately, but the talent is undeniable.

Like I said earlier, Mobley, Suggs, and Green are all good picks.

HTXSportsAddict and JayGoogle like this.
  4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why are we assuming that if we pick Mobley that he's the guy who is going to lead the team? We are going to have a top 5 pick next year too. And possibly the year after that.

And honestly your examples are weird. You are arguing against bigs in general, but we all know you're specifically arguing against Mobley.

So first:

Anthony Davis is a very bad example as he just won a championship as the #2 guy. I'll take an championship level #2 guy gladly in this draft.

Zion Williamson - Can't get his team into the playoffs? He is 20 friggin' years old. He's still younger than a whole lot of the guys that will get drafted in the lottery.

DeAndre Ayton did just make the WCF, but I don't think any of us know it's Booker's team. That is CP3's team. Booker's team didn't make the playoffs. Ayton is proving to be a very valuable part of their team though. The only knock is they could have had Luka or Tray (and if there was a Luka or Tray to be drafted after Mobley I'd be all for taking them instead)

Joel Embiid - He's also fragile. But is there any evidence that Mobley suffers from either of those issues? If not, why are we comparing them?

Nikola Jokic - I agree his lack of lateral quickness is a huge issue in the playoffs. Good thing Evan Mobley doesn't suffer from that!

Very weird post, bro.

And btw, I am not even advocating for Mobley at the #2 (I am very much undecided between he and Green). I just wouldn't rule him out simply for being a big.

#164 Williamson, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think it’s still the opposite... despite traditional centers becoming like dinosaurs .

you still need a big .

there used to be an adage that you can’t win a championship unless your best player is over “insert some height”

did curry buck the trend and now you can win with your best player as a smaller guard?

But unless you’ve had Lebron , kawhi , or KD on your team you lost . 2011 mavs had size . Boston big 3 best player was either 6’7” pierce or KG .

if James harden was literally the same except scaled up 2” would we have won ?

cade was big enough at 6’6”+

are Suggs and green big enough ?

Mobley might never be able to initiate the offense or shoot 3’s at a high clip . But if he’s good from the ft line , can finish inside , has a post move or two ... and most importantly can guard 3-5 on defense ... then he can be the best player on a championship team .

he’s a bit of a twig . It takes bigs longer to fully develop (if they do )

this is why contenders in the nba don’t go straight from lottery to conference finals .

look at Dallas . They landed a 6’8” do it all combo player who was already experienced and nba ready ... yet they haven’t done **** .

atl has Young , but look at all the other pieces they have .

PHX has booker and Ayton and MIL is self explanatory.

Granted , you can’t just look back . But , size matters .

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The OP still thinks a big in today's game is more Patrick Ewing and David Robinson than Anthony Davis or Nikola Jokic.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes. He has obscene potential. But he is also the most NBA ready of the guys likely to go 2-5. If you're afraid of guys with high potential who are project players, who the hell are you going to take? Jalen Green is a project. Jonathan Kuminga is a HUGE project. Jalen Suggs then? He has the lowest ceiling by far. And I am weary of point guards who aren't reliable shooters in the modern NBA. He may can develop his shot, but that still makes him at least something of project, just a project with significantly less potential than the others.

8. TimDuncanDonaut

Like this?

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/nba-attempt-at-rule-changes.311948/

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He could be Thabeet though.... no wait.... Kwame?..... no wait, Darko?.... no wait, .... Bennett! .... no wait... Oden.... no wait .... Stromile...

Yeah let's not draft a big in the top 2.

DreamShook likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Anthony Bennett thanks you for this argument.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Even If I like what I see from Mobley in these highlights, I'm always going to pick a Guard Small Forward in the lottery.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

such a long list of bigs that dont pan out. I would just pick the small guy and keep it moving.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

While I would go guard in todays game, how can you criticize Zion for not making the playoffs. He's 20 years old.

I'd love to have any of those guys, except Ayton with this pick (not that Ayton isn't a franchise player, he just hasn't shown it quite yet).

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

OP's reach with this thread is longer than Rudy Gobert's

15. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I'll believe it when I see it. Deciding a motion is unnatural is so subjective. This will be very difficult to enforce, just like the anti-flopping rule was never enforced. An easier-to-enforce rule change would be to bring perimeter hand-checking back, but still disallow contact in the shooting motion. The incidental touch fouls on the 3pt line are a joke.

16. TimDuncanDonaut

True, we won't know 'till we see it.

Could be like the free throw count rule, where Refs didn't call it on Giannis.

Or something different. Personally never been a fan of a penetrator driving to a big with his two arms straight up, and the foul is on the big. Makes the game ugly and just like, how the heck is anyone supposed to defend in this league. Then at the end of game, people just fawn over player X, with a 30/40 burger. Well yea, duh.... that's going to happen when teams can't defend near the rim.

I guess we'll see.

intergalactic likes this.
  17. Rocket_Man_2.0

Evan Mobley= Hasheen Thabeet 2.0....stay far away!

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

As did Kwame Brown...And Kristaps Porzingis is setting the league on fire right now (NOT!).

BossHogg713 likes this.
  19. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I still can't believe the title of this entire thread to begin with. Rockets have a tradition of big men as much as the Astros have a tradition of second basemen. Elvin Hayes, Moses Malone, Ralph Sampson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Yao Ming are all offended by this. We had more success with them than the likes of Stevie "Franchise."

HTXSportsAddict and JayGoogle like this.