1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is there a place I can see projected starting pitchers for Skeeters games? I'm going with my dad tomorrow as kind of a delayed Father's Day gift, but can't seem to find anywhere what the starting pitcher will be.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They usually don’t list the SP until right before the game. If they do list it you could find if via the milb scoreboard: https://www.milb.com/scores/houston-astros/2021-06-23

RunninRaven likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

One thing i haven’t seen talked about is the idea that this seasons minor league numbers might be more meaningful than prior seasons due to the missed 2020. For example, based AAA on stats, Jake Meyers looks like an elite prospect. But prior to this season he was a fringey prospect known as a defense first late round pick, so the tendency would be to discount 2021 somewhat. But if you draw a line from his 2019 numbers (excelled in High A, struggled in 100 AA pa) to 2021, it might make it more reasonable that his AAA are more legitimate. What’s to say Meyers wouldn’t have hit really well in AA last season? So a 2019 of performing well in High A as a non-prospect, followed by a 2020 of hitting really well in AA where he puts himself in the Org Top 30 mix, then a 2021 where he clobbers AAA pitching…that sounds more like the trajectory of a legit future everyday player just developing well.

Same kind of story could be told for all the guys who seem to breaking out (Lee, Matijevic, Perez, De La Cruz, McKenna, Barefoot, Dawson, Macuare, Melendez, etc.). Had those guys had 2020 to show their development, they may have been much more highly thought of entering 2021.

So all that is to say I am starting to lean more into buying 2021 breakouts more than I normally would, and I think if the prospect sites are smart we will see way more of a shakeup (2 seasons worth) in the ranking lists later this year.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've seen it talked about in a couple of places that there is a lot more uncertainty in the prospect rankings than usual. BA is treating 2021 stats like they were before until they get larger samples unless there is a significant upgrade to the tools (e.g., better plate discipline, harder hit balls, swing change, velo uptick).

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I do think sample size needs to be there, but once guys start getting 200+ pa this year I will treat most of those stats as pretty meaningful. And a full seasons worth (600+ pa) will carry a ton of weight. These young guys can change so much in 18 months and this season a guy jumping 2-3 tiers in value shouldn’t be off the table if his numbers support it.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros prospects ranked among qualified leaders in all of MiLB by position in wRC+:

C: Korey Lee 12th
    1B: Scott Schreiber 3rd, JJ Matijevic 12th, Norel Gonzalez 15th
    3B: Joe Perez 2nd
    RF: Marty Costes 11th, Jake Meyers 26th
    CF: Matthew Barefoot 4th, Alex McKenna 7th, Meyers 25th
    LF: Barefoot 8th, Matijevic 15th, Costes 20th

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

8. prospecthugger

Enmanuel Valdez has hit 2 HRs in 3 of his last 5 games, and he's now tied with McKenna for the year with 12 in Asheville. Bandbox caveats apply, but he's got some real power and contact ability from the left side.

Htown Legend and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

anyone willing to post the text of this?

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pretty low ceiling player since I don’t think he’ll have much defensive or base running value. But he could end up as a decent bench bat who can fill in at 2B/3B.

Lots of these Asheville guys we really won’t know until they get to AA. I really like what Perez is showing but Barefoot, McKenna, Schreiber, and Valdez will need to have success in Corpus before than can be taken seriously.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Excerpts:
    The stuff is the same high-octane brand that generated buzz during Brown’s brief stint in rookie ball in 2019, in instructional league last fall and during spring training. With Corpus Christi, his fastball has ranged from 93 to 97 mph and topped out at 99. His slider sits at 86 to 89 mph and has touched 91. And the spike curveball he’s developed with the Astros ranges from 78 to 83 mph and has even crept into the mid-80s. He also has an 85 to 88 mph changeup but throws it sparingly.

“It’s one of those curveballs where you’ve seen other pitchers who have a similar movement profile to it and maybe even throw it as hard as he does, which is probably still a little unique — as hard and as big a shape as he’s been able to throw it. But it’s like you’re playing catch with him and it seems to have another gear to it,” said Johnson, a pitching coach in the Astros’ system since 2018. “You feel like you have your glove where you expect it to go and then it just keeps going. It’s definitely not the (Cristian) Javier invisiball or anything like that, but it kind of does a little more than you expect it to as you’re watching or even when you’re playing catch with him.”

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

His age and those skis at the bottom of his legs tell me this dude might be sitting 98-99 with movement over 6+ innings by the time he reached the majors. Huge ceiling.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

When does the Dominican summer league start? I assume that the Astros will field one team like they did in 2019.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think it may still be up in the air. I think they’d scheduled to start July 12 but I have seen sites say they may delay or not play at all.

No Worries likes this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

OF Franklin Pinto was added to the High a roster. He was a 6 figure bonus international signee. Showed pretty well in the GCL in 2019. Otherwise I don’t know much about him.

Luis Santana was put on the IL to make room.

17. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

18. htownbball

htownbball Member

Korey Lee is a monster. Please don't trade him.

19. HeyBudLetsParty

What’s the ETA on this guy, if he keeps hitting like this I’m expecting after service time kicks in next season.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. HeyBudLetsParty