1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Athletic) Detroit might pass on Cade and take Jalen Green #1?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 22, 2021.

1. vick

vick Member

I would give your left nut also to get Cade.

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Cade projects as Grant Hill 2.0 which is amazing of course.

Green IMHO has Eddie Jones as his floor and Kobe as his ceiling.

Then you have Mobley who could be AD/Dream or Thabeet/Millicic/Kwame Brown/Olowakandi/Oden/Noel.

Cade is the surer thing. Green slightly less so but with a higher unlikely to reach ceiling. Mobley is too boom or bust for me.

Detroit - Cade
    Houston - Green
    Cleveland - Mobley

That’s how it should go.

Corrosion, ak99999, AXG and 5 others like this.
  3. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Obviously Cade or Green. Green looks attractive more than Cade. If your the rockets and select Mobley, its always been about centers for Houston. But the truth is they already have C-Wood, and it makes no sence, unless you plan on trading wood soon, or letting his contract run out, and this time you could let Mobley take the helm at what 23?

Not a bad plan either way, or just go scoring route with Green. Everyone saying Mobley will come in and defensively put the team on right track. Its good either way, i personally think you should for once not go with the Center tradition even thou it might bite you in the long run. Green is very attractive option. Rockets fans should be extremely excited :)

Lloyd Estacio and Jontro like this.
  4. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

5. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Good teams make bad players good.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

This piston podcast; the beat writer is saying 40% chance Weaver takes Green

JusBleezy likes this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Based on the highlights I've seen, he reminds me more of a Bosh type player. It isn't bad, but Bosh was not as great as a franchise player, but a damn good 2nd/3rd option to a contending team. I certainly would not mind that if that's what Mobley turned into.

My thoughts is that we will need one more year of tanking in our books to collect one more talent. I'm sure General Wall is up to the task.

8. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Usually stuff like this is bluff, but this time I’m not so sure.

Jalen Green is the real deal. Many forget he was the #1 player in the country out of high school. I have no doubt that remains the same if he went to college.

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting thing I hadn't considered yet.

If hypothetically Cade and Mobley go 1 and 2, what does Cleveland do? I think at #3 you go BPA, but the last 3 years they have picked Okoro, Garland and Sexton -- all guys they seem to like and would log jam Green. If Suggs and Green are on the board, what do they do? I could see them either trying to push to trade up for Cade or trading out.

That puts a lot more interest in what the Rockets will do at #2 -- anyone dealing with Cleveland at #3 needs to be concerned with what we do at #2.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Lost in all of this is the fact that Detroit drafted a point guard last year in Killian Hayes

https://www.theringer.com/2021/6/23/22546865/should-the-pistons-ignore-fit-and-take-cade-cunningham

I doubt Detroit would pass on Cade because they have Hayes but this is the conundrum that causes bad franchises to pick for fit first instead of Best Player Available.

don grahamleone and clutchdabear like this.
  11. DaneB

DaneB Member

I really enjoyed watching Oden in college. He would have ended up being one of the best big men of all time, if he could stay healthy. It sucks that Brandon Roy wasn’t able to stay healthy either…Blazers are firmly my #2 team!

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Except that Bosh was already a really good shooter when he came into the league, Mobley isn't. I'm not getting all of the Bosh comparisions for a guy that isn't a good shooter. It's like being a Ray Allen without the jump shot. What does that even mean?

Corrosion, ElPigto and ApacheWarrior like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

That would be dumb

15. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

In his first season with the Thunder in 2008, Weaver pushed for drafting Russell Westbrook with the No. 4 overall pick in the draft, when at the time, Westbrook wasn't projected as an elite recruit.

16. TimDuncanDonaut

If Detroit doesn't MotorCade, and goes Green, then it makes it easy for the Rockets right? ;)

Point is, even if GMs play mind games, this move doesn't make it any difficult for the Rockets.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Cade or Green. No other options here.

slothy420, AXG, red5rocket and 4 others like this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Some Rockets relevant stuff on here:
    -Troy Weaver (DET GM) has been high on Jalen Green all year and is "a wild card" and someone "that doesn't subscribe to groupthink" when it comes to draft eval & pref
    -Evan Mobley isn't a loud vocal leader type
    - Both guys have Suggs 2nd https://t.co/zapou59V5m

— Don Knock (@DonKnock) June 23, 2021

(ctd):
    -Rockets have to consider Mobley's quieter personality in how they want to construct their locker room, Isaiah Mobley was the vocal leader for the USC team but Evan did try to "come out of his shell" more the last few seasons
    -Vecinie has Mobley as All-NBA ceiling

-Vecinie likes Suggs aggressiveness
    -Green's athleticism and ability to produce against pros in G League are key and his shooting looks legit as well as half court creation abilities trajectory is most intriguing; needs to add strength
    -Pennie has Mobley as more off-the ball guy

ReturnOfTheMac likes this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

OKC needed to move Horford

Probably like the Rockets need to move Bradley and Augustin.
    Their skills are being wasted in Houston not to mention taking
    away FGA's by our young players.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member