1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Never pick a big to be your franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jun 22, 2021.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lebron is 6'8 right? He can play as a guard but he isnt a guard he is a big wtf. Thats why he is dominant and thats why guard led teams like cp3, nash and Harden havent won in recent years except for Curry and technically it was a 1 off cuz KD was their best player after.

Green is not Lebron or KD those guys are 6'8 and 6'10 Green is only 6'5. Cade is the Lebron in this class not Green so you are making a false argument. Mobley isnt Lebron but neither is Green so whats your point? Cade can do everything Green can do and Cade is 6'8 while Green is only 6'5. You see the difference???? Green isnt a forward he is a guard he is inferior to forwards like Cade cuz Cade can play 4 positions with his height Green can only play 2. Neither Green nor Mobley gonna be "league runner" of this draft but impact wise Mobley has higher upside to Green.

Just because someone is primary ballhandler doesnt mean he is better lol between Jamal Murray and Jokic who do you take no 1? You really gonna take Murray cuz he is the guard?

#141 roslolian, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes and guess what Mobley has range he can shoot like a guard as well

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Green is shooting 37% on 6 attempts from 3 in the G-League. That's nothing to scoff at because it means he is already capable of hitting NBA 3s consistently against stronger competition.

Why are you being so derisive? I like Mobley and I don't think you can really make a bad decision with either one. I just prefer Green personally because I think he is a lower risk.

cbass likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not being derisive I'm saying examine your reasons high flying dunking dude is not less risky than land bound thin forward.

Yeah Green can hit the 3 but you can see he is ball dominant same with 50 pter KPJ and 25 10 CWood. They all need the ball to be effective they arent off the ball scorers so its not a great fit. Mobley is like Capela with 3 pt range his value is as a roll man with spacing on offense while defending guys 2-5. So in terms of fit he fits better than Green.

#144 roslolian, Jun 23, 2021
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

If the best players are forwards then it isnt a guard's league it's a forwards league.

Forwards can do what guards do and they can do what bigs can do as well thats why its their league it's not guard'a league.

6. bmelo

bmelo Member

We were by far worst in the league theres nothing to be thankful for top4

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

And we won 2 rings in the past as well past is past.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

If you're not being derisive then you are being intentionally inflammatory. Taller players being more injury prone isn't a secret, I'm literally citing an article from 538 talking about this and you're somehow upset that I'm citing data.

Yes it doesn't mean shorter, super athletic players don't get injured, but there is a difference being a player being more prone to injury because of his size and height (which is usually not something someone can control) versus how they play and land (which is more controllable).

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not upset I'm saying playstyle also factors into injury right? I dont have a study but using common sense you can see how a dude who takes a lot of stress and impact on his legs and joints is gonna be injury prone right? Its not an outlier JWall, DRose, Westbrook, DSJ etc

People cant always control their playstyle. Giannis cant wake up one day and decide he will just be a spot up shooter now. I mean he can do that but he wont be effective. So Jalen Green is the same his playstyle of high impact is what he is gonna do in the NBA.

You can argue both of them are injury risk. So thats not a benefit to Green cuz his playstyle makes him injury risk same as Mobley. If Mobley just stays land bound while Green starts playing like a guard version of Zion guess what my money is on Mobley having a healthier career.

#149 roslolian, Jun 23, 2021
  10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Yes, but there is a common theme between the 4. None of them have a jump shot, so they are more reliant on athleticism and quickness in their game.

A better comparison would be Zach Lavine, and whilst Lavine did suffer from an ACL injury, he's only been getting better.

Well, I'm citing an article, which already factors in hyper athletic players from the lottery. I get your reasoning, but I guess the data shows something different.

[​IMG]

11. Milos

Milos Member

I've been leading TEAM MOBLEY charge for months now
    He is my clear #2 pick, and I would probably take him over Cade if DET goes for Green or Suggs #1

Evan is most impressive big to come out since ADavis IMO
    Least developed of big4 right now, but his upside is once-in-a-decade rare
    As someone else mentioned already, he just needs to become more assertive and bulk up
    Both of which are among the most fixable weaknesses a prospect can have with a good staff in place

Suggs and Green are intriguing but I see nothing unicorn-like about either

Green is easily the worst DEF player among the big4, and the most 1-dimensional OFF player to boot
    He may win the scoring title multiple times in his career because his 1 elite skill (scoring) is that special
    KPJ has flashed similar skills as a scorer with a much better sense of how to create for others
    He takes a back seat to no one when it comes to explosive athleticism and supreme confidence
    I pass on him because his game lacks diversity at this point

I love watching Suggs play
    His relentless drive to compete at full speed is Russ-like sometimes, except he goes hard at both ends
    His build is so stout for his size that I have no worries about his pace and physical style wearing him down
    I do continue to worry about his skill level as a lead guard, despite the physical gifts that are truly special
    He is really only a straight-line penetrator up to this point, and just average using a pick to find easy buckets
    He has no mid-range game at all to this point, and his 3pt shot is mediocre at best
    The skills part of his game (shot, handle) needs a lot more work, but those 2 things usually improve for guards after the first year or 2 with hard work
    On DEF, he is a relentless, physical, engaged presence up top that can occasionally smother the point man individually when needed
    His off-the-charts intangibles (leader, clutch, hustle) should make him a long-time starter in the NBA, but IMO he has the least 'superstar' potential among the big4
    Even Kuminga may pass him in time
    Plus, on this team, he may not get to play more than 20+ MPG as a rookie
    Wall and Gordon will miss time (of course), but I don't want the centerpiece of this rebuild to struggle finding minutes

12. jb86

jb86 Member

The big man is coming back into the league. The guard heavy stuff is about to die out. We need at least 4 big men on the squad. And all of them needs to be able to shoot from 3.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

It doesnt factor hyper athletic as it doesnt show the no of hyper athletic shorties and isolate them to show how injury prone they are. Most guards arent hyper athletic they are quick but they arent dunk from ft line athletic. What if they are only 5 hyper athletic guys who are injury prone vs 1000 reggie millers in that total guard population? Green has more in common with DRose than Reggie Miller so most of that guard data is just noise as thats not how Green will be playing.

Thanks for mentioning Lavine. You can see here he has missed 10+ games almost every season except for 1 yr where he didnt miss any. So yeah hyper athletic guards are indedd injury prone just like bigs.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/lavinza01.html

#153 roslolian, Jun 23, 2021
  14. bmelo

bmelo Member

Bigmen maybe coming back but Mobley isnt cornerstone. I prefer Green all the way

15. Milos

Milos Member

You also just described the average playoff result for teams led by Dame, Harden, CP3, Luka, Giannis, Simmons, PG13, Russ, Beal, Tatum, etc

Combined, just those 10 perimeter superstars have led their team past the second round twice
    Harden got rolled out hard by GS both times in the WCF each time

It is hardly unique to superstar bigs that playoff success can be hard to achieve when you don't have a SuperFriends team to help
    It took LeBron 7 years alone to realize he needed guys like Wade, Kyrie & Davis to win rings in this era

It really stinks for the other 27 or so teams each year, but real contention is impossible for any superstar unless he can find at least 1 similarly talented new teammate, and he might even need 3 to get over the hump

Neither MJ nor Wilt never won a thing solo either

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

When you're right - you're right. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Mobley is not quite the college prospect that Dream was.

banzai likes this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Was anyone here old enough to watch dream in his freshman season?

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I was only a few years old and my memories stem from the raucous parties my Fam would throw. Beautiful thing about YouTube is it gives everyone a glimpse and makes it fairly obvious just how cant miss Akeem Olajuwon was. Cant say I feel the same about Evan Mobley sadly.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This hot take was ridiculous when it was first posted last night and, after letting it simmer over night, it's still ridiculous now.

1. If the Best Player Available at #2 is Mobley then you take him

The Rockets don't have the luxury of not drafting a big because of how difficult it could be to build around said big in 2021. This organization needs talent, regardless of position/size.

2. Mobley isn't Okafor, Wiseman or any of the other bigs that have failed in terms of skillset

From what I've seen Mobley has a much more fluid offensive game and the way he defends is more calculated than just "I'm big so I'm going to just take up air space".

3. Adding a talent on the front court is actually a NEED in today's NBA

Look at the last 4 teams still standing, all but one team has a legit talent on the front court: Ayton, Giannis, Collins/Capela. Going back one round you had Jokic, Gobert, Embiid, and Durant, guys that are at least 6'10" and can spread the floor or cover the floor on the defensive end. The way to build your team post-Warriors dynasty is to have a legit perimeter player paired with a legit big man. Booker/Ayton, Holliday/Giannis, Trae/Collins/Capela, Jokic/Murray, Gobert/Mitchell, Embiid/?, Durant/Kyrie/Harden.

Is KPJ our legit perimeter player? He has potential. Would Green be our legit perimeter player? Possibly, but if Stone thinks Mobley is the BPA among Mobley, Suggs and Green then we'll roll with Mobley. If we take Green because he's the BPA in Stone's eyes then we'll take him.

4. Well we already have a big and his name is Wood

That's true but I never though Christian would be the long term solution for this team. It would have been nice to have seen him play along side Harden but that never came into fruition. I'd prefer to trade him for as many assets as possible to a team starved for front court talent (e.g. Boston) once we figure out who is going to be drafted and who Stone is going to acquire this summer.

#159 steddinotayto, Jun 23, 2021
    JayGoogle likes this.
  20. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Traditional big play is not coming back unless there is a rules change. Maybe it'll happen, with Embiid complaining about the uneven officiating of bigs vs guards. But until then, the only way a big can dominate is, as you say, if they also have above average guard-like skills.