1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breakdown of our choices at 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 22, 2021.

?

Who should we take?

1. Green

223 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Mobley

110 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Suggs

40 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I don't think missing the playoffs will be a problem. Regardless of who we draft, playing young guys big minutes will be a short term step back. I.e we will be bad again next year.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't even have a preference for Mobley, just a preference for honesty. What you said was factually inaccurate and you wrongfully claimed it as a fact. You won't acknowledge it. Bigs have led teams deep into the playoffs many times. They have even done it this season (Giannis). They have also led teams to many NBA championships. It is arguably more rare for teams to win championships without an elite big. The Lakers won a championship with an elite big just last year. Just admit you misspoke. Admit you were wrong. It's fine. We are all wrong sometimes.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

You dont just wanna miss the playoffs you wanna do a The Process and get 50-50 on the top pick again. The Rox got 3 picks if 2 of those are lotto you can prob flip it for a top 3 pick.

Thats one of the reasons I like Mobley he ensures Rox will be bad. Plus Wood can be shipped for more assets we dont need a 26 yr old who wants to win Rox are rebuilding and should just think of rebuilding.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I would much rather prefer drafting either Chet Holmgren or Paolo Banchero over Evan Mobley.

5. aelliott

Because he isn't a primary ball handler. That's not his game. Nobody is going to run their offense through Green.

Yes, he did shoot the ball, no denying that. Joe Harris takes 6 threes per game, do you consider him to be primarily on the ball or off. How about Klay? He puts up lots of shots as nd hes the definition of an off the ball guy.

It's not an issue of number of shots. It's about who runs the offense. Porter is much more effective when he runs the offense. Green allows him to do that. There's plenty of shots to go round. Maybe give Green a nice chunk of the shots that Wall was hoisting up?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone hypes up the Kobe's because of the flash factor, but Kobe wasn't going anywhere without Shaq or Pau.

HTXSportsAddict and roslolian like this.
  7. aelliott

You are worrying for nothing. We are going to suck again next year regardless of who we draft.

Sure we could trade some picks and assets and not be terrible but hopefully we are smarter than that.

roslolian likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Those guys are gone at no 2 we cant guarantee we will be there next year to get those guys.

Jalen Green type players are far easier to draft than Mobley type players. Theres lots of them every year.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Off the ball guy means spot up and hand offs for dunks right? This review says he was mostly used as the offensive hub for Ignite and operated frequently in isolation. Lol thats not an iff the ball scorer. Iso scorer is the opposite of off the ball scorer.

https://hashtagbasketball.com/nba-draft/content/scouting-report-film-review-jalen-green

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

1. Green
    2. Mobley
    3. Suggs

But I am totally cool with Mobley

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He can score in bunches, but he pretty much only calls his own number, he's not a guy you want running your offense. He works much better if you have someone next to him running the offense and setting him up for scoring opportunities

12. Nook

Nook Member

Anthony Davis carried LeBron James as much as LeBron James carried him the last two years.

If you told me that Mobley would be 80% of the player Davis is, then I would immediately take Mobley and never give it a second though.

Everyone is assuming that the player the Rockets take at #2 has to be the long term best player on the team, and while that would be great, I doesn't have to work that way.

The reality is that there may not be a player available at #2 that can carry a team to a title. It may well be that the Rockets need to target someone that can be a long term starter and a #2-3 type player on a title winning team. The Rockets will likely be high in the lottery next season as well, and the draft next year has a number of dynamic players to choose from in the top 7-8 picks.

13. aelliott

No, off the ball means that creating for others isn't his primary responsibility.

Whether you run iso or not doesn't determine if your on or off the ball. Everyone has to be on the ball when they score.

On the ball means running the offense and being responsible for creating for others. That's the role that brings out the best in Porter. Nobody is saying that Porter needs to take all the shots. Please, don't let Porter take all the shots.

It's the reason that so many people questioned the fit of Harden/Paul and Harden/WB. All of those guys were used to being the QB of the offense. They were able to make it work but Porter has struggled when the offense wasn't run through him.

You pair Porter with another PG and Porter's effectiveness falls off.

Nook likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Taking a swing on project bigs is how franchises find themselves in decades long rebuilds. taking the known commodity among wing players in a guard driven league is the safest hedge IMO.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  15. MystikArkitect

Interesting 3 picks. Honestly have no idea which way to go and have changed my mind on it at least 5x since the picks happened.

Jalen Green - I'd say a huge upside here but you can't really look at Mobley and say Green has more upside. I'd say he's the most electric and will get you oohs and aahs. Has superstar ceiling and his ability to create space is elite. What would his role be? Maybe like a mixture of Steph and Klay? Wouldn't mind seeing the Rockets run screens like the Warriors for him.

Evan Mobley - Oof. Big guys are weird. Could he a total stiff like Bargnani or Milicic. Could be another Chris Bosh. His raw skillset and size make him, to me, as intriguing a prospect as Cade. Could be Embiid with better handles and hopefully not injury prone. Has the most upside but probably the most downside. It's a shooters league now. It boils down to his attitude.

Jalen Suggs - Can't. Teach. A. Winning. Mentality. We've seen it over the years with Harden. The only time we could've won a chip was when he had a PG who was nails from mid range and could control the entire court with his vision and intelligence. You can't teach that. Suggs is the least physically gifted but miles better than the other two mentally. He's the reason Gonzaga was #1 the whole year. The safest pick and plays with a chip.

So to sum it all up....I dont ****ing know.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

As long as it's not Suggs, I'm happy. They guy is going to be slight above average at best. He doesn't have the athleticism to be a franchise player and nothing he's shown in college suggest that he is going to be CP3 or even Kyle Lowry. He's not a good shooter or an elite passer.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Everyone is saying the NBA is now a guards league, it's now a 3 point league. What I like about pairing Mobley with Wood is one of them can play inside while the other one plays outside. Having a 7 footer at the 3 point line means you always have an open 3, the shooting percentage is the rub. If it's a learnable trainable skill then I would focus on that. But nobody is stopping a 7 footer from shooting it.

On defense, yes both are under sized and going to get pushed around, but having another premier shot blocker coming to help should limit the inside game. And both can switch off on smaller quicker players. You could add a big body for spot defense at #23 or 24 (Bassey?)

dcfma and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  18. aelliott

Agreed that AD was as much responsible for their title as Lebron. The last 3 years, Lebron without AD hasn't been pretty.

AD's offense coming out of college was way ahead of Mobleys. Davis had a postup game and could shoot the outside shot. Davis was also a much better rebounder.

You are also correct that there likely isn't a #1 guy available to us in th his draft. That's the current state of the draft, it's a gamble. High picks frequently don't pan out. They are far from sure things.

HTXSportsAddict, Nook and BossHogg713 like this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Pau wasn't going anywhere without Kobe. And Shaq didn't win a ring until he had Kobe and then rode the coattails of Wade

BossHogg713 likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya Mobley looks like a solid number 2 or 3 on a championship team but I just don't see him being the best player on a team competing for a ring.

Teams rarely get the 2nd overall pick. When you get a pick that high, you are looking for a 1a guy and Green seems far more like a 1A guy especially in the modern guard dominated league.

ilias likes this.