1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Springer/Reddick vs Tucker/Straw

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Apr 2, 2021.

?

Will 2020 Springer/Reddick or 2021 Tucker/Straw have the higher OPS?

1. 2020 Springer/Reddick

45 vote(s)
    60.8%
  2. 2021 Tucker/Straw

29 vote(s)
    39.2%
  1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Replacement level is usually done as a total player. When looking at defense only, the positional adjustment is usually included as playing CF below average relative to other CFs still adds value unless atrociously bad, and replacement level is about whether a player is adding value or not. Straw for his career has been above replacement level overall, but still below average. As I don't think Straw is an above average replacement level hitter/offensive player, I take calling Straw as replacement level defensively as a bias.

The biggest issue with him is he adds no pop which means he has to be nearly perfect every where else to be even an average player. As he isn't perfect everywhere else, he's better suited for 4th OF. Though if the Astros trade for a CF, it will likely need to be someone at least an average starter as despite being this season's whipping boy...he's not completely the suckiest guy that's ever sucked.

#101 Joe Joe, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

He's a classic case of a .300 hitting minor leaguer with zero pop - those guys tend to get swallowed up by major league pitchers who can pitch unafraid of a powerless bat.

What I have been surprised about is that he doesn't make full use of his speed on the basepaths or in the field. He's got a physical gift that he doesn't take advantage of, because he makes too many mistakes. I don't accept that he's new - he's been playing centerfield since he was drafted in 2015 - I'm sure he played center in high school, college too. He's been running the bases forever. You can't be a "speed and defense only" player who's only average, or slightly above, on both. Adam Everett was a bad hitter, but his glove was elite. Michael Bourn was gold glove on defense and a stolen base weapon on offense.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If you want to say he has zero power, leave it at that.
    If you then say he doesn't get on base, well that's just not true as a single and a walk are on base.

Nook likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree. Straw does a lot of things okay to well (not including pop) even if he needs speed to cover up on some skill. When Straw gets criticized, it seems to me to be on things other than his power.
    Everett and Bourn were average or better players in their peaks. Getting an average player instead of Straw would be fine. Swapping out Straw for another below average player that may be a smidge better isn't going to help much.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If dissecting every aspect of Miles Straw is worth enough discussion for multiple pages on an off-day… this Astros team is pretty freakin good.

FWIW, he has improved in the field (especially running back on balls). In other parts of the game, he still feels like he’s an world-class track athlete that learned how to play baseball.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Straw gets a lot of hate and rightfully so but it is good to see him trending in the right direction:

OBP by month

April: .289
    May: .330
    June: .391

Yes, June is only a 7 game sample but hopefully he can keep trending the right direction.

awc713 and jim1961 like this.
  9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

2020 Springer/Reddick .899/.693
    2021 Tucker/Straw .832/.637

Tucker and Sraw have a 1.055 & .856 OPS in June.

10. dream_team

dream_team Member

Straw's OBP in the last 28 days is .384. If he can maintain this, I may have to lower my "give up on Straw" flag.

With that being said, I've always thought he could be a high OBP guy. It's his base-running and defense that's been a disappointment. To be a solid everyday starter, he needs to be better at both of these aspects. I actually think his defense has been improving as of late. Being a good defender in the majors does take some experience, so I give him some slack there. Why he's a bad base-stealer... I have no clue. He needs to be a 40 steals/season to be a solid starter.

11. Buck Turgidson

He's absolutely earned continued consistent PT.

jim1961 and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Is this really a reasonable expectation in todays MLB? I could see 25-30, but only a few guys a year steal 40 bases in a season and fewer repeat that feat.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Whats the latest on Springer? Given the Blue Jays impressive offense, one could postulate that they may have been able to spend that money elsewhere... but certainly they're going to be extremely formidable whenever he's back in their everyday lineup. Glad the Astros won't have any more games with them (until the playoffs?)

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I was ready to cut bait but it looks like Click was smart to stick with him. He currently projects to finish the season with ~20 SB and 2.0 fwar which is pretty much the definition of “average everyday major leaguer”, although it would probably only make him rank somewhere between 15-20 in terms of MLB CF.

I have said this before but Straw was a pretty raw baseball player, so even though he’s already in his prime age, there may be some upside for him over the next couple seasons.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Straw is making a case that he might be capable of being the starting CF for the next 5 years. I'm not sure he can maintain his current play, but Astros could live with how he's played so far this year (like a 2nd division starter) even without Correa.

That said, McCormick is making things difficult. He's got an even smaller track record Straw. He will probably be the better hitter. It looks like he's selling out for power. I think his homer rate will regress. When that likely happens, he likely will need to be making more contact and getting more walks. Not sure about his defense long term, but it has been excellent lately.

I'm happy Astros have both of them.

17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Love to see Straw's upward trend.

In 100 PA's over the last month, he's hitting .295/.360/.420 with a 0.125 ISO and wRC+ of 125. That'll play. Definitely making a case that CF isn't a dire need yet.

Definitely an underrated storyline of the season getting active roster guys out of 12th (Straw) and 21st (McCormick) round picks. Hope Click can keep up Luhnow's record of player development.

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Straw and McCormick were the offense last night. 2 of the 3 runs and all 3 RBIs. It does appear like the league has figured out McCormick a bit, so he’ll need to make an adjustment. Huge credit to Straw for the turnaround.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  19. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

McCormick's swing reminds me of Bagwell. Not his stance but the load up/follow thru. Hope he can get some more at bats at the bottom of order.

#120 RustyHarden, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021