1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breakdown of our choices at 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 22, 2021.

?

Who should we take?

1. Green

223 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Mobley

110 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Suggs

40 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, I feel like people are really underrating him because he's not a guard. I think he has the most upside in the draft. He can become a dominant two way player that can anchor your defense for years but also score and as we find out in the playoffs, sometimes, that easy bucket around the basket is a lot more reliable than chucking up 10 more 3s...and if you have a guy you can give it to that can get that basket reliably AND you have perimeter players that can set them up?

Man personally, I'm strongly team Mobley. I'm cool with the other guys but that's who I'd roll with for this draft.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Green got game.

coachbadlee likes this.
  3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

4. jayfree

jayfree Member

I wouldn't want any player from Gonzaga at this high of a draft pick.

Sure they produced John Stockton in the 80s but Adam Morrison? Ronny Turiaf? Even Sabonis is not a top tier player. No respectable player expecting to be a top 3 pick in the draft would ever choose Gonzaga

No to Suggs

5. jayfree

jayfree Member

It may be a guards league but it's hard to win without a big man in the middle. And many teams don't get those big men without spending a high draft pick for them or shelling out some crazy dough after 4-6 years in the league.

76ers Embiid 3rd pick 2014
    Lakers Davis 1st pick 2012
    Suns Ayton 1st pick 2018

Rockets got lucky with Clint Capela as the 24th pick in 2014 but it took several years for him to mold into who is is now.

Unless a team has a LeBron/Kobe/Jordan or KD, they will most likely need a center to win a ring.

6. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Mobley has the highest ceiling. He's huge, has a great NBA body type and is very fluid and skilled for his size. Could be a bust though if he can't take the physicality of the NBA. Mo Bamba is his scary scenario but he looks way more fluid than Mo so I believe he'll at least surpass that. My preference.

Suggs has the highest floor. Definitely very solid all around but not elite at anything. Doesn't have the playmaking of Trae, the athleticism of Ja, the body of Shai, or the scoring of Dame but a bit of each. Could max out as like a Mike Conley level guy.

Green has a good mix of both but neither as explosive as Mobley or as safe as Suggs. Great athleticism, great scoring. I think he'll at least be very good like maybe a Derozan type but a lot has to go right for him to be MVP level.

Honestly, the next draft is much better than this one so I wouldn't mind gambling with Mobley and letting him develop for a few years so that we have a shot at next year too.

7. i3artow i3aller

Have we asked John Wallet what he thinks? :D

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am thinking what is dangerous is that people are having their favorites again.

You have to be purely unbiased towards everyone.

The fact stands that for a big to lead a team deep into the playoffs, it rarely has been done.

And nobody has been Olajuwon for 30 years.

And yes swing men look like this all the time, they are easier to get for sure but they get the bigger dividends also at the end of the day.

I am happy to get rid of Wood though, I am not really his fan.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Big Chauncey fan.

Suggs or Mobley for me. (Just at the beginning of the evaluation)

You always need a brain for the team (Suggs vote here)

Harden was too much of a doing everything, taxed at the end of the day.

Letting other people work at their positions should be key.

#29 daywalker02, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  10. ilias

ilias Member

• Green is the cleanest fit with Wood and KPJ. That’s important for their future development and their short term contribution.
    • I have no personal view on their talent, but consensus seems to be that Mobley has the highest upside, while Green can contribute the faster.
    • If Stone has a plan on how Mobley can fit with Wood, or can get really strong value by trading Wood, then Mobley at #2 makes sense, assuming we do indeed consider him to be the best talent.
    • If we have no strong view on who the better player or the right pick is, I’d trade down to #3 or #4. I imagine Cleveland would want to pick Mobley, Toronto would go for Suggs.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Only one of those guys (Embiid) is a lead dog and he shoots ~38% from three. That's the same reason Ayton's the 3rd wheel on his team.

Davis has Lebron .... and it aint enough.

Yeah , you need a solid big man .... but you can find Clint Capela type rim runners up and down the draft and that's what I see Mobley being in the long run - that's a good player too , just not one I draft #2 overall and have to wait 5 years on reaching his potential.

I have to have more upside .... this team needs a star , not a glorified role player.

dmenacela, Verbal Christ and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not that I like to contradict here, but he is already much more athletic than Conley.

May I remind you that Conley was only a 11-13 ppg scorer in his younger days.

I am just reading articles but seems to have as much potential as Green.

You can't go wrong with either 3.

But the PG position has been the most important in the Playoffs.

#32 daywalker02, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Madmanmetz, Rudyc281 and Corrosion like this.
  13. ilias

ilias Member

To add:
    • A player’s downside should be a factor. We don’t absolutely need this pick to end up being a superstar. As long as we get someone that can produce at all-star level, we are still in the path of contention in 3 years’ time. No need to take a large risk on potential, unless we have high confidence on how this potential can be realized. We’d better stay patient and continue building asset value via draft and player development. In this draft i’d rather go for higher median projection with lower downside rather than absolute highest upside.
    • It’s unlikely that Green won’t be at least a plus starter in his rookie contract. I can easily see him averaging over 18 points in his rookie year and being a good team’s primary scorer down the line. I’m not sure the same can be said for Mobley.
    • Wood’s current production is higher than what we can expect from the average top 5-10 pick. Trading him in the context of picking Mobley is a risky proposition. Sacrificing Wood is perhaps too high of a price to pay.

Kim, Verbal Christ and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ayton just won the game for his team. You know why? Cuz he is a highly touted no 1 pick whereas the Clippers are rolling with Zubac.

Davis and Lebron are enough its like you didnt watch them last year lol. Davis was injured and didnt play, and before you tell me how injury prone Davis is Kawhi is as well and everybody would still take him in the draft.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wood is 25, your time of contention of 3 yrs is too optimistic. Booker is 24, or 5 yrs after he started playing. You think Green is so amazing he gonna he a contender at age 22? You think Green is the next Luka Doncic?

Wood will have to be traded regardless he doesnt fit a rebuilding team. Also he seems to be injury prone missed half the season last year.

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Green averages 18 points a game, shooting 37% from 3 on 6 attempts per game in the g-league, with a 61 TS%, and he is 19 years old.

G-League translates much better to the NBA than college basketball.

He has far too much offensive upset to gloss over, and we wouldn't need to worry about clashes with Wood as well.

17. csc177

csc177 Member

Biggest nightmare is Mobley being John Henson - dream would be bosh.

STOP putting AD and Mobley in the same sentence.

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’ll be interesting to watch how this plays out in the next few weeks and months. There’s a consensus #1 (I don’t buy the Athletic click bait), and then 3 well liked picks.

Does someone else in the top 4 fall in love with one of them and offer a ransom to move up 1-2 spots? The Celtics got an extra lotto pick (ended up being late) to trade from #1 to #3 (Fultz to Tatum). The Hawks got an extra top 10 pick to move down from #3 (Luka) to #5 (Trae).

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's a guard's league right now. No argument there. But to say it's rarely been done is just ridiculous. I'd like to remind you of these guys:

Kevin Garnett
    Tim Duncan
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Moses Malone
    Elvin Hayes
    Kareem Abdul-Jabar
    Wilt Chamberlain

And those are just the guys who led their teams to championships going back to the 1970's; not just deep into the playoffs. It is also not including the long list of number 2 guys who were elite bigs who won championships. There isn't even a reason to start looking at all of the elite bigs who have led/co-led their teams deep into the playoffs.

I'm going to go ahead and say it has not been all that rare.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Those are all different beasts on their own. Very different guys.

Yeah but I do not think the Rockets will play him at the PF.

They need a power PF not a wussy Christian.

Durant is playing Center and PF. Amazing times .......

Wished the Rockets had the 2nd and 4th pick. Or the Cade one, we can all agree on him.