1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Ass he ages?
    Smfh.....
    can you get 4 yrs out of the guy before you speak on aging?

everyday eddie and cheke64 like this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Booker is nearly identical size if Green truly is 6'5. Both supposed to be 6'5 with 6'8" wingspan. I wished for a longer wingspan, but obviously it's not a problem for Booker.
    Bookers form is prettier, but Green's can be very good with tweaks

tmoney1101 likes this.
  3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I’m actually against trading for a vet allstar ie dame. I’ve been wanting a full rebuild of a young core since before harden when les refused to tank. With kpj wood Tate and kmj + green and whoever you get with the other 2 first rounders the future is bright. Maybe you use those Brooklyn picks a couple years down the line to go out and get the final piece after our young guns have a couple years of maturity under their belts.

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

Booker just hit a big shot and the difference is the higher release and Green has a low release. Need to work on that for sure.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Agreed. Green is the pick if Detroit takes Cade. He’s a sure fire star. We know he can shoot, and we know he can pass, but what no one talks about is how good a defender he can be. If you watch him it’s clear he is capable of defending at a high level. He’s the whole package and whatever weaknesses he has can be improved with nba playing time. I just hope our front office forgets about the roster and goes BPA. That’s Green!

#105 Aruba77, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  6. csc177

csc177 Member

Damnit

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

He was playing on a team full of teenagers and competing against much older players.

Here's a good article that explains the unique situation with the Ignite

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/06/22/g-league-ignite-jalen-green-jonathan-kuminga-daily-cover

Here's a quote from that article:

Shaw knew the Ignite were talented. He was equally sure that wouldn’t translate to wins. “I tried to make [G League execs] understand early that we are going to get our asses handed to us more times than not,” says Shaw. The star players were teenagers in a league filled with men, all of whom were eager to take down a team of hyped prospects.

All of the stats you quoted include team based numbers. Having a team full of teenagers playing against grown men is going to give you skewed results.

8. csc177

csc177 Member

can’t have your two best players with crappy form (low releases) KP and JG ugliest jump shooting back court

9. aelliott

From NBADraft.NET

Green measured 6’4 barefoot, 6’5 in shoes, 172 lbs, with a 6’7.5 wingspan, and a 8’5 standing reach in mid 2018 …

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jalen-green/

If that's true, then even if he hasn't grown since '18 then he's at least 6'5".

Richie_Rich, coachbadlee and Aruba77 like this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Member

Well tbh, Cade and Suggs and Green all have low release though

coachbadlee likes this.
  11. bmd

bmd Member

100% agree. I feel Suggs is limited. I love his scrappy play and hustle, but I don’t see him being a top player in the league. I could definitely see Green being a top player.

12. aelliott

Yet Green shoots it better from the NBA 3 pt line than Suggs does from the college line.

You want shooters? Green shot 36.7% from behind the NBA arc coming straight out of HS. That's not only athleticism. Suggs only shot 33% from the college 3pt line and Mobley shot 30%. Green's the best shooter of the 3.

If he had a major red flag then he wouldn't be picked in the top 4 of the draft.

Remind me how long Vince Carter, MJ, Kobe, Dominique and Drexler played in the NBA? Green is a better shooter coming into the league than any of those guys were. They seemed to get by ok as their athleticism "faded".

13. csc177

csc177 Member

Jalen Green has a following internationally - they call him unicorn.

…apparently KP is cool w/ Jalen and they both possess some unicorn jewelry.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  14. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'd take Green for his athleticism, body control, and offensive arsenal. Even as a young, raw prospect his ability to put pressure on the defense is insane. We're talking young Penny or Ja Morant levels of control here. He already has Harden's step back three from NBA range. He's a walking bucket, we just need to hope his work ethic can round out his game.

People want a finished product so some are leaning Suggs, but I think we should be patient and go for the player with the highest potential in Green. Suggs' best attributes are his leadership and hustle, which I don't think translate to stardom in the NBA game. You need incredible talent to be a star. Suggs isn't a tier one athlete, scorer, or shooter so I think he'll struggle to become an all-star. Green is better than him (so far) in all of those categories. I'd also take Mobley over Suggs, as I think he has Jaren Jackson Jr. potential.

I'll also add that it would be fun as hell watching a super athletic lineup of KPJ, Green, and Wood together.

16. liveguy

liveguy Member

The hesitation crossover move by Green....WHEW!!!!

That’s young D Rose-esque.

17. Chamillionaire

He looks like a taller Ja.

He clearly looks like our guy.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

KPJ and Green seems like a great young pair

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You don't play games. That's how you get burned. Cleveland could trade with someone and that team could take your guy.

Caesar likes this.
  20. raining threes

You're going to bet the #2 pick on he can possibly put on muscle.

I want more certainty than that for the #2 pick.