1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley is the clear cut pick here!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dkoune, Jun 22, 2021.

1. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Rockets desperately need a talented 5! Mobley and Wood, with KPJ and a free agent like lillard would be unstoppable!
    Let’s make it happen Stone.

Rudyc281, DrNuegebauer and roslolian like this.
  2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

A free agent like who?

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

should've sent patrick instead of dream. pat would have gotten rox #1 and we wouldn't even have this debate

IvanLCPM, Rudyc281 and dkoune like this.
  4. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

5. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

A few years down the line of course in 24 when lillard hits free agency. Unless Stone can swing some of those first and wall for a dis gruntled lillard of course

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If there had been no Cunningham, Mobley all season would have been consensus 1 in the conversation

The only fear is that it is a guards league... but he fits

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Are we all getting drunk tonight!? I don’t care. Nothing is off limits we kept our pick!!

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think a lot of the knocks I hear on Mobley is that he's a big.

But...this is a pretty big but...Mobley didn't have issues switching onto college guards and defending the perimeter. The main reason old school bigs have been fading out of the league is because they can't switch, so teams just target them and force them to be benched. Bigs that can switch and hold their ground are more than playable...actually they are a huge benefit as teams like the Lakers have shown.

The league trending small then favors Mobley as he's thin, he's not going to outpower many bigs, at least not coming into the NBA...but then most teams aren't playing old school 90 centers with shoulders the width of billboards either. That he might get bullied by Jokic and Embiid...I mean welcome to the club...

But I think he has the highest ceiling so that's who I want. Size still matters in the NBA, that's why we all wanted Cade.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

No he’s not

Denovo, macho GRANDE and topfive like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

OP sounds dumb mentioning Lillard

just stop…

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I like Mobley. I get why people are a bit turned off by him and question his motor, but he did lead the entire NCAA in box plus minus.

7 footer and a 7-5 wingspan with his fluidity and feel for the game is something you can’t coach. I think he can add 10-15 lbs and I believe he knows he needs to add weight and strength.

Everyone outside of Cade feels like a bit like a consolation prize though

12. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Regardless of the pick… I want to know CFs thought on tanking next year? Hmm

The coin flip worked this year but how good are we going to be next year.

dkoune likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

I hope they’re in the same spot next year. Lottery bound, top 5 pick here we come!

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

Is it possible to have KPJ, Wood and our #2 pick in the D League next year so we can get 1 more top 3 pick? Our D-League team would go undefeated, get championship experience and bring that attitude to 2023 when Harden is ready to come back to Houston and be a team player.

iNoseBleedRed likes this.
  15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Just going to point out that Mobley's dad played in China and he has a foster Chinese brother.... if TF is looking to get that Chinese cash pipeline re-opened, I think you have an obvious pick.... IJS... plus Mobley looks pretty d@mn talented

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes and No.

The last big who was the brain of a team is Jokic.

And see what happens in the Playoffs.

There is no knock other than for me at least position comes first, I have learned a lot during the years.

They always say talent before positions but the best players were coming from the perimeter in the last years.

That is why bigs like KD emerge.

You take Mobley with the solid 3rd or 4th pick. That is a lot of praise as well.

I only say this because the Rockets have been so focused on Centers.

Not healthy to have an obsession.

D'Antoni would have picked the PG every single time.

(They wanted Cade because he had size and was a guard at heart.)

#16 daywalker02, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

To me the main problem with Jokic is his defense. You have a problem if your superstar center cannot anchor a defense. Being able to switch on guards is important in todays NBA and Jokic (and players like Gobert) is terrible at it.

I have hardly any information on these prospects (I do not watch NCAA), but I have heard that Mobley is excellent at that. That makes me hopefull.

HTXSportsAddict and daywalker02 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I shudder at the thoughts of Centers switching on to guards, even if you are able to do so without sacrificing too much.

It shouldn't happen often. period.

I mean it won't make the team a playoff contender right away.

I am actually cool with it, people are just leaning towards something that is automatic with the management.

I mean there is no real advocating going on for the 'other prospects' other than Green and Mobley.

19. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

My man daywalker02 :), how have you been! Who do you think we should take in this draft and why?

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am being honest here, just enjoying the situation. (Hope it is not too diplomatic of an answer.)

It's not up to me and it shouldn't be. (Like the PG spot)

The No 2 is a major asset, I think every team would be at least looking to dangle it for established players or more future picks.

I am not having the time to research on players like in the past, so I would just leave the in depth analyses for the others.

Hit me up if there is a low 1st rounder or 2nd rounder blowing up.