1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There is still a chance.

Easy and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. hakeemthagreat

How would Portland benefit from Simmons? That would automatically make Dame demand a trade

3. hakeemthagreat

Also its clear Morey tried to fleece tf outta Stone by asking for a Harden/Simmons trade. A few idiots here called the Rockets stupid for not taking it smh

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I keep thinking about it and I have a hard time believing that Portland would trade Simmons for CJ if the package was on the table. Even from Philadelphia's perspective, I'm not sure I trade CJ for Simmons either. I know the thought process from Phili's point of view is that they can pursue and sign Kyle Lowry, but man, Kyle is going to 36 by next years playoff. This is a guy that has had some injuries in the last few years. Lowry goes down and that team goes down as well.

From Portland's perspective, this is to do something just to do something? CJ and Simmons are polar opposites. Considering that the Blazers are trying to go further than the typical 1st round exits they usually experience, how is Simmons any better? Blazers will have play 4 on 5 when Simmons is on the floor and my guess is that the next coach Simmons plays with will be smart enough to take out Simmons out of the line up during critical moments (assuming he is the same shitty free throw shooter next year as well). Is it really worth paying Simmons that much money for not so great results. The Blazers will likely keep Norman Powell, who is a great replacement for CJ. I think they need to look for better value elsewhere.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

6. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Philly has absolutely torpedoed Simmons' value, not sure what they were thinking with those press conferences from Embid and Doc, but the world knows they hate him, and he has turned into a meme, think what you will about NBA GMs being professional and not letting the media get to them, but Harden was not desired heavily by Boston and Miami due to media narratives. Ben Simmons is being trashed by his own team, his coach, and Philly fans are burning his jersey. He needs to be bought out or stretched somehow, I wouldn't mind taking a gamble on him, but that is with moving Wall.

IvanLCPM, D-rock, jcmoon and 4 others like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Morey knows he already has a shaky relationship with the Rockets organization after leaving under a false pretense, and then instead of giving up everything immediately for Harden, he’s trying to haggle over picks and keep guys like Maxey out of a deal…

probably thought that the Nets package was so bad that Simmons and little else would be enough to trump it so he had some sort of leverage

Bo6, Kim, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Typical Morey missing out on a big deal. The guy knows about short windows to compete and he still screwed this one up.

IvanLCPM, roslolian, Ramo$e and 2 others like this.
  9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I was never a fan of Simmons to keep, but think they could have flipped him for a lot more than he is worth now, his own team and city has thrown him under the bus and destroyed his value. Simmons was the Rookie of the Year, then made every All-Star game after that. If Morey knew his value would tank like this, he would have traded him for something then, I don't think he knew he would perform like this in the playoffs, these are historically bad numbers, also he would not have had a chance to choke in the playoffs in Houston and get that level of visibility. If they are willing to give him away, I am a buyer at a bargain discount on Simmons, 3X All Star and ROY at 24, sure you can have John Wall.

D-rock and jcmoon like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

too many times he oversold and underdelivered, or missed out on a trade that would’ve taken the team over the hump

“we’ll have our pick of free agents” in the summer of 2018

thank God we didn’t get the Melo trade done, but

couldn’t do the Jimmy Butler trade

missed out on James Harden who even on a bum hamstring commands far more attention on offense than Ben Simmons ever could

STR8Thugg, ashleyem, Ramo$e and 2 others like this.
  11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

He is a taller version of Westbrook the difference is he is scared to shoot where Russ will keep tossing up bricks and shoot you out of a chance to win.

jcmoon, peleincubus and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Still think we have to get him. He'd shoot some great commercials for Landry's. Tilman could add a steak and shrimp dish to the menu called the "Ben Simmons Australian Special." It's just too obvious.

Rudyc281 and H.D. like this.
  13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Which makes them completely different players. I would take my chances with russell all day although Simmons is probably much better defensively.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe Morey has learned from 2019 and trades Embiid instead before Embiid forces his way out of Philly being fed up with playing with Simmons. :D

clutchdabear, Rudyc281 and Ramo$e like this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not probably...he is way better defensively.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

It would be the same story if he landed on the Rox.

You have the order reversed.

Simmons destroyed his own value by not scoring in the 4Q -> Embiid and Rivers threw him under the bus. It's not like Simmons was this amazing player and the Sixers backstabbed him, he has been the same player since he was a rookie problem is he is now a 5 yr vet and seemingly has regressed.

Considering people here hate Jwall and Dipo with a passion would they love Simmons who score 5 pts the entire game? Naw he would be eviscirated here at the same as Philly. Listing his all star doesnt really matter Jwall has more all star appearances than Simmons. We dealing with present not the past and rn Simmons is a role player making the super max. Thats def better than JWall but still far from a coveted asset.

Easy likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I love it! He found all the worst contracts in the NBA and make a trade that passes around these contracts. Should have included Westbrook in there for a 4-way. :D

jcmoon, Patience and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Simmons made the All Star game every year since his ROY season (2018), and that includes this season 2019,2020, 2021. He is not great, but it appears this is in his head, when your own fans are hating on you that is a lot of pressure for some people, and keep in mind this is Philly the trash fan capital of the world, so who knows what is being said to him at games. He is still 24 years old, change of scenery with John Lucas and guys that are on the same level as him may make him more comfortable. There is additional pressure in Philly because they tanked for half a decade to get him and Embiid, and Embiid is ready to win now, and Simmons is not there. That pressure wont be here, and he may have a chance to develop. This seems like a low risk high reward situation, worst case he can be tank commander for a few years because honestly that is what it will take, we are not a playoff team next year.

D-rock, jcmoon and Rudyc281 like this.