1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Morey has probably learned his lesson about trading somebody at their lowest possible value given the Chris Paul saga

roslolian and malakas like this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are legitimate people that think we can get Ben Simmons for John Wall and Eric Gordon.

:eek:

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the smart thing Philly can do now is keep Simmons and pray that he will fix his issues. Morey didn't anticipate that so much spotlight would be on Simmons' scoring problem in this year's playoffs. Now there's nothing they can do other than hope that Simmons will redeem himself and up his value again. The damning thing is that when your own head coach and star player are openly questioning the guy's abilities, you don't have much to sell from.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He's only 24 years old.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That last part you mentioned is definitely key--after those comments, I don't think there's a way to fix that bridge between Doc and Ben or Joel and Ben. Joel didn't call him out specifically but it was obvious as to who he was talking about. Years past Joel was pretty supportive and defended Ben and his weaknesses.

I wonder how Rich Paul and LeBron are going to rehab their Klutch client now. The one team that checks all the boxes--big market, in need of a facilitator, in need of a defender--is the one team that don't have assets to send back to Philly and that's the Knicks.

Easy likes this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It matches the red in those philly colors.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I guess it just depends on if Morey is going to be allowed to be Morey or if he's going to be out muscled like he did with Harden/Tillman.... and he could very well be with Embiid, and Doc.

But you, I, and everyone here knows who Morey is at his core. When he ran the team uninterrupted by Les, Simmons is actually an All-Star player Morey would be very high on. A stars flaw that was exploited in the playoffs that led to him being undervalued around the league would interest Morey. Now, Morey would then alter the entire team around that type of star which would frustrate fans, and analyst who don't like, but it's totally something Morey would do. Morey was willing to throw the sink out there to get Dwight (pre-Harden) who was ridiculed in the media for his flaws, and mostly hated by fans. Dwight then was better in the playoffs then Simmon's is now of course, but still you get the point.

He's not trading Simmons for nothing.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

It was supposedly kind of the opposite with Simmons when Morey was trying to land Harden. There were some sources supposedly saying that Doc and others in the organization were a lot higher on Simmons than Morey and that was kind of hamstringing what Daryl could offer in a trade.

I agree though that Daryl isn't going to get emotional and trade Simmons for nothing at rock bottom value just to get rid of him. Or at least won't do that on his own.

10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I mean you're not wrong, at least in part, but I think he's that way on offense because of his inability to shoot (either from the field or FTs). I think at least part of that is correctable, and I think many teams (maybe including Philly) would be willing to roll the dice on him figuring it out. It's not like he's Chuck Hayes (though he was arguably starting to get close there lol), and even Chuck was a valuable contributor just because of defense and hustle.

11. dmoneybangbang

I agree. I would be looking to move a Harris centered package for CJ, but I think you’d have to overpay Portland. Retool from there.

It’s possible Simmons lost all goodwill in Philly so he has to go.

Easy likes this.
  12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes because at that time Simmons was an over valued asset who could potentially land you James freaking Harden. Now I believe it's SImmons that is likely being undervalued around the league. Contractually he's over valued yes, but in terms of trade value, if it's Eric Gordon or John Wall back in value... Morey is going to fall in love with the Simmons' potential.

Like when Morey took over a team with Yao Ming, he now has a team with a similar big man in Embiid. Morey's going to look first at putting the most elite playmaker with Embiid he can find. It was Tracy then, and he almost got Harden less than a year ago who was his dream to acquire if they would have done a deal with him.

If Simmon's is the best talent out there even if flawed, he's not going to move him for broken down pieces. He's not going to be able to get a Trae Young, Bradley Beal, Luka, or a Devin Booker... who are kind of the elite playmaking talents right now except for the older guys like Lebron, Harden, CP3, and Steph.

Simmons is maybe the best shot Morey has with his upside and proven talent. If he can't get an older superstar like Harden, or go all in with a younger star like Luka then I don't see Morey doing a deal with Simmons for damn near anything unless it's assets he think he can flip down the road. That's just my experience following Morey very close for more than a decade here in Houston.

13. gogispade

gogispade Member

LOL, they really turned down Harden for Simmons trade. Image what could Harden and Joel do togehter with Seth and Danny Green on the floor.

14. Milos

Milos Member

Love idea of flipping Simmons for more draft capital ... but not to GS
    Even Splash Bros shooting can't make up for lineups w Ben & Dray (redundant style of play)
    Would look for even more picks and young players instead

Simmons could still be the ideal 3rd piece to complete a young core with 2 premium shot-makers already in place but a lack of penetrator to create off the bounce
    Clippers could use him to upgrade their revolving door at point
    Kawhi-PG-Ben-Beverly lineups would smother the perimeter

A GS deal for Oubre + Wiseman has been on my mind for awhile now
    Perfect salary match for Wood
    They get to fast-forward Wiseman's development timeline to increase chances of another ring before Steph window closes
    Maybe we could even ask them for #6 pick in exchange for FFP 2-3 years out when GS will probably be rebuilding and we should be good again w new young core in place

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Portland makes a ton of sense. A package based around McCollum and filler for Simmons seems like it would help both teams, especially since the Blazers picked up Powell. Maybe Seth Curry makes McCollum redundant, but I don't think having another player that can fill it up would hurt the Sixers. The Blazers being able to run out Simmons, Covington and Nurkich with Lillard would be improved defensively.

16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Ya but if his balls haven't dropped at 24/25 I don't know how much longer people can wait for that to happen. The concern isn't about just his ability to shoot it's the fact that he doesn't have the balls to shoot. Kid is actually scared to score.

Easy likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Morey has always valued shooting esp 3 pt shooting, he would be high on Simmons if Simmons made the vet min and not if he made the max.

In fact firs thing Morey did was try to trade Simmons for Harden. When Morey thought a deal was possible, he was so excited he told Simmons to pack his bags and expect a trade even if nothing concrete happened yet.

Morey isnt trading Simmons for nothing cuz he is a good gm, but clearly Morey isnt high on Simmons.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. csc177

csc177 Member

He needs to sell his house in Philly this week. That stench will never go away, Simmons showed no heart and a lack of confidence, it’s blood in the water for everyone now.

Sixers will take any deal they can get to rid him of their future plans. Who will take that contract for damaged goods? We’ll see.

Thanking the basketball gods and Stone’s foresight for not accepting any of Morey’s calls earlier this season.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

To the Wizards for Russ would be wild

I didn't realize how significant CJ McCollum's extension is also.

I agree that Daryl won't give him away. But I can't help but see the parallels between this situation and Chris Paul in 2019. The player in question has a huge contract still remaining, the MVP-level star on the team has had enough and Daryl might have to make a deal knowing full well it's the worst possible time to try to make one.

dobro1229 and D-rock like this.