1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trae Young is a better player than Luka Doncic

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by H.D., Jun 19, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That was great, I didn't know who Huerter was during the regular season.

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

How do people think an atl vs clips (with kawhi) series goes? Can atl push them to 5? Surely nobody is stupid enough to think they could push it to 7 like luca did……

hell if embiid didn’t tear his knee against the wiz the sixers win in 4-5 most likely

plutoblue11 likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Embiid averaged 30 and 13 against the Hawks…it’s not like he was Harden looking like a shell of himself after injury

Doc Rivers has professional choker on his resume, and Ben Simmons is a liability…those 2 things wouldn’t change with a healthier Embiid

Sixers could’ve won in 5, but in typical choking fashion they blew an 18 and 26 point lead in B2B games…they’re lucky the Hawks didn’t finish them off in game 6, but that still would’ve been less embarrassing than losing game 7 on your home floor with Ben Simmons scoring a whopping 5 points

Trey Young was atrocious shooting 5-23, and they still won

Idk why the Hawks taking the Clippers to 7 is supposed to be something outlandish, they are better than the Mavs and are playing extremely well…they are 1 of the best teams in the league since McMillan took over

ElPigto and jiggyfly like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Before G7 I told my brother in law to pound that +7 on the Hawks. He did but throughout the first half the guy was nervous and told him "Doc Rivers is coaching a game 7. I have zero faith he'll get the Sixers the win". He's not a knowledgeable NBA fan but he pointed out some coach at Wisconsin just won a Game 7 (I have no idea who he was referencing) recently after years of defeat and I laughed and said "Trust me. This is Doc Rivers"

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

he was talking about coach Bud lol, and yeah, zero faith in Doc Rivers to not choke…it’s unreal at this point…no matter the roster, no matter the opponent, Doc will find a way

I’m honestly surprised they even managed to win game 6 after that game 5 disaster

steddinotayto likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

no wonder lol i was like who tf is he talking about and what sport was he watching. Goes to show that my BIL don't watch enough NBA or maybe I should know teams by states lol

Reeko likes this.
  7. the shark

the shark Member

What color is the sky in your world?

mikenm268 likes this.
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Luka is about a tier better than Trae in almost every aspect of the game, mostly because he's a lot bigger and alot more efficient.

However, I never liked how Porzingus is frozen out of the offense, and Luka completely dominates the ball ala Harden. It's very hard to get any kind of rhythm as a player if you don't get touches.

I feel like if Porzingus was on the team with Trae, he would actually get a lot more touches which would elevate the team. Trae does take the backseat sometimes on offense if other players are hot. Luka as great as he was seems hell bent on doing everything himself.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  9. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Trae young has nerves of steel, and doesn’t seem to let poor shooting hurt his confidence or aggressiveness. That said, I think his size is a major disadvantage in that he has trouble getting clean looks when defenses key on him. Several of his misses yesterday were due to double teams or getting his shot blocked by bigger defenders. The Sixers really took him out of his comfort zone (which opened things up for other guys like Huerter).

Despite that, I was really impressed with Trae’s feel for the game, his passing and court vision, and the pace he plays at. Whenever the defense fell asleep for a split second, he seemed primed to take advantage. Doncic may end up with better career numbers due to size advantage, but Trae is a lot of fun to watch and seems like a better team player.

10. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

No, no he isn't.

11. H.D.

H.D. Member

The color of the sky in your world is my tan on my lower abdomen.

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Yes i think the sixers best player, who atl had no answer for, being healthy instead of injured would have made a difference……

I don’t see any scenario where this atl team can take a kawhi team past 5, no way

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

he averaged 30 and 13…the way u talk, Embiid was out there hobbled and scrubbing it up…

an ATL team that’s better than the Mavs and was 27-11 under Nate McMillan would have no possible way of lasting more than 5 games against the Clippers…LOL, ok…

ElPigto and jiggyfly like this.
  14. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I've become a fan of Trae but c'mon. Luka pretty much by himself scared the beejeesus out of a healthy loaded Clippers roster with only one game where he wasn't very good.

Trae's team won last night with him going 5 for 23.

Comparing how far they've advanced this year is like comparing apples to bowling balls.

I agree though that instead of retroactively looking at Luka vs. Trae + Hunter we really should just laugh at the Kings for taking Bagley.

I'm not really putting Luka playing hero ball on him yet because KP and others have looked pretty bad when they get the rock.

15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

sure he put up some stats, but you think having a torn up knee didn't impact him? He didn't look close to his usual self. No, he wasn't as injured as Harden who literally couldn't move or play, but he was a shell of himself

16. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Trae deserves all the flowers right now.

But he isn't better than Luka. He deserves more acclaim and recognition at the moment for leading his team to the conference finals. But just like how the Hawks beating the Sixers, doesn't make Trae "better as a player" than Embid, it also doesn't make him better than Luka. Advancing pass them however, does mean he should get more shine than either.

majicdonjuan and ChillyPete32 like this.
  17. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

I don't know, Trae is good, he makes Atlanta good, but the East is the East and the West is the West. Put Dallas in the East and they probably beat an overachieving NY and a flawed Philadelphia. Put Atlanta in the West and they probably lose in the first round to the Clippers with Leonard still healthy.

18. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

This is just a Curry vs. Harden argument. Luka has absolute trash around him. Broken down Kristaps is by far your best player? This is like giving Harden Kevin McHale and Jeremy Lin and expecting him to do something.

19. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

If we are looking at this year’s playoff performance, Luka has better counting stats, with a significantly higher effective FG%, on higher usage. If Luka is using the ball more, doing more with it, and doing it more efficiently, that certainly feels like he is ‘better’.

Trae is flashy and fun to watch, but at the end of the day, the dude takes 18-22 shots a game with materially below average results. Of the 49 players in the league who attempted 350 or more threes this year, he ranks 46th.

plutoblue11 and ChillyPete32 like this.
  20. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Prime Kevin McHale was a beast.

foh, H.D. and ChillyPete32 like this.