1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I think A&M would have likely beaten ND, in a close game. Clemson...not sure. That last game certainly doesn't indicate they'd clearly be better than A&M.

But the rankings aren't about who is the better team. They are about who had the better season. A 1 loss season compared to a 2 loss season, with the last loss being a huge blowout...its obvious which of those is better.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Legend™

Former first-round pick Johnny Manziel revealed this week he pocketed a large sum of cash ahead of the 2013 season at Texas A&M after winning the Heisman Trophy thanks to his autograph being one of college football's most coveted.

Manziel estimates he made more than $30,000 signing autographs as the sport's most-heralded star. Manziel says he was approached by a "guy" who asked he wanted to make extra money and was asked to sign "probably 10,000 pieces" before the start of the season.

""So, this guy's pretty much, 'All right, go to this room at the Fountainebleu," Manziel said this week on Barstool Sports' "Bussin with the Boys" podcast. "All this stuff will be in there laid out. When you're done, just send me a picture of all of it. I'll give you the code to the safety, the money will be in there."

Manziel didn't go into further detail, but did say the "statute of limitations" is over in terms of possible NCAA violations since he accepted cash for autographs after he won the Heisman. During the 2013 season, the Aggies would finish 9-4 and beat Duke in a bowl game.

Earlier this year, Manziel detailed his party life in College Station and said disciplinary action during the 2012 season saved his career.

Manziel was arrested his second year on campus for disorderly conduct and said his punishment from then-coach Kevin Sumlin made him a better player. Texas A&M's coaching staff made Manziel run "gassers" after every practice, even two-a-days, he says.

"I'm fourth on the depth chart when we start this camp and in 11 days, I won the (starting) job doing these sprints, doing the whole thing," Manziel said on his "Ball Don't Lie" podcast with Mike. "At the end of the year, I rushed for 1,500 yards. I out-rushed Todd Gurley in the SEC. Nuts. My redshirt freshman year, the year I won the Heisman. "I believe all that was directly correlated to me running those sprints at the beginning of the year and being in the dumbest shape on the team. Without a doubt, I got punished and I won a Heisman for it. The bad doesn't always turn out so bad down the line."

Manziel continued the discussion, this time detailing his partying with the Aggies.

That year is the reason I got in so much trouble down the line because I treated it like a kegger to be honest," Manziel said. "Every week, Tuesdays and Thursdays, we had a full-blown king’s cup, beer olympics at the house. Drinking Natty lites and Old Milwaukee’s was on sale for $16.99. That was the best.”

Manziel said then-assistant Kliff Kingsbury knew what was going on with his quarterback's partying and sent Riley Dodge to his place to "scoop him" out of bed. Manziel said he played better the harder he partied.

"Everybody is feeding your ego so much, it feels like you're Iron Man and you can't possibly fail," Manziel said.

raining threes likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How is this news?

Oh yeah its not.

4. Buck Turgidson

Ask USC and Reggie Bush

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why?

If they were gonna do something they would have done it by now it is old news.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Google is your friend.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What am I supposed to be googling?

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Treatment in CS instead of H-Tine? RIP

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Trending article - https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ge-football-top-conference-formed-perfect-fit

Like & agree with this quote.

BigShasta likes this.
  11. gucci888

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Because both TAMU & UT are being babies about it. Oh well.

13. gucci888

More of a joke in light of yesterday’s news.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Backup QB or not, A&M doesn't look like a top 25 team right now, much less a top 5 team.

HTXSportsAddict and whag00 like this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kim and Juxtaposed Jolt like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

We’re a second half team

18. Buck Turgidson

Holy crap how do the Aggies not have a better backup QB than this guy?

HTXSportsAddict and Ziggy like this.
  19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

This kid's oblivious.

Ziggy likes this.
  20. TheresTheDagger

Snuck this one out. Not gonna lie. Lotta work to do with the QB this week.

Defense looks really good though.

Buck Turgidson likes this.