1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Provided he looks fine after MLB cracks down on sticky stuff, Sborz, the guy Correa took yard last night, would be a good trade target. He's got plenty of club control, but is already 27. Nice fastball slider combo. Pressly, Javier, Odorizzi, and him would be a nice postseason pen. I'm not sure how fast he warms up, but he may be able to take the fireman role. Having Taylor in the fireman role is not ideal as he's better suited to come in clean.

#301 Joe Joe, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    raining threes likes this.
  2. raining threes

Love Sborz but I doubt the Rangers would trade with the Stros.

Agreed on Taylor, he can be an important part of the pen but he's not a high leverage type guy. IMHO Although he did fairly well in that role last year before getting injured.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Health and consistency (possibly Dusty) are the only things keeping Taylor from being a high leverage guy. I think his inconsistency has been health related. His stuff has looked great since coming off the IL (maybe even better than prior to his injury last year). Putting him in a situation that he can't challenge a hitter forces him to nibble. Nibbling is not his strong suit.

raining threes likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"and their bullpen has been solid all season"? Hmm... this guy used to be a MLB general manager, and now does fantasy sports and writes for The Athletic. But the names might be interesting

https://theathletic.com/2653349/202...uld-go-either-way/?source=user_shared_article

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I was looking at Richard Rodriguez and noticed he was originally signed by the Astros out of the Dominican Camp and was traded away.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I do NOT expect this to happen, but it's a fantasy acquisition.

Add Trout. I have no clue how.

BO R/L/S POS Name OPS+
    1 R 2B Altuve 144
    2 L LF Brantley 146
    3 R CF Trout 194
    4 R 1B Gurriel 152
    5 L DH Alvarez 137
    6 R SS Correa 147
    7 L RF Tucker 127
    8 R 3B Bregman 118
    9a R C Maldenado 55
    9b L C Castro 143

#306 Marshall Bryant, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Current top 6 RP targets: Scott Barlow, Jose Cisnero, Raisel Iglesias, Taylor Rogers, Michael Fulmer, Ian Kennedy

Htown Legend likes this.
  9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Well that's something you don't read every day about a pitcher.

Wow, Cisnero is another Houston-developed pitcher who prospered somewhere else.... a lot later. I look forward to Reymin Guduan making a Snake trade target list in 2027.

10. the shark

the shark Member

Another STRONG outing by Garcia against one of the top teams in baseball.

Are there people on here still considering trading him for a CF or bullpen help??

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind trading a starter if we can get an elite relief pitcher. We have enough starting pitching.

12. the shark

the shark Member

You going to trade Garcia for "an elite relief pitcher"?

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No such thing exists.

jiggyfly, vince, The Beard and 8 others like this.
  14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol. Was about to post that

raining threes and the shark like this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

HTXSportsAddict and The Beard like this.
  16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Any rumors about adding an outfield bat?

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Here’s a hypothetical:

Astros get:
    RP Michael Fulmer
    RP Jose Cisnero
    $2M

Tigers get:
    IF Freudis Nova
    RHP Peter Solomon
    RHP Shawn Dubin
    PTBNL (Tigers pick one from Bryan Abreu, Enoli Paredes, or Tyler Ivey after this season ends)

Astros would add 2 very effective relief arms to the back end of their bullpen without giving up any major pieces. Both guys come with additional years of control which dramatically reduces their offseason shopping list. Neither guy comes with a big salary. Nova is one of their highest ceiling prospects but his stock is down and they have other good prospects at his potential positions. The arms are 2nd tier prospects who could be guys they regret trading but that is their area of depth. This trade also comes with a net gain of 1 40 man spot.

The Tigers get Nova, who would immediately become their best middle infield prospect. He is a buy low opportunity for them. The pitchers all have ceilings to be better than the guys they are trading away and will give them more big league ready arms to fill their bullpen as a supplement to their emerging starting pitching.

Astros resulting pitching staff:
    SP: Greinke, Valdez, McCullers, Odorizzi, Garcia, Urquidy
    RP: Pressly, Cisnero, Javier, Fulmer, Stanek, Raley,Smith/Taylor

If Baez or Verlander get healthy, Smith would likely have to be DFA. James and Pruitt would need to really show well on rehab to justify a spot over Smith/Taylor.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So now that the season has played out a bit Clicks "terrible' offseason doesn't look quite so terrible. Now I'm not ready to crown him the GOAT or anything, but given his likely financial restraints, it's hard to say he could have played it too much better than he has.

Let Springer walk, and he's pretty much had a non season thus far.
    Retained Brantley (which was his move no matter what somebody tries to say)
    Signed Castro, who has been outstanding
    Signed Odorizzi, who looks better every start
    Extended Yuli at a low rate, which looks like a stroke of brilliance.
    Signed Stanek, while not great he has been solid overall.

In regard to CF, Pillar has been a little better than Straw, but not much, and at precious extra dollars. Bradley has been a disaster. Marisnick had a great start, but got hurt and he's been coming back to his normal offensive levels in June. Not ready to call that a win, but if given a chance to immediately trade Straw for any of these guys, I don't think I would, and if we did it would feel like a lateral move, or very small improvement.

I, like many others, never liked the Baez deal. It seemed like a gross overpay, and now that he's been hurt it looks even worse. Even if he comes back and pitches well, I have a hard time seeing that becoming a good deal. Right now his inability to forsee struggles and decline in our bullpen options seem to be his biggest failure. Even still, the bullpen is slowly starting to come together over the last few weeks with Taylor and Javier. If Baez comes back and helps even that terrible signing won't look so bad.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

One note about Baez is that he did not seem to depend on spin rate for his past success, so it’s possible that Click anticipated the crack down on sticky and overpaid Baez as a result. Regardless, if signing a proven setup man to a $12.5M/2yr deal ends up being the worst move of James Click’s tenure, he will likely end up as the greatest GM of all time.

vince, HTXSportsAddict and jim1961 like this.