1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Critical Race Theory.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Search through post history if you care that much. It isn't involved with molding young adult minds with shitty geriatric troll banter that's for sure.

jiggyfly and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so you're a big man on an anonymous basketball forum? that's cool

3. London'sBurning

Post more memes bro. You're a college professor that doesn't give a ****!

4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

lol

5. London'sBurning

I mean you're not a moron. You just selectively play one on a basketball BBS.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

as much as I'd like a pen pal, I don't think you're the one for me

Tomstro and London'sBurning like this.
  7. London'sBurning

That I can agree with.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. IVFL

IVFL Member

@London'sBurning Now that is a sweet mom joke that he just softballed up to you. I don’t want to use it, I would rather see you knock that out of the park.

Go on, wade into the shallow end of his posting style. I would love to see it. What’s he going to do, tell his made up class that you were mean to him on an internet message board.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. London'sBurning

Os is alright. I lost my composure over some internet memes. It's my shortcoming. Not his. FB recently popped up a memory of a deceased close close close friend of mine and her service dog and it just made me think of some ER doctor around this woman's last two months alive during one visit that pulled me to the side to tell me she's faking her seizures. I knew that woman for 7 years and watched her health regress from an independent Respiratory Therapist whose vocation was to help people with worse health complications than what she was dealing with only to watch that same healthcare system fail her time and time again until she died at the young age of 27.

Time and time again I've just been dumbfounded by thinking of people whose occupations you'd think were worthy of garnering respect because they put in so many hours of work to get to that point of their lives and yet I find myself incredulous to giving respect to someone solely because of their occupation on here. Also marathoning Chernobyl recently and reading up on the systematic shortfalls that lead to such a catastrophe and I can't help but draw similar parallels to the state of affairs in America. Os isn't the problem. It's just as someone that loves to meme too, I also can't help but feel complicit that any rare genuine good faith debate is mired by such behavior that is just symptomatic to how cynical everyone appears to be over our current state of affairs in this nation. It's not healthy even if it can sometimes be a coping mechanism to the hum drum everyday life we all have. As Os has stated before, he should just do what he does and I'll do what I do. My apologies for my overreaction regardless.

And this link to the timestamped video isn't directed at anybody. It's just something that continues to cycle through my train of thought recently is all.

FranchiseBlade and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

btw I actually did try to pm you a couple of weeks back but it looked like your settings don't allow conversations. which makes my pen pal crack that much weirder. I apologize for my part as well, I do sometimes get carried away egging people on. I am sorry for that.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If pen14 a scratch, try pen15.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm a bit fatalistic about the scale of civilization and whether our monkey minds can handle its sheer complexity. People like arguing ideals but after 100M or so people, whether things like Capitalism or Communism works as we intended in our minds is more or less out of anyone's control. It becomes a collectively unconscious Force of Will that takes a life of its own despite what is really happening in reality. There's probably a tangent that ties that with your Chernobyl clip, but I'll leave it at that..

What that means is that no one really understands wtf is happening and can only function with the role they have, then those roles performs their own function and fits into a grander system. Ofc, we're more human than roles with our insecurities, imperfections, and outright irrational and sometimes contradictory personal, professional and social desires. It becomes a tetris-like puzzle combining and synergizing multitudes of complex individuals into this 7.5 billion+ flywheel with no end in sight.

From a bottom up perspective, experts are called such from the premise that they know the most of what science or history collectively knows at the time, so that doctor claiming your friend faked her illness or her symptoms being completely psychosomatic stems from the same hubris as doctors of old (who didn't wash their clean looking and pure hands) killing women post childbirth (infections from microscopic germs on those pure Godly hands) from the attitude of being naturally clean and the most knowledgable present. She could just be another number to the doctor or even someone that doesn't fit her worldview of real or unreal just like not having words to describe a particular feeling or thought diminishes its existence.

The internet gives us a similar hubris as we have the knowledge of civilization at our fingertips, but what it is and isn't is mostly acknowledged by anyone communicating on here. It did transform society greatly, but it also cast a disappointing pall over what it couldn't do (liberate minds and masses...overthrow centuries of social baggage...transcend the human race) and that seems to diminish us as the Internet too slips away from our individual grasps for control.

I'll end my rant here, but it's always interesting how we have all the means for a simple lazy life, yet we also want to build increasingly complex edifices to signify our Progress. We want to attain both ends of the spectrum but it seems like most people are overstretched trying to achieve that while accomplishing neither ideals.

#253 Invisible Fan, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    mdrowe00 and London'sBurning like this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

PragerU? Seriously?

Commodore likes this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

How do you define those?

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think PragerU is a steaming pile of dung, but focusing on the content, they're actually right.

CRT does put racial in-group at the top of the chart.

One of the many problems with it.

17. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Read the link that both jiggy and I have shared and then compare it to what GQPers say. The former emphasizes that racism finds its way into laws and social structures; the latter claims that any discussion of racism is counterproductive and actually reverse racism against whites.

Your PragerU tweet is nonsense btw and you know it.

No Worries and mdrowe00 like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Good rest day for the bullpen. Bodes well for the rest of this series.

No Worries likes this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I didn't find that link very helpful or accurate. So, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

20. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your feelings don’t determine it’s accuracy. So if it’s ok with you, I’m just going to say you’re outright wrong.

jiggyfly likes this.