1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which team won the trade: HOU or OKC, 6 months later

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macan, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Maybe, but in DM's own words... https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ell-westbrook-the-most-intense-of-his-career/
    "...But I meant more like -- whenever you give up a significant chunk of your future, it's [a risk]. If I have any job -- and sometimes I'm the only one worried about it -- it's how do I properly balance the present and the future. When you're giving up future [assets], I need to be really careful that I'm making sure the franchise is protected for [owner] Tilman [Fertitta] and things like that ... I'd say the Chris Paul deal that got canceled [by the NBA] was the most intense after [the deal], but prior to a deal, yeah. I don't think anything was close, actually."
    Quote from the article...
    "Though there were certainly risks involved, Morey believes that the deal will ultimately be worth it, as he thinks that this iteration of the Rockets now has a chance to be the best team during his tenure, and the best Rockets squad since their titles teams of the mid-90's."

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

There's still some uneducated posters still blaming Morey for this sht trade instead of our cheap ass owner. Quite sad

DonatelloLimestone and D-rock like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

None of this means anything related to what you posted

the funny thing is the article clearly says morey told harden the trade probably wouldn’t happen and he was fine with it. I knew that already though

#223 YOLO, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I might have missed him taking credit, what I saw from this is the stat nerds throwing scenarios at the boss of why WB/Harden would be a good thing...
    https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...tta-tells-final-hours-of-paul-westbrook-deal/

Tillman said: "I was in Europe, and so I was six or seven hours ahead of them. So I’m talking at 2, 3, 4 in the morning. And we just decided to do it. They ran different statistics by me.

My basketball ops [operations] got maybe a little weak at the end, and I just said, ‘We’re doing this. We are going to make the change. We’re going to go after it and roll the dice. We’re going to find that 5 percent.

The one thing I believe you do in business, and you do in basketball, is you never sit still. You always keep it exciting. Not only is it exciting that we’re a better team, but it’s exciting for the fans. I owe it to them to give them the best opportunity to win a championship every year."

What that sounds like to me is a sleep deprived billionaire got talked into this as a way to create a super twosome and just said ok let's do this. If that's taking credit for it ok, but Morey is as much fault as TF. Morey bailed because he could see the writing on the wall and so could Mike. Neither wanted to rebuild after this disaster.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Lol @ your reading comprehension if you got tilman was talked into this when it clearly says his basketball ops got weak. Even a kid could understand that

DatRocketFan, D-rock and Richie_Rich like this.
  6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'm not a TF fan and if I said Morey/TF, would you then agree or do you think he was coerced into making the deal? Morey was the GM and I believe he's just as culpable. If your boss asks you to do something you don't agree with, you have options.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nope. Morey is gone bc of tilman. Who was fresh off signing an extension. He just couldnt take it anymore being around such a dumb owner. Westbrick has always been the epitome of a non morey player

D-rock likes this.
  8. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Right now the Suns and Jazz OWN the West. Those teams stayed put and grew internally. We had a team that literally won everything and only got held up by arguably one of the greatest teams in history. Our cheap ass owner decided he didn't want to do things to keep that team together and try to improve it. The CP3 trade was the hallmark of a series of horrible moves that fell like dominoes to undo everything.

The problem with Westbrook was everything good he can give you, he needs to do it in less than 15 shots. The problem is in his DNA that he doesn't have it in him to stop doing the things that hurt his teams. CP3 sadly could just never stay healthy but whatever he gave you was always EXACTLY what you need. He KNOWS the floor and the flow of the game. He KNOWS what will work. We knew CP3 fit and we knew Brodie didn't.

Again, the ultimate blame I give is Morey with Ryno. It was a fatal flaw. He was too afraid to make the moves earlier that he ultimate did anyway when it was too late. You cannot have a then $20M a year player sit on the bench or play to a zero stat line. This was his biggest gamble of hubris and it backfired horribly. If we had done virtually ANYTHING else at that time we maybe not only get CP3 when we do but also PG13. The world would have looked entirely different.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

So your saying Morey went against his principles and everything he believed about building a basketball team to appease his boss. Sounds like a "yes" man in a critical position, not sure why everyone wants to give Morey a free pass.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Uhh when someone literally says my
    Basketball ops got weak and I said I’m going to do this, it literally isn’t brain surgery. You’re seriously that clueless to comprehend such a statement. Just wow. The rockets are what they are right now and that’s the worse team in the league bc of tilman. And they will continue to be for years to come

D-rock likes this.
  11. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Tilman won

giddyup, ThatBoyNick and D-rock like this.
  12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

That's why he got fed up with all the BS and quit less than a year later. There's no need to quit right away cause who knows, maybe the owner isn't as stupid as it seems and it all works out. When Morey realized that he was, he got out as fast as he could and so did everyone else.

D-rock likes this.
  13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Tilman defenders always looking to blame someone else even when facts r presented to them. Their brain refuse to put tilman at fault.

14. DonatelloLimestone

" @Shark44 , post: 13582165, member: 742"]I might have missed him taking credit, what I saw from this is the stat nerds throwing scenarios at the boss of why WB/Harden would be a good thing...
    https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...tta-tells-final-hours-of-paul-westbrook-deal/

Tillman said: "I was in Europe, and so I was six or seven hours ahead of them. So I’m talking at 2, 3, 4 in the morning. And we just decided to do it. They ran different statistics by me.

My basketball ops [operations] got maybe a little weak at the end, and I just said, ‘We’re doing this. We are going to make the change. We’re going to go after it and roll the dice. We’re going to find that 5 percent.

The one thing I believe you do in business, and you do in basketball, is you never sit still. You always keep it exciting. Not only is it exciting that we’re a better team, but it’s exciting for the fans. I owe it to them to give them the best opportunity to win a championship every year."

What that sounds like to me is a sleep deprived billionaire got talked into this as a way to create a super twosome and just said ok let's do this. If that's taking credit for it ok, but Morey is as much fault as TF. Morey bailed because he could see the writing on the wall and so could Mike. Neither wanted to rebuild after this disaster.[/QUOTE]

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

In the end TIllman was his boss. So if Tilman wanted it it was going to happen. Furthermore he left after the year, I am convinced this forced trade was the main reason.

If you want to talk about Morey and going against principles, in what world is Westbrook a Morey type of player? You really believe Morey thought that Westbrook was worth Paul AND multiple picks?? Morey the guy is is famous for never offering to much (and losing possibilities as a result).....

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

“And I just said we’re going to do this.”

Why is this unclear to anyone? It was TF’s trade and no one else’s.

saleem, YOLO and DonatelloLimestone like this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

A truly hilarious thread title

YOLO and jordnnnn like this.
  18. alethios

alethios Member

That says a lot about this guy when in spite of weak or conflicting data, he rolls the dice anyway. He's got a gambler's mentality but this was one of those gambles that screwed the pooch.

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I wouldn’t quite call it a gambler’s mentality. That implies a win some/lose some situation. I’d call it more of a “shut up and listen” mentality. He’s one of those guys that made a lot of money and thinks that makes him the smartest person in any room when the converse is more often true.

I’ve said this too many times already but I can’t watch the team I’ve obsessed over my entire life anymore. Tilman’s run me off like he did every single valuable person within the organization. He’s remade it in his image and his image is ugly and it’s no surprise that the Rockets had the worst record in the league this year.

Things aren’t going to change until he sells the team. Nobody wants a ticket to board a sinking ship. I’m 52 now. I just hope I’ll be able to root for my home team before I’m cashing social security checks. It used to be my absolute favorite thing to do.

YOLO and alethios like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Otw to the nba finals bump

LMAO