1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The fishing thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

whoever animated that got it pretty much exactly right.

I used to worry a bit about trailering but then I towed a 30' camper for fifteen years. Pretty much got over my fear of trailering with that beast

Have made decent progress on the kayak trailer. Need to add the pvc bunks that the kayaks will rest on, but this is what it looks like so far.

kayak trailer in progress.jpg .

update: here's the finished project. have to tweak a few things. a surprising amount of engineering went into this project

finished trailer.jpg

#41 Os Trigonum, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I thought you were talking about the chick riding on the bow of the boat being trailered up the ramp. Worth a bit of envy, but I waited, figuring that the huge contraption with it's ass in the water was going to do something. Holy cow! My jaw dropped. Caught me completely by surprise. Damn! :eek:

3. TheresTheDagger

:(

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Looks awesome. I'm jealous.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

open for some equipment and tackle suggestions for bass. Have put together a couple of Lew's reels with some Dobyns rods. Sticking with mono for the time being. working on my casting technique.

also took the kayaks for an inaugural cross-lake trip last night, nice calm water, about a mile each way. nice outing

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

KingCheetah likes this.
  7. supaflyz

supaflyz Member

man this reminds me of going offshore fishing. Use to go a lot with my uncle on his contender or boston whaler. The water is actaully blueish green the further you go out. Only bad part is its hot and I get sea sick even after taking the medication. Don't eat no matter what they tell you before going out there. Just going to end up throwing everything up once you get out there. See all kinds of fish out there: spade fish, trigger fish, mahi mahi, king fish, red fish, speckle trout, stingrays, dolphins, amberjacks, red snapper, ling cobia, sharks, flounders, blackdrum, sheephead and so much more.. My uncle sold the bigger boats and kept the smaller once because it was so much easier to move and cost too much to put it at the marina monthly and only going during the summer. I miss going offshore fishing.

malakas, jay_09, K LoLo and 1 other person like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

I love buzz baits. Fish them around lillypads and banks and structure and such when the weather's warm...BOOOM. You can put a jig or a worm or whatever you like on it.

[​IMG]

If you're a strictly flyfisherman then just ignore anything I have to say.

#48 Buck Turgidson, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    boomboom and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Used to live in northern California where I mostly fished rivers and creeks for trout (rainbow and brown). But lived near a lake near Grass Valley and also used to love casting spinner baits for large mouth bass.

One of the few things I miss about California. I have started watching youtubes on fishing... lots of good ones and some rather entertaining ones where people fish spillways and small creeks for catfish, walleye etc.

Buck Turgidson and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

It's not my cup of tea, but I find noodling fascinating.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Here you go...

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Firstly, if you more about catching fish than the process of luring fish, live bait is always better. The only reason why companies and websites talk about lures is because that is where all the money is. 8 dollars for a bag of plastic worms. That is why all tournaments require artificial because it's more sporting and the sponsors are lure manufacturers.

If you like the process of luring fish, you need a selection that work for the lakes you fish. I would get a selection of soft plastics such as senkos and lizards, some crank baits, and some top water like spinners and buzz baits.

#52 rockbox, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

You can rent kayaks and take them to galveston. There's a lot of places to launch a Kayak and go around in the back bays. Other folks will kayak out of the beach front, but I'm not that brave.

I could see having a couple of yaks when my boys are older to go fishing in.

cheke64 likes this.
  14. SuraGotMadHops

I'm all about urban fishing around parts of inner Houston - bayous, retention ponds, creeks, and ditches. Google maps is a fisherman's best friend. Many times it involves trespassing but worth it if you can find an untapped honey hole. If somebody asks me to leave, so be it.

As bad as Galveston is as a recreational beach, it offers some of the best salt water fishing in the country, even if just off the jettys. Go deep sea and you are catching some serious stuff.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Don't think MJ should win a fishing championship by catching a Dolphin. That's just wrong.

16. Buck Turgidson

17. malakas

malakas Member

I have been sea fishing for many years. Usually from the shore though I have ocassionally have gone out with a boat and also once went with a fisherman all night fishing with light attractor.
    This year I am thinking to take up spearfishing as well with my uncle who is an experienced spearfisher.

My most memorable story was when I went fishing in the mainland one time, at around 5am at dawn in the morning suddendly all the fishes dissappeared. And then only 5 meters away from the spot on the beach I was standing there was a head emerging on the rock like a mermaid.
    It was a monk seal. It is a highly endangered animal with only a population of a few hundred in the world, so feeling extremely blessed that I got to see her even if she ate all the fish.

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

anyone have any experience with Yo-Zuri hybrid line for freshwater? supposed to combine the best of both worlds between monofilament and fluorocarbon

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Are there any good inflatable kayaks for sale on Amazon? I had a nice one for years but gave it away and don't have a desire to spend $500 or so on a new one.

20. Buck Turgidson

What do you want to do with it?