1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

So far, the only position player prospect who has been a major disappointment is Zach Daniels:

Lee, Dawson, Perez, and Papierski have broken out.

De Goti, Meyers, Martinez, Barefoot, Matijevic, McKenna, De La Cruz, Manea, and Julks have raised their stock and gone from non-prospects to firmly on the radar.

Nova, Kessinger, Santana, Barber, and Leon have been a mixed bag but overall their stock is steady.

Pena, Brewer, and Perry have been hurt (not drawing any conclusions from Brewer’s first 22 pa).

Lorenzo is still in EST.

Nothing much should have been expected of any other position player prospects.

raining threes and Milos like this.
  2. awc713

awc713 Member

Especially if your GM is Click apparently

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Makes you appreciate the Marwin years even moreso. Legit utility players don't grow on trees.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Diaz...just when he gets healthy, a pitch breaks his hand.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Marwin's outlier year was (unsurprisingly) 2017. Other than that, he has had a few slightly above average years with below average years.

His value was the ability to play 5 positions decently. Aledmys is the better offensive player. He just can't stay healthy.

Nook likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Parker Mushinski pitched a gem for Corpus last night (career high 11 k's) and is starting to look like he might have the makings of an effective multi-inning lefty reliever. The AA rotation (Bermudez, France, Brown, Mushinski, Daniels) have all been pretty good, although Daniels is walking too many guys and giving up too many longballs to be a viable prospect at this point.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Pedro Leon just hit his 6th home run of the year for Corpus.

Scott Schreiber has launched three solo homers for Asheville so far. He's got nine homers this year.

8. bobrek

Yeah...I worded that wrong. McCormick has certainly shown to be a competent backup. I was mainly talking about infielders.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping Toro adjusts to the majors this year. I think he will end up being a JD Davis/Colin Moran type that may or may not develop, but play quite a bit for other teams as the Astros don't want to waste MLB ABs on OTJ training.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Toro will be a better defensive player than Davis or Moran, which makes it more possible he can stick with Houston as a bench player. He likely won’t have as much power as Davis, but he very well could end up just as valuable. Between Pena, Papierski, Toro, and McCormick, Houston’s bench should be fantastic over the next 5 seasons.

11. bobrek

I assume he will be in the starting lineup tonight.

Joe Joe likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I could see the defense helping the Astros more than offense based on their roster. When Diaz gets back, I don't think it will matter unless he hits over the next 6 weeks. I'd guess Toro will have a better career than Davis as I think he will eventually be able to hit well enough to provide some offensive and some defensive value.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

McCormick looks better the more playing time he gets.

crose and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

His minor league numbers suggest he may still be adjusting to MLB pitching, and may see a decent drop in Ks. If that happens, I don't think there will be any way Straw starts over him other than Dusty.

Nook likes this.
  15. Screaming Fist

Mushinski has definitely looked good this season. Another pitcher that has piqued my interest in Corpus is Layne Henderson - 30th round pick in 2018, reached AA in 2019 and sucked, but has been dominant in Corpus this season - 15.7% SwStr, 29.8% K-BB, and 2.36 FIP in his first 14.1 IP at that level.

No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

McKenna (11th) and Barefoot (10th) both hit HR again for Asheville today. Their power display is getting a little ridiculous; hopefully we get to see those guys in AA for a good sample this season.

17. Buck Turgidson

I was recently made aware of the insane Home/Road splits at Asheville's Stadium. Any thoughts?

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t really know much about it. I have heard that Asheville is very much a hitter’s park. That combined with McKenna/Barefoot being a little older makes me think we won’t know what they are until they get to Corpus. Same for Schreiber.

Buck Turgidson and Astrofan59 like this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A park with these dimensions, yeah you better be hitting a lot of HR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCormick_Field

Any power numbers don't mean a damn thing to me for a player there.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

That is stupid to have a park that small in your system.

Nook likes this.