1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2021 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Click does not have the farm system that Lunhow did, so how can you compare them.

How do you expect anybody to take you seriously?

Would you like Click to bottom out so he can stock the farm like Lunhow so he can wheel and deal?

RayRay10 and Astrofan59 like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's not the General Astro section its the 2021 season general discussion.

Since railing on Click means so much to you start a thread.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  3. raining threes

What year is this? I've been talking about moves Click made this year.

4. raining threes

Adding a quality RP and a CF doesn't require a major investment. I would bet you with the current farm system Luhnow would've found a way to fill those two holes. He seemed to do that every year at the deadline and that trend probably would've continued. It's really more about talent evaluation.

Look at it this way, hopefully Clck will makes moves to fill the holes at the deadline. The jury is still out on this. So far the only trade Click's made is trading for Raley.

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I agree with your point... but that contract is not ending up at 7m/2yr. Castro already earned an extra 250k for next season. I would bet he easily makes 4.25 or 4.5 million next year as he will reach 30 or 40 games started at catcher barring injury. Castro could still make 5 million if Maldonado has some injury issues. If Castro starts at catcher for 60 games he gets 5 million next year.

raining threes likes this.
  6. raining threes

This, you could also not have re-signed Smith and had around 10 mil. You could get a guy like S. Marte for that money and still added a guy like Kennedy for the bullpen.

Oh well, what's done is done so hopefully Straw can do the job and Click can add a guy like Graveman to the BP.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

1. Luhnow signed Smith
    2. Starling Marte was not a free agent and was not available for trade
    3. Kennedy would have been a nice add

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Judging him this early in his tenure is insane. At least give him a chance.

RayRay10, Astrofan59 and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

LOL give me a break. Even at $5M next year then he will have gotten $8.5/2yr. You’re not getting anything close to resembling an everyday CF in free agency for that price.

RayRay10 and Astrofan59 like this.
  10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Which is why I said I agree with your point....

11. awc713

awc713 Member

GMing sure is easy in hindsight.

jiggyfly, Astrofan59 and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. raining threes

How long should waiting be required, we're in year two and actually the third offseason. Do you want to wait until year four, year five?

13. raining threes

I guess Smith sitting out last year made his contract toll?

Marte was just an example, I'm not sure who was available in trade. I know the FA CF market was thin.

14. raining threes

When you called these as bad moves before the season started, that's not called hindsight.

15. raining threes

Put Castro's money with Baez money and there should be plenty of money to get a CF in trade and pickup a guy like Kennedy on the cheap. Plus you can create more money by trading a guy like Smith.

16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Wouldn't be unreasonable to do so. GM'ing in baseball takes a long time to show results. He's still riding the efforts of the Luhnow regime. He's got 1 draft class under his belt and it usually takes 3-5 years for prospects to make the majors. If* he chooses to reshape the front office and development process that'll also take years for changes to show up. Even at the ML level, Click really has only had to make minor moves on the position player side and watch Luhnow-developed pitchers come to the forefront.

On top of that, he's a brand new GM. He's not Dave Dombrowski riding in with years of experience to immediately win a ring.

Basically i give him a lot of rope right now.

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

1. Smith signed a 2 year 8 million dollar deal in December of 2019 for the 20 and 21 seasons
    2. Luhnow was fired a month later in January 2020
    3. Smith did not play in 2020 but still had the year left for 2021

18. raining threes

Agreed, but since he's riding Luhnow's coattails he gets a lot less rope. The pieces are in place to win a few more championships with a few tweaks. He needs to learn on the fly. I dontr like his reshaping of the front office. I'm a big Goldstein guy.

19. Buck Turgidson

I'm me. And I'll tell you anything I want to.

No Worries likes this.
  20. raining threes

[Lol, I enjoy debate and you can tell me anything you want. The fact that I'm going to do what I want seems to be a foreign concept to some. ( Not you)