1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

California has a staggering

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 11, 2021.

1. DonatelloLimestone

Exactly, and thats their primary voting base. Basically these young folk movements and their ability to consolidate and spread the word on technology is paramount to be able to translate into votes and thats certainly a possiblility to create an incredibly engaged voting block and change the game, but hasn't happened yet. Even in the last election which may have been the most charged in recent history with all things considered and a guy with a track record of lying that was embarassing even by political standards to another guy with a bad track record, but still with the EC it was not far off from being flipped to a win and you see all the movement and protest this year didn't really fully translate into votes.-not to its potential.

Yea the homelessness is an absolute crisis and obviously there are so many angles to it because i'd imagine the levels of homeless who are just in economic situations rather than drugs or illness grows. Its not an easy situation by any strech, but california politicians have shown they aren't really upto the task especially not efficiently.

I thought newsom was a smart guy, but I'm not in this game to protect newsoms brand. Any politician should be repllaceable and we can find someone else to represent the job if one person has gotten too volatile. It aint an easy gig for the faint of the art, but we should be faster to move onto the next one to change the climate to less personality branding and loyalty and more about policy. So now feinstein can't remember what she just said a minute ago-it ain't about her with respect to her years up there, they can still contribute as advisors if they are so patriotic but as executive decision makers our job is not to build heros for history books and portraits in capitol hill. onto the next one, sadly partisans just blindly defend and it slows down any effective change

2. DonatelloLimestone

Its still an oversimplification, its like Trump posting all the numbers of the stock market or what not citing it rising and saying hes doing a great job. Most of the time eonomics works in cycles and there are so many forces and of course, politicians-maybe less respected or should be than refereees, just try to jump on the chance to take credit or get a photo op.

California has some crippling regulations and taxes if you want to start a new business there, social mobility is further and further as home ownership has only gotten less and less realistic for a heavy majority of the people, leading to an entire rentals market generation adn consolidation of wealth and ownership getting smaller and smaller. Likewise for small businesses, like new york they have so many loop holes and red tapes that it strongly skews it for ease for large large business. This will change the landscape and meanwhile each year theyll cite a number or two to say they re doing great.

Sadly, its a partisan matter. ITs always Cali vs Texas or florida rather than seeing the terrible flaws and gimmicks by both of them. Coumo has almost the same situation as california above and he is a mob style crook. Now texas...we all saw what happeend with the ice storm.. They raised prices on consumers and had the government support, then the government clearly got together and opted to goto the press and blame it on wind energy which was 15 percent or less of our main source not to mention not winterized to withstand those matters. It worked great for the tribes to just screeam and shout see, but hid the flaws. The texas AG, like cuomo is an openly corrupt *******. Partisanship keeps these openly corrupt assholes in power. Don't do it.

3. Buck Turgidson

I like things

B-Bob likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I don't hear California begging for reduce power usage on in mid-June, not the dog days of August. Maybe they know what they are doing. How about Abbott fix ERCOT, instead of focusing on voter suppression.

mdrowe00 and No Worries like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure things aren't perfect. But it isn't crippling the economy or stopping growth. I'm a small business owner myself. There are times when the different regulations cause pain.

But they also have ways to make it easier and ways to support.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

California and Washington State really drove the tech boom with Apple, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Netflix, etc...... Yes they are expanding outside of California, but they are still adding offices there.

Look at the GDP growth between states from 2010- 2020....... I think people really underestimate the knowledge infrastructure that has developed in California. I would imagine the 2020s will see more normalized growth.

7. DonatelloLimestone

Definitely sometimes regulations are needed, important, useful. No doubt about that, I do think california and nyc have crossed the line over and it cripples not just small business but the ability to start new businesses and I'm not talking just taxes. Nothing is more harmful theat bad regualtion because it also compromises trust in the system taht we all need and feed off of. California and nyc are great places, thats why they can withstand the crazy corruption or stupid bureaucracy- I s ay that know believing some are really really important. I think of the hatch act nationally as just dumb deregulation flooding the market with fraudelance. And as any lib,right or any politician working under cuomo in ny will tell you, he runs it a lot like trump, like a mob boss. ITs hilarious to see people blindly agree with cnn and paint him as some strong decisive leader while he worte a book during the pandemic while also not having time to do anything. Get out the old guard.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yet california is a top 10 state to start a business.

Interesting.

https://www.seekcapital.com/blog/best-states-to-start-business/

#48 jiggyfly, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  9. DonatelloLimestone

Based on what metrics?
    I'd imagine anyone who actually has had started several businesses wouldn't say that. I think texas politics is so obviously overtly corrupt where they don't really stand for anything but if you are a good donor, you will get what you want. California totally isn't far from that but they have much harder red tape and entry to sustain. What do they live off of? This a place where tourism and population will not die, its got constant good weather, so there are a lot of great reasons to be there and perhaps do well in enterprise, but no their policies don't help and now its brushing the surface of facing all of it.
    I'd say that argument is akin to someone who reads box score or plus minus and finds that definitive. Like florida citing their covid stats or something...doesn't tell the whole story

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://www.seekcapital.com/blog/best-states-to-start-business/

11. DonatelloLimestone

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL.

The metrics are fine.

In order to identify the best states to start a business, Seek Capital conducted a study that analyzed all 50 states in the United States using a research methodology that analyzed 21 critical factors. Here’s a brief overview of the factors considered:

• Five-year growth in the working-age population
    • Employment statistics like labor force participation rate and the unemployment rate
    • Business tax climate based on corporate taxes, individual income taxes, sales taxes, property taxes and unemployment taxes
    • Venture capital deal flow based on the number of companies that received venture capital funding
    • Economic statistics such as GDP growth, 10-year establish growth rate and 10-year establish growth in strong industry clusters
    • Cost of living and real labor compensation cost per hour
    • One-year and five-year business survival rate
    One category of factors — startup activity — was weighted more heavily in the study. These factors were sourced from the Kauffman Indicators of Entrepreneurship. The startup activity category includes four factors that are particularly important to potential entrepreneurs:

• Rate of new entrepreneurs: The percent of the population that starts a new business – don’t forget, business names are important
    • Opportunity share of new entrepreneurs: The percent of entrepreneurs who started their business by choice (opportunity) instead of out of necessity
    • Startup early job growth creation: Average number of jobs created by each startup in their first year
    • Startup early survival rate: The percentage of startups that are still active after one year

13. DonatelloLimestone

Startups are it? what about small business, local business, mom and pop shops. things that are more diversily accessible to start a business to most of the population young and old, and also not relying on funding from VC which also change the direction.
    So yea, its great to start up and be in silicon valley. Thats really you're definitive barometer?

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's obvious you did not read the link.

That's only one metric.

It's not all startups and even so its still new businesses which counters your argument.

Don't be that guy.

15. DonatelloLimestone

yea the overall metrics seem to support large tech start ups. Yes california is very tough on small business, makes you jump loopholes you wouldn't eslewhere mean while general cost, real estate, mobility are harder to achieve there a new in both nyc and california. As mentioned above, doesn't account for any of that. It speaks to a tech hub, access to main capital, a large population and consumer base, tahts definitely geared towards a certain type of 'start up'. Don't be that guy man ,you read an article, congrats. Anyone whose started a business or trying to on youre own that doesnt have a pipeline or a hope for VC funding who would love being in a place with such great population density as nyc and california sitll will struggle through california regulation compared to many places let alone the sustainability. but you can die on the hill becuse you read the stats, don't be the box score plus/minus and live and die by it guy, I don't think you'll listen.

16. Buck Turgidson

Really? You've never heard about blackouts in California?

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

California didn’t have 600 die from a Winter Storm because they could stay warm. Cali could pull from other states to avoid their Grid Collapsing.

18. adoo

adoo Member

. You’re referring to the ones manipulated by Enron, B4 it went bankrupt

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Would rather be box score guy than to be have nothing to back up my rhetoric guy and just use a llot of words to try and make a point.

Nothing in that link said large tech startups, you are just using that non fact to try and ignore the actual numbers.

Where are these large tech startups in Fla Utah and Texas since they are all in the top 5?

They use the same criteria for all 50 states.

20. DonatelloLimestone

Are you serious? You are not seeing the large start ups move or set up base in Texas due to tax incentives, land incentives, etc? Its not a we do it better thing, its we are much cheaper at the current situation and aare far more business friendly then the other places. Just to set up shop, the red tape, or even for property renovations its always a massive headache dealing with california currently then texas. I'm not sure what business you own or a part of, this is just a fact in the matter of amount of regulations they have. Some as others have mentioned are important and helpful safeguards, some are just absolutely arbitrary senseless and time wasting, some folks who love and propsper in california will tell you that. I'm not sure you'll find one business owner or investor who has done business there who wouldn't cite that. Does it make it impossible? no. Its a very attractive place as mention with the poopulation density etc, but if you're not in tech or movies which have the best incentives in california then its more of an annoyance to do business there and especially ny and they've gotten by the govertnment does by the popularity of the place, and a pandemic brings all that to the forefront on how difficult it is to bounce back. But Enjoy your article