1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Since Straw has come around a bit and their rotation is full, their needs really should be able to be filled without the Astros going over. Even if they acquire a RP with a salary in the $5-10M range, it wouldn’t be excessive to add prospects to get the other team to pay the remaining balance. I am also wondering if they might be in the market for a utility player.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

There are a number of relievers on cheap deals. They might not even have to get any money in return.

Yimi Garcia 1.9 million (about 650k remaining around deadline)
    Ian kennedy 2.15 million (about 750k remaining around deadline)
    Richard Rodriguez 1.7 million (about 575k remaining around deadline)
    Kendall Graveman 1.25 million plus incentives* (about 425k remaining around deadline)
    Michael Fulmer 3.1 million (about 1.1 million remaining around deadline)
    Paul Fry 581k (about 200k remaining around deadline)
    Daniel Bard 2.95 million (about 1 million remaining around deadline)

* Graveman has 3 incentives:
    1.5 million for 40 games finished
    500k for 60 innnings
    500k for being on the active roster 150 days

He missed time from Covid so the only incentive he is likely to hit is the being on the active roster for 150 days. That would bring his cost up to 1.75 million for the year. Depending on who pays the incentive he would cost either 425k or 925k for the remainder of the season.

everyday eddie and Htown Legend like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I really like your list. Would add Scott Barlow who I also think does not have a significant contract.

Buck Turgidson and Htown Legend like this.
  4. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

I'm going to pivot and suggest the Astros make a move for Max Scherzer. The Nats are going nowhere this year and Scherzer is in the last year of his deal.

I think he would bring that swagger we lost when Verlander went down and have a similar effect that Verlander brought in 2017. Our young pitching has been great but untested in the playoffs. Running a 4 man rotation of Scherzer, Grienke, Valdez and McCullers/Odorizzi smells like a championship to me.

Package Garcia or Javier plus 1-2 B level prospects.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s tempting to look at him since he’s the most impactful available player. And if Houston doesn’t get him it means they may have to face him in the playoffs. But given his salary, Houston’s financial limitations, and the fact that Valdez is pitching like an ace and the rest of their rotation projects to be pretty good, I don’t think it makes good sense to trade for him. Now, signing him this offseason is another story. He is likely to avoid the QO by being traded, and Houston having a full 3-4 seasons of Scherzer, Framber, McCullers, Urquidy, and Odorizzi/Garcia means no worries on the SP front. And Houston should have the payroll flexibility to make that move.

6. Buck Turgidson

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

9. CinematicFusion

Agree. I still think there is an outside chance we sign Verlander if he looks healthy. Grienke is gone.
    Wouldn’t be surprised if Astros offer Correa a 7 year 210 million contract if he finishes a solid offensive year.

10. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Only spot I see a need for is a bullpen upgrade and there are plenty of options to choose from..Y. Garcia, I. Kennedy, R. Rodriguez, T. Rodgers, P. Fry, K. Graveman.

Playoff roster:

Maldonado, Castro, Gurriel, Altuve, Bregman, Correa, Tucker, Straw, Brantley, Alvarez, Diaz, McCormick. Last spot between R. Garcia, Toro, maybe Pedro Leon.

Valdez, Grienke, McCullers, L. Garcia

Pressly, Trade acquisition, Baez, Paredes, Taylor, Javier, Urquidy, Odorizzi, Pruitt

Still would have options of J. Smith, Stanek, Raley, J. James, Scrubb, etc as well

11. raining threes

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Cash. Likely almost nothing. Quintana was getting squeezed out of playing time by Papierski and with Stubbs and Shaver also on the roster he’d likely have been released. I’m sure it was just a few thousand dollars.

13. Buck Turgidson

Quintana was pure roster filler in case of emergency in the big leagues.

I'm ready for Lee to move up.

raining threes and Htown Legend like this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Through 65 Games, we (kinda) know who the 2021 Astros are
    Here’s what the 2021 Astros are: a team with an explosive offense and the best starting pitching in the AL.

The Astros glaring weakness is its bullpen. Too many of its arms have been bad, and too few reliable.

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2021/...5-games-we-kinda-know-who-the-2021-astros-are

Seems obvious. Hopefully that translates into reality (getting more BP arms).

15. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Wish: granted.

16. SuraGotMadHops

I don't think Baez and Pruitt actually exist.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Hey, Pruitt is going on rehab assignment!

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Wait, what?

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He's talking about Korey Lee moving up to AA.

20. Buck Turgidson

That's literally exactly what I was talking about.