1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Some of the same people who believe Bait shooting wasn't justified believe that Chauvin was justified in putting his knee on a motionless human's neck for 5 minutes.

jiggyfly and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

At the time of her breaching, she wasn't. However did the Capitol Police know that? She was with a mob of people acting in a hostile manner.

It seems that when regular police kill regular unarmed people, their excuse is "I thought he pulled a gun"..."I thought he was reaching for a gun"...."His toy gun looked real".... and the vast majority of the time, the police are given the benefit of the doubt.

superfob, mdrowe00, jo mama and 2 others like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And in those instances if those individuals were behind a mob that already trampled over multiple officers, I could see justification for lethal force but that isn't the case in most of those incidents. It was the case for Babit.

mdrowe00 and jo mama like this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is not a reach to believe that. The crowd was chanting their intention of murdering. The crowd had used weapons to attack officers of the law. She was a part of that crowd and shouted for others to join her in storming through the barricaded door. It is unreasonable to not presume that she had peaceful intent and wasn't a threat.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

And how many cops shoot people who are madly trying to claw their way into a cop car amid a chanting mob surrounding said car?

And anyway, average cops are not even charged with guarding the safety of our otherwise vulnerable elected officials. IMHO, we should quit taking this bait. @Astrodome means well, but the forces bringing up the one protestor as some sort of martyr do not mean well. They mean to distract from the story of the insurrection. As if the main mistake that happened wasn't coordinating lying, inciting, attempts to overturn a proper American election, etc,... but that a security person made a very difficult call in trying to protect the lives of legislators.

One person acted for months in such a way to put Ashli in harm's way, and many other people abetted that process, and certain news outlets also served to amplify the lies and put people like Ashli, like our elected officials, and like Capitol security at serious risk.

If Trump doesn't dispute reality starting in early November, neither that woman nor the unnamed man who pulled the trigger even end up in that absurd situation. It doesn't get more simple than the truth.

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i dont think its a reach at all...and she totally loses the benefit of the doubt when she attacked our capitol with a group that had been beating up cops (blue lives matter, right trumpers?) and were running thru the halls of OUR capitol shouting "hang mike pence" and "nancy where are you". she was literally on the front lines of this group of terrorists who were attempting to breach a secure area where sitting members of congress were hiding. she was on the front lines with a group who were openly talking about murdering the sitting vice president and going after members of congress. she made the decision to cross a barrier thru a broken window and it got her killed. want to blame someone for that...blame her...blame the jackass who lifted her up thru the window...blame trump for inciting them.

what exactly to you think she was going to do once she got back there?

#3306 jo mama, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    mdrowe00 likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

And to astrodome... ashli babbitt was a patriotic martyr...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Blue Lives Don't Matter to these republicans...

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I get it and I will give the officer the benefit of doubt. I dont think it is outrageous to ask the same questions that are asked when a black person is shot by a cop.

10. NewRoxFan

Pretty sad you now try to introduce race into the discussion. Multiple people have explained the difference (federal law enforcement, a terrorist attack on our government, elected officials in danger). Just come out and say "I have to defend trump"... it would at least be honest.

11. NewRoxFan

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yall act like this was some type of 9 eleven like tragedy. There are bigger tragedies than this every month. Convict them of trespassing and move on.
    So I introduced race?!? Give me a break. The reason this story is lingering so long is because the media wants to claim this was a white supremacy attack. Or did Merrick Garland introduce race today before my post?

I dont have to defend trump. I defend the half of america that is getting shamed because of what happened that day.

13. NewRoxFan

Oy, now you are stepping in with the "it was no big deal"... soon you will be calling it a "peaceful protest".

It was the worst attack on the US Capital since the Civil War. It was nothing less than a terrorist attack with the intent to overturn the 2020 presidential election. Armed people literally attacked the heart of of country's government. Insurrectionists battled with law enforcement, stormed the Capital, and tried to get to elected officials, including the Vice President.

And yes, you introduced race to deflect...

And yes... you have spent the past four years defending trump. And now those that attacked the very core of our democracy. And that should bring shame.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the story is lingering so long because an American President lied about having an election stolen and told people to fight about it. Those people then stormed the capital in an effort to stop the Democratic process and overturn an election. This might be the first time in our nation's history that this happened. It deserves prolonged focus.

It wasn't okay that the president of our nation did that, and it isn't okay that so many people latched on to the idea or that so many others are willing to ignore it.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I was going to defend your position here actually then you posted this which didn’t help your cause.

A. Yes there’s a discussion to be had about use of force. I think there’s an argument on either side but the fact is given the basis that police use daily, there is good cause that makes the case that at that moment, if she had gotten through, given Congress was still right there on the other side of that door, that the officer who shot her might have saved the lives of Congressman had she gotten through and broken through the barricade in that moment.

Right or wrong about that fact, the fact that the case can be made means that a defendant would lose that case surely in court. There’s no case to be made that had George Floyd not been killed that him not being killed would have led to others or officers being killed. Do you not see the difference and the legal precedent for charging officers in a case like this?

B. It’s crazy that you do not see this as a tragedy. For an attempted coup to happen in this country is just something i never thought I would witness. It’s beyond sad and brings me to my last point.

C. Half of the country you say you are defending are actually at least partially victims. They are victims of lies and propaganda that has radicalized their religious and political beliefs to serve a self defeating purpose. If you want to defend conservative America, the best thing you can advocate for is a house cleaning of the propaganda which turns normal conservative citizens into QAnon white nationalist nutcases. I’ve seen some of my closest family members… good people… get lost in this rabbit hole that affects their daily lives in a negative way. They need help and that help cannot come from people like me who are identified as libs… it’s gotta come from inside the house from people like you.

If people like you are still seeing that “the libs” or some fictitious conspiracy Illuminati figure are the only reason for the problems of the right then things will continue to get worse. People like you need to step up and advocate for a little look inside the house.

And if people like you can’t see that something like January 6th is even a problem in the first place…. Fck me we are screwed.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I genuinely curious how you equate Jan 6th mob attack of the capital to shaming half of America?

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

5 people died that day and there are two federal investigations by prosecutors. One for the death of the women that broke through the barrier and was shot and the other for the officer that died. Many more officers and rioters were injured. It is not at all a reach to think it's was a very dangerous situation where weapon might need to be used to defend yourself, the capital and member of Congress.

18. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Jan 6th is easily worse than 9/11. The attackers have come from inside the country. There is many of them, and they are still here.
    There's no clear solution (better procedures for cabin security, background checks for flight school) because one political party is accepting the end of democratic process.

Basically, one was a visually horrific attack, the other is an existential crisis for a country.

FranchiseBlade and jo mama like this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think it might be a matter of laws. This article explain some of it.

Why We Know The Officer Who Killed Daunte Wright—But Not Ashli Babbitt (forbes.com)

Congress has not required the U.S. Capitol Police to follow the same public reporting or transparency protocols that govern most large municipal police forces like its neighbor, the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

While D.C. police are required by law to release the names of officers involved in deaths or serious uses of force within five days of the incident, the Capitol Police force is not—and has often chosen to withhold that information in previous cases.

U.S. Capitol Police officers are also not equipped with body cameras, unlike the MPD, which must, along with disclosing names, release the video from the cameras of officers involved in serious incidents.

In Minnesota, where Wright was shot on Sunday during a traffic stop, the state’s Bureau of Criminal Apprehension publicly releases the names of officers involved in shooting deaths, identifying the Brooklyn Center officer who shot Wright as Kim Potter the night after the fatal encounter.

In a bid to increase transparency in the wake of Geroge Floyd’s death, the state has also enacted a strict body camera policy which requires officers to keep their cameras on at all times during most calls, even while having casual conversations with colleagues.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that in the interest of transparency the name of the LEO that shot Ashli Babbitt should be released. That said that doesn't mean that her shooting was unjustified or that the situation on Jan. 6th wasn't that serious.

This is the US CAPITOL. It is the seat of our government and at a time when the US Congress was in the midst of performing their duty on the transfer of power. This wasn't the looting of a Target.

As far as shaming half the country frankly anyone who supported this and still is continuing to peddle a false narrative that this was a peaceful protests that other than the date was the same as a tour group should be ashamed.