1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT] Hunting Leaks by the Trump admin through the DoJ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not surprising, another abuse of power via Trump's DOJ.

Anyone remembers claim of witch-hunt and fishing expedition from the Trump people? As usual, they do what they accuse of others.

Hunting Leaks, Trump Officials Seized Records of Democrats - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

WASHINGTON — As the Justice Department investigated who was behind leaks of classified information early in the Trump administration, it took a highly unusual step: Prosecutors subpoenaed Apple for data from the accounts of at least two Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee, aides and family members. One was a minor.

All told, the records of at least a dozen people tied to the committee were seized in 2017 and early 2018, including those of Representative Adam B. Schiff of California, then the panel’s top Democrat and now its chairman, according to committee officials and two other people briefed on the inquiry. Representative Eric Swalwell of California said in an interview Thursday night that he had also been notified that his data had subpoenaed.

Prosecutors, under the beleaguered attorney general, Jeff Sessions, were hunting for the sources behind news media reports about contacts between Trump associates and Russia. Ultimately, the data and other evidence did not tie the committee to the leaks, and investigators debated whether they had hit a dead end and some even discussed closing the inquiry.

But William P. Barr revived languishing leak investigations after he became attorney general a year later. He moved a trusted prosecutor from New Jersey with little relevant experience to the main Justice Department to work on the Schiff-related case and about a half-dozen others, according to three people with knowledge of his work who did not want to be identified discussing federal investigations.

The zeal in the Trump administration’s efforts to hunt leakers led to the extraordinary step of subpoenaing communications metadata from members of Congress — a nearly unheard-of move outside of corruption investigations. While Justice Department leak investigations are routine, current and former congressional officials familiar with the inquiry said they could not recall an instance in which the records of lawmakers had been seized as part of one.

Moreover, just as it did in investigating news organizations, the Justice Department secured a gag order on Apple that expired this year, according to a person familiar with the inquiry, so lawmakers did not know they were being investigated until Apple informed them last month.

Prosecutors also eventually secured subpoenas for reporters’ records to try to identify their confidential sources, a move that department policy allows only after all other avenues of inquiry are exhausted.

The subpoenas remained secret until the Justice Department disclosed them in recent weeks to the news organizations — The Washington Post, The New York Times and CNN — revelations that set off criticism that the government was intruding on press freedoms.

...​

No Worries, Blatz and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

And here's william barr, answering a question on this in 2019...

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump had his own white house counsel investigated...

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Only the best

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

McGahn has played this pretty well the last few years. He was more a Trumper than Trump himself when it came to remaking conservative federal courts. He then sought legal approval from Trump's private attorneys before agreeing to cooperate with Mueller. He then documented every time Trump asked him to do something illegal, refused to do it, and told Mueller. Then he bounced. That's pretty effective for someone trying to get something done in Trump world. Trump gave him free reign over the courts and McGahn was one of the few competent Trump hires who accomplished set goals. Of course the smart ones aren't going to fall on their swords for Trump - they stil have futures after Trump.

mdrowe00, FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

One of the few that has ethics while serving the Trump admin. Imagine the POTUS keeps trying to break the laws and keeps pressuring you on how to do it 'legally'. Of course, for being ethical and not just a yes man, the victim-mindset of the Trump people thought he might have leaked and gone after his records.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I’m sure that it is 100% coincidental that Trump’s DOJ did not go after Fox News and Congressional Republicans.

FrontRunner likes this.
  8. DonatelloLimestone

With all of these polticiian on both sides of the isle essnetially voting to preserve their electability and sustain their own power, how do you do a away with a system that incentivizes that? Term limits? Bc it seems the only deflectors are ones that are not running for reelection

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I mean, I wouldn't call him Mother Teresa or anything. He is just smarter than a Michael Cohen.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No,I wouldn’t either. Just basic professional ethics, which was severely lacking in that admin.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

There's no easy solution. I like term limits in theory. I also like public campaign financing.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  12. DonatelloLimestone

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Right to voting with ease, full support and no interference/blockage from gov is essential. And voting needs to be ranked (rank choice voting) so that we get away from the two-party mindset.

mdrowe00 and DonatelloLimestone like this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

IG to investigate and AG Garland made statement re-establishing, strengthening norm of independence.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/statement-attorney-general-merrick-b-garland

U.S. Attorney General Merrick B. Garland today made the following statement:

“As I stated during my confirmation hearing, political or other improper considerations must play no role in any investigative or prosecutorial decisions. These principles that have long been held as sacrosanct by the DOJ career workforce will be vigorously guarded on my watch, and any failure to live up to them will be met with strict accountability. There are important questions that must be resolved in connection with an effort by the department to obtain records related to Members of Congress and Congressional staff. I have accordingly directed that the matter be referred to the Inspector General and have full confidence that he will conduct a thorough and independent investigation. If at any time as the investigation proceeds action related to the matter in question is warranted, I will not hesitate to move swiftly.

“In addition, and while that review is pending, I have instructed the Deputy Attorney General, who is already working on surfacing potentially problematic matters deserving high level review, to evaluate and strengthen the department’s existing policies and procedures for obtaining records of the Legislative branch. Consistent with our commitment to the rule of law, we must ensure that full weight is accorded to separation-of-powers concerns moving forward.”

mdrowe00 likes this.
  15. DonatelloLimestone

Yea, its amazing to me that people actualyl got away with making giving water in an election line illegal. I am actually for some voter id laws, even pelosi was looking for millions to make election security better before it became a political topic. We have odl and inefficient machines, technology has changed so much, why not continue to update.

but agree in making it more accessible as well and rank choice is a great idea