1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin as a Pekin Duck

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mig0s, Aug 27, 2019.

1. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

I agree that his injuries and age took away a good amount of his athletic ability. But his BBIQ allowed him to be in the top 7 scorers in the G League and top 4 in assists. Of course, G League is not the NBA, but the point being he didn't get those stats because of skill...he got them because of BBIQ.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin was a great Portland Trailblazer, he helped beat the Rockets

3. foh

foh Member

I seem to recollect him being on covers of a lots of publications a la lebron james. If that's not being a star, I don't know what is.

Anyway, I doubt any self-respecting pro-athlete would wish a "compliment" of that sort, but what do I know.

@tinman, what do you think of Harden allegedly bringing his buddy Westbrook here and setting off a sequence of crashing and burning of the franchise? Must be Lin's fault too in your eyes, right?

4. tinman

Supporting Member

Lin fans were never Rockets fans
    Im not answering dumb lof stuff
    Morey dumped him right after the Portland series
    That’s beyond obvious why

no more first round exits after that embarrassment

5. tinman

Supporting Member

He’s still out of the league and his nut hugger fans are still around like ants at a picnic
    I understand you can be a fan of anything or anyone
    Pokémon, tiktok stars, the dude who eats lots of food on man vs food,

this is by far the worst Fanbase in the history of organic and non organic life
    @VanityHalfBlack

like if you were fans of pet snails
    That would be better than a Lin fan

Milk Haiir and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  6. yoeddy

Lin left the court with the Rockets holding a lead and less than a second on the clock. He had to stand by helplessly on the sideline as Lillard hit the series-winner. So sad.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

tilman burned the franchise

Tilman was dead set on trading CP3
    Tilman let covington go
    Tilman hired a rookie coach

so you expect Harden to lead to Tilman's tank?

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

having a nunch of points and assists doesn't autmatically mean someone has bb iq

if Lin had elite bbiq like rondp or cp3 he would have played more for the raptors

9. yoeddy

Right, definitely understand that having a bunch of points and assists doesn't automatically mean someone has BBIQ. My point was that he was able to get the points and assists after his athleticism had dropped substantially (very obvious if you watched him in the G League games). Lots of guys can get stats because they are outstanding athletically, but Lin can no longer claim that. To get the points and assists, he had to play smarter...eg. high BBIQ.

As far as his time with the Raptors, I disagree. They gave him a chance and he shot poorly...37% from the field, 20% from 3pt...I don't care how good your BBIQ is, you're not going to get playing time in the playoffs if you are shooting like that (especially when there's another backup PG on the roster who is shooting much better than like VanVleet). At the time, I thought maybe the injuries had finally caught up with him, but now I think that maybe the pressure of trying to fit in as a late addition to a championship-level team got to him...am certainly not ruling out that he just choked. But that is not an indictment of the mental strength he's needed to have the basketball career he's had.

As far as comparisons to Rondo and CP3, why compare him to a 4x All-Star and a future HoFer? No one is saying Lin's BBIQ is on that level.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

11. tinman

Supporting Member

@HardenVolumeOne

Harden wasted a playoff series thanks to Portland's 3rd guard

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Players with good basketball IQ don't make boneheaded plays like the one above.

Reading the game clock and game situation is crucial for any player but especially someone playing the PG position

This was not a one off thing with Armey either.

He had a habit of jumping in the air with the ball in his hands with no where to go and no one to pass to. He had a habit of dribbling himself into trouble. Part of the issue was his poor ball handling skills, other part was just bad decision making with the ball. He had a tunnel vision, run pick and roll, that's it.

Same mistakes over and over again. There is no way you could trust this guy with the ball in his hands in a crucial game. You could get a good play, but more often than not you were getting a ticking time bomb. Which is also why he didnt sniff a minute of any meaningful time with the Raptors in the playoffs despite them needing some PG production.

No one wants a "PG" who has failed to learn and improve over the years. Which is why he is out of the league.

If you are going to invest in boneheaded players, might as well invest in a young one who still has the potential for a change and one that is more skillful. Much better chance of return on investment.

13. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah i got you bro, lol. @tinman

yoeddy and tinman like this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

Thank goodness we are real Rockets fans

VanityHalfBlack and yoeddy like this.
  15. yoeddy

It seems like you stopped watching him once he left the Rockets. Understandable, since I know you are a Rockets fan and really don't have an interest in following his career. Consensus among his coaches in Charlotte, Brooklyn and Atlanta, as well as his G-League coaches, as well as teammates like Spencer Dinwiddie, Trae Young and many others in both the NBA and G-League, plus Mike D'Antoni, have all spoken highly of Lin's BBIQ and have valued his mentorship on those respective teams. Heck, even Kevin McHale has talked about how much Lin improved after his time with the Rockets. But I guess you know better from watching him in his two years with the Rockets? Lol!

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yeah, he had great bball IQ, which is why he was traded at a loss from Rockets, Lakers didnt want him, Hornets let him walk to Nets, and Toronto never let him touch the ball when it mattered.

And out of the league lol.

But but they said nice things about Airemy...

They all say nice things. Words are cheap.

When it mattered, he was bounced around until no ne wanted him.

High IQ players last longer in the league, even when their physical abilities decline. Airemy didnt even have IQ to bank on.

lol @ G League coaches comment. Ooooohhhh G League! haha

His dumb low IQ plays and bad decisions with the ball didnt just stop with Rockets. That's why he has been a journeyman and out of the league.

King1 and tinman like this.
  17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol. Jeremy Lin and high bball IQ shouldn't be in the same sentence. He was a mental midget on the court. Look at how much Kobe hated playing with him

Zboy likes this.
  18. yoeddy

Rockets traded at a loss...yes, I agree he wasn't playing at a level worth $15M for that year.
    Lakers didn't want him...they were trying to tank.
    Hornets let him walk...because they were committed to Kemba Walker and Lin wanted a starting role which he got with the Nets.
    Toronto didn't play him in the playoffs...because he played uncharacteristically poorly when he got there. 2 months of bad basketball in a 9 year career doesn't define him.

He's out of the league because his injuries (and maybe his age) caught up with him...no one wants to sign a player with durability issues on the downside of his career. I'll even go as far as saying that he probably turned off a lot of GMs with his public crying, and his activism around Asian-American issues might be a distraction at a minimum and a locker room problem at its worst. Among his coaches and his teammates, his BBIQ hasn't been an issue.

19. mig0s

mig0s Member

Stop talking about BBIQ y'all making me hungry

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

lol exactly.

I have heard many things about Airemy

But calling him a player with good IQ really takes the cake.

The guy was dumb with the ball in his hands and always tried to play with one gear.

When that gear fell apart....

King1 likes this.