1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin as a Pekin Duck

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mig0s, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

It was never about basketball because clearly Clarkson is a lot better player.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I mean if there was a successful Korean or Japanese baller in the league those groups would do it too. As would any other ethnocentric country. Koreans (myself as well) do it with Son Heung Min who is a German born and raised Korean.

yoeddy likes this.
  3. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Clarkson was drafted coming out of college with a year left of eligibility, so clearly expectations were higher for him than they were for Lin. But its definitely debatable whether or not Clarkson is "clearly a lot better" than Lin. Purely from a standard statistical perspective, Clarkson has an edge in points per game and Lin has an edge in assists per game. Surprisingly, Lin also has a slight edge in defensive stats too (steals and blocks). Of course, its difficult to compare since Lin has played significant time at both PG and SG, whereas Clarkson is really mostly a SG, so their roles are different. Also, Lin has been a starter for far more games than Clarkson has in their respective NBA careers, even though Clarkson has played more NBA games...not sure how that would impact the stats overall, but it would definitely be an argument against the idea that Clarkson is "clearly better" than Lin.

Clearly for the fans who supported and cheered Lin on, basketball had a lot to do with it. Of course, there are lots of other players who are "clearly better" than Lin, but none of those provided the same level of relatability as Lin based on his life experiences as an Asian-American, an underdog and an Ivy Leaguer.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Jordan Clarkson: key player for the #1 team in WCF

Jordan Clarkson: key play on a Jazz team a few games away from WCF.

Jordan Clarkson: Still in the NBA and thriving 6 years since his Lakers days.

Jordan Clarkson: If he were to be a NBA free agent, teams would be looking to sign him up.

Meanwhile, Airemy Lin, bounced around the league in his search to find the starting spot he lost to Pat. No NBA team wants him as a free agent (in two separate off-seasons) nad has been out of the league and banished into the Chinese league.

Yeah, I guess there is still left to debate as to which player ended up being better lol.

lol @ using starter numbers to make a case for Airemy. Clarkson would have smashed Airemy's starting games stats had he decided to start for crappy teams. Instead he is contributing on a contender and winning 6th man awards.

I told you guys Jordan Clarkson is going to be a better basketball player and besides the basketball aspects, one of the biggest reasons for that is that unlike Airemy he is not a mental midget. Jordan Clarkson is fearless.

Poor Filipino got attacked by Airemy fans during his Lakers days and now is being looked over/marginalized despite his success.

#784 Zboy, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I guess I'll have to take your word for it. I doubt you'd go spam all of the Premier League messageboards telling them their fans are bad and Son Heung Min needs all the playing time or the coach should be fired, or spamming constant irrelevant racial stuff and finding things to be offended about. ;)

It's one thing to cheer & support, it's another to do... whatever Jeremy Lin fans were doing.

Milk Haiir and RedRedemption like this.
  6. VanityHalfBlack

The only comparison for Clarkson and Lin is that they are both Asian American. Lin is not even close to Clarkson skill level. He would get smoked one on one easily.

Zboy likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not wanting to sound like a Know-it-all but I remembered he wasn't born and bred in Germany, rather moved there when he was a teen.

He is like the No 1 guy in Asia so I guess we all watched him.

Everyone wanted to have an Asian Messi or Asian CR7 and he came close to Cristiano.

RedRedemption likes this.
  8. RedRedemption

Oops. You're right. I thought otherwise.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. RedRedemption

I can definitely say there are similar elements of Japanese and Korean culture to "save face". But from personal experience it's a lot more rabid from the Chinese and somewhat more organized (since the Chinese govt. More or less encourages this)

Korean netizen culture is also pretty bad sadly.

napalm06 likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt they do with Jeremy and tell the people to go on CF and spam it like crazy.

After all he is still an American. After all CF is famous but not world renowned.

I think there are definitely Chinese bots on Twitter and social media to do their bidding.

I can only speak from my own experience, I fight on Sina and Tencent all the time.

It's their style to make everything bad, but their biggest target is mostly the Chinese Men national team, more soccer than bball.

11. tksense

tksense Member

Don't think Son ever got German nationality? Why would he, he plays for the Korean national team.

12. RedRedemption

Yeah I was mistaken. Thought he was German born and raised for some reason.

13. riko

riko Member

Jeremy had a nice little career for a marginal role player with not a lot of basketball IQ and talent.

tinman likes this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

You are on a roll!

It is laughable to say its debatable who's better lol

15. foh

foh Member

Passing a belittling judgement on someone who at one point was a mega star, made millions and seems to find joy in what he does?

Why not let the guy go already.

Sorry if the above is a reply to someone on my ignore list who perhaps was calling Jeremy Lin a GOAT.

16. riko

riko Member

Mega star? lol hahaha lin fans are the best. I didn’t bump this thread . Infact I complemented him . I said for a guy with very little talent and no basketball IQ he had a nice career

17. yoeddy

Good thing for Lin and many other players that basketball is a team sport and not a one on one sport. Particularly important for point guards. Clarkson’s skill set and athleticism would have him beating a lot of players one one, like Dragic, Lowry, CP3, etc.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  18. yoeddy

Seems like most of his coaches disagree with you about his basketball IQ. Usually when a player doesn’t have the skill levels of a Clarkson but still manage to have a nice little career, it’s usually their basketball IQ and hard work that gets them there.

19. riko

riko Member

A lot of low IQ players stay in the nba for a time due to their athletic ability like lin had. He was pretty athletic guard . Then once injuries takes that athletic ability away it’s good night Irene. See lin after his last injury.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

lol @ thinking Airemy was an IQ player.

He was a low IQ, mental midget with poor ball handling skills.

Which is why he was a liability at PG position.

Which is also why he is out of the league.