1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin as a Pekin Duck

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mig0s, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

jerry finna go into broadcasting? he should be well spoken from all that harvard time

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Back when Airemy was airballing for the Lakers, I remember his fans used to hate on Clarkson (and everyone else for that matter lol).

Back then I told you guys that the real Asian hero is Jordan Clarkson, not Airemy, and to keep an eye on his development.

Fast forward to today:

Clarkson is playing great ball in the NBA playoffs for Jazz.

Airemy is not even in the league and is going back to Pickling Ducks, a team he tried to run away from.

Why is the Asian community not acknowledging Clarkson's success?

Why the hate towards the Filipino brother??

napalm06 likes this.
  3. jayland

jayland Member

Why can't this thread die like Jeremy Lin's basketball career? :(

foh and i3artow i3aller like this.
  4. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Clarkson is not an "Asian hero", he is part Asian-American.

Clarkson is a much better player now than he was 6 years ago when he was a rookie with the Lakers.

Clarkson is only half-Filipino and does not physically appear to be Asian, nor does he have a recognizably-Filipino last name, so there is likely a large portion of the population who do not know that Clarkson is part Asian or do not think of him as Asian-American. This is similar to the way that the vast majority of Americans do not realize that Tiger Woods and Eddie Van Halen are half Asian.

5. i3artow i3aller

WHy is this dude still relevant?

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The marginalization of Jordan Clarkson, an actual accomplished Asian baller, by the Asian community needs to stop just because he is part African American and part Filipino!

That's racism!

7. yoeddy

You're trying too hard...

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A normal Filipino name is also not really theirs, it's a Spanish name while they speak Tagalog and English.

A colonized name.

Tiger Woods does have Asian facial features. So does Eddie probably.

But I agree that Clarkson looks the least Asian out of those 3.

9. yoeddy

Yep, agree. There are some Filipino names that are not Spanish (eg. Salonga, Pacquiao), but the most common names in the Philippines are Spanish. Even so, "Clarkson" is not recognizably Filipino, either as a native name or colonized Spanish name.

IMHO, Eddie doesn't have significant Asian facial features, but his brother Alex does.I agree that Tiger does, but you only notice them if you are looking (and you have familiarity with Thai features).

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thing is I do not follow Clarkson. He has to identify himself with this matter.

If he feels Asian, he will put word out there. I think we fans shouldn't worry about that.

I only know that their soccer team called Azkals consists of only mixed bloods, it helps them but they are nowhere at the top level.

Bruno Mars looks very Pinoy.

#770 daywalker02, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  11. yoeddy

It's up to the fans to decide whether or not they identify with a player and if the player's story and/or heritage resonates with them.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Excuses to marginalize a successful Filipino by Asians!

Disgraceful

But but he doesn't look Asian lol

But but he is Asian!

And unlike Airmey, actually a good baller!

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  13. VanityHalfBlack

I kinda want to hate on this but a job is a job. Get that money, beats working at Mcdonalds is all I'm sayin. Wish he was in the NBA cause this whole season has been so dreadful in the chats. I need my Lin comedy back asap.

BigShasta likes this.
  14. VanityHalfBlack

Yes Clarkson reps Asians (Filipino) He even helped clean up the graffiti on the Fusion truck. Not sure why I haven't seen that story posted in Clutchfans. Where my Filipino's at in the chats? I Know we got some in here.

clutchdabear and Zboy like this.
  15. VanityHalfBlack

YO wtf, H.E.R is half asian? I ain't know about this. H.E.R is one of the top artists in the world. I learn something new everyday.

bcast89 likes this.
  16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

bcast89 and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  17. yoeddy

I definitely appreciate your effort to try to make this a "thing"...good job!

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

In other words, confirming what the rest of us have known since day 1 all of those fateful years ago:

"we only care about Jeremy for his looks, and even though he is American we want to co-opt him into our society so that our entire culture can live vicariously through him and feel some kind of bizarre validation that causes the Chinese hivemind to take over entire webpages with irrational thoughts and arguments"

(btw let's not drag all of Asia into this. I don't see Koreans, Japanese, etc acting bizarrely because a man with Asiatic eyes is bouncing an orange ball on TV)

Zboy likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They didn't bizarrely but there is for sure a frenzy because of that guy called Hachimura.

I am not sure you can see the Japanese in him but I can. :D:eek:

VanityHalfBlack and yoeddy like this.
  20. yoeddy

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, yes, I absolutely cared about Jeremy for his looks as it related to his ethnicity, especially because he is American. I also cared about his underdog story, and of course his Ivy League background...all things that I found very relatable to my own life. Why is this surprising? The idea of people admiring and supporting successful people of their own ethnic heritage and background is nothing new.

Can you point to something that I've posted about Lin that you believe to be "irrational"?

And no one is dragging any of Asia into this. Lin is Asian-AMERICAN.