1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WC First Round] (4)LA Clippers vs. (5)Dallas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 21, 2021.

?

Clippers vs. Mavs

Poll closed May 22, 2021.
  1. Clippers in 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Clippers in 5

26.1%
  3. Clippers in 6

30.4%
  4. Clippers in 7

17.4%
  5. Mavs in 7

13.0%
  6. Mavs in 6

8.7%
  7. Mavs in 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Mavs in 4

4.3%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

#741 J.R., Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I definitely think the chances Luka leaves Dallas is very small, due to rookie contract structure and Dallas's overwhelming motivation to keep him. To become a FA after his rookie deal, Luka has to traverse a course very rarely done by other stars. It's not impossible, just risky and costly for one year, since he'd have to play for the one year qualifying offer instead of a max salary he'd get in RFA.

I've seen similar arguments about Luka's usage/ball dominance and agree its a good one. Luka's control of the ball is the highest in the league. Only Harden, Westbrook, Wall and Trae have had seasons with the same level of ball dominance (9+ minutes time of poss per game). For reference over the years Curry, Lebron and Joker is around 5 to 6 minutes.

intuitively it makes a ton of sense, let your best player decide/control as many possessions as possible. but does that ball dominance limit the growth and abilities of their teammates and of the unit as a whole (sum of parts idiom). Furthermore does that strategy face limitations in the playoffs due to increase effort, fatigue and opponent game planning. It's an interesting question, but since this type of singlular player offense is pretty rare and with too many varying factors to analyze, I doubt there will be any consensus on an answer.

3. dmoneybangbang

Over the 7 games series? No. Did he close it out by being the best player? Yes.

Kawhi didn't start playing a high level of defense on Luka until the Clippers they tried everything else first.

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Kristaps wasn't much of a factor in the postseason, whether that was more due to Luka, Carlise or himself is TBD.

But the criticisms from the public and media is excessive now. I just saw someone on twitter post his season stats and it isn't that bad.

20 points 9 rebs on 58% TS ( 37% from three ) in 30 minutes isn't great for a max player, but its not terrible either.

The defense and injury issues are definitely a problem, but he is still young and his game can still improve. Mavs need to work on his post game, pnr game, screening and somehow improve the on court chemistry with Luka because they might just be stuck together for a while.

5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

lol at the replies

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't mean any of what I said to come off as critical about Luka. He's great.

7. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

He has relegated Porzingis into a role player. The offense is all about Luka and if he does pass it’s hardly to Porzingis.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Cuban hasn't spend a dollar on luxury tax since 2011. I wish Dallas had an owner like Ballmer...

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

He got abused by Luka in G2 and not seen again since.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I am pretty sure I watched Lord Beverley play tonight in the second round while the other dude is back in some Euro village herding sheep.

Har har

12. H.D.

H.D. Member

Cuban is actually a nasty guy ideologically and loves him some white guys- Luke goes nowhere.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

when is game 8?

B-Bob likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Why ask if you gonna miss the game anyway?
    hahahahahahah!

Jontro and J.R. like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

none of the TX teams have an easy time attracting free agents despite all 3 being historically good organizations in a state with warm weather and no income tax…Houston and Dallas are also major cities

Spurs did get Aldridge, but for the most part, no one is going there

Dallas is well run, has a rich owner, has Carlisle, and still gets curved time and time again

Rockets get no one unless there’s already another star that was drafted or traded for on the roster

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I've been thinking this too. Each basically patches over the others flaws and weaknesses. The biggest issue though is how to afford it, and second if Giannis also forces a trade from Milwaukee if it creates even more NBA backlash against stars teaming up and everything.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

i would still be interested to know if we won

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

HAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

Jontro likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Report: Haralabos Voulgaris Has Become Most Influential Voice For Mavericks

Haralabos Voulgaris has become the most influential voice within the Dallas Mavericks since he was hired in 2018 with a title of director of quantitative research and development, according to reporting from The Athletic.

Voulgaris has either initiated or approved virtually every transaction made over the past two seasons and he has frequently gone as far as scripting the starting lineups and rotations for Rick Carlisle.

Mark Cuban had sought out Voulgaris’ basketball advice in the years before putting him on the team’s payroll.

As one team source says, “Mark Cuban is the most powerful person in the organization, but whoever he’s listening to is second.”

Luka Doncic and Voulgaris have had a strained relationship during their time together with the Mavericks.

When reached for comment on Monday, Cuban defended Voulgaris’ involvement. “I really like what Bob brings to the table. He does a great job of supporting Rick and the front office with unique data insights.”

Cuban added: “Bob has a great grasp of AI and the opportunities it create for gaining an advantage. Which is important to me. But he isn’t any more influential than any other data source on the team.”

#760 J.R., Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.