1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Censorship from governmental actors thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, May 28, 2021.

?

Who does it better?

1. Sweet Lou 42

40.0%
  2. tinman

60.0%
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

99ers rule,
    we all know that

it's like @pgabriel > Jaggy

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Supreme Court ruled in favor of the profane cheerleader today in a victory for free speech:

"Supreme Court sides with high school cheerleader in free-speech dispute over profane Snapchat rant"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...b905ba-d42a-11eb-a53a-3b5450fdca7a_story.html

excerpt:

The Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled for a Pennsylvania cheerleader whose profane off-campus rant cost her a spot on the squad, saying the First Amendment rights of public school students are not to be easily cast aside.

The court ruled 8 to 1 that the school district’s punishment was too severe, although it declined to adopt a broader rule saying schools never have a role in disciplining students for off-campus speech.

“It might be tempting to dismiss B.L.’s words as unworthy of the robust First Amendment protections discussed herein,” Justice Stephen G. Breyer wrote in his 11-page majority opinion, using the initials of the minor in question.

“But sometimes it is necessary to protect the superfluous in order to preserve the necessary,” he wrote.

The short opinion, with Justice Clarence Thomas as the lone dissenter, was the court’s latest attempt to clarify the free-speech rights of the nation’s 50 million public school students, and a rare win for student speech.
    more at the link

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Cig was banned and I doubt we now think that was a bad move although “free speech” to make money at the expense of society’s health was disallowed. Choice for non adult was also removed but not choice for adult. The author is aware of this but chooses to not tackle it given how similar the ban of junk food in UK is to the ban of cig years ago. I judge his opinion piece very weak for not doing so.

Banning things that are positively negative to society with good strong supporting facts and evidences isn’t only something that should be considered but likely is a plus.

I recently listened to a hidden brain podcast that talk about impact of ads. One example was “junk” food adv as healthy food to kids have a lasting impact even once they are adult and aware of the false adv. Frankly and sadly we can’t control our mind impacted by ads as much as we think we could.

Some countries has now banned these ads to kids.

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that's a good point, but there is also a big difference between cigarettes and "junk" food, no? "Cigarettes" is a much narrower class than junk food, with clearer and more readily identifiable harms resulting from their use than most forms of junk food.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

yes, agree… it’s need to be narrow with good facts and evidence to back it up. A general label is too broad and can risk unintended consequences

Edit: in the Uk case, their aim is category of food that causes obesity (salt probably is more related to heart health) - high sugar, fat, salt, with certain exceptions. We do have strong evidences that they cause health problems.

#30 Amiga, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I was thinking of an example--someone might consider the beef jerky that is commonly found in convenience stores to be "junk food," whereas someone who is a diabetic might consciously make the choice to consume that jerky over potato chips, donuts, or the like. I think Turley's point about the nanny state is still solid, even though I agree with you that junk food can be harmful. I don't think Turley himself denies that. I think he is critical of government paternalism in matters of individual choice and personal freedoms.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

But individual choice and personal freedom aren’t impacted. You don’t have a choice or freedom to be bombarded with ads (that’s up to the advertiser). You do still have a choice to consume junk foods. What’s impacted is the “free speech” of companies to make money / ads at certain time (aimed at kids).

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

virtually everything can be harmful in some way . . . car accidents, swimming pool drownings, electrocution from electrical appliances. Would we ban all advertising, you know, "for the children?" I'm only being partly facetious here, but where does government paternalism end when it comes to banning advertising?

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

common and reasonable sense backup with data, like with cig smoking and ads /selling to children

you don't ban something that's 10% harmful, but if it's 100% or 90% or something consistent and very risky... like again, cig smoking

and remember again, the UK law doesn't ban the actual product, but the right of companies to ads at certain time (to kids)

Os Trigonum likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Turley seems to be a fan of unlimited free speech by companies even if there are solid evidences that it's harmful to children. But what does he think about free speech of teachers when there are no such evidences and in fact, suppressing how teacher talk can be harmful to children?

How should Texas students learn about race and racism in school? | The Texas Tribune

House Bill 3979 restricts how teachers can talk about race and current events in public schools.

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

yes, Turley is most definitely a free speech advocate. he has also consistently argued against political intrusions into curriculum issues in public schools, e.g., https://jonathanturley.org/2017/01/...g-high-school-teachers-how-to-spot-fake-news/

So presumably he would also be skeptical about the Texas efforts as described

Amiga likes this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't see a connection to free speech there.

Not allowed to do something is very different from requiring to do something. In education, the danger there (of requiring to do) isn’t at all about free speech but potential propaganda. In this case, it very much can be a valuable tool - simply teaching kids to be critical consumers of news, a skill set that I think is very important in an era of plenty of bad/fake news. The trick is to make sure it's not gov-sponsored propaganda within the curriculum - but again, that's a very different topic than free speech.

When I see Turley equally address free speech, no matter who sponsor the anti-free speech, then I see him as credible. He used to be like that, but something change recently.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

??

I have long been a critic of politician interfering with curricular issues in our schools. Most of us do not look to politicians as paragons of knowledge. Assemblyman Jimmy Gomez personifies the perils of politicians dictating course choices. Gomez is pushing for a course on to teach students who to avoid fake news. It is part of a new trend around the world to rally people against the scourge of “fake news” — a trend that is already been used as a rationale for censorship and the criminalization of speech. Fake news is now the rallying cry for people who disagree with coverage and is used as a way to avoid answering questions. What one person consider fake news and other considers real news can be highly subjective. The most recent controversy reveals the difficult lines to draw.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't the connection to free speech.

If I read between the line, the connection is Turley fear that somehow Student learns to use their "rational" for self-censorship (or maybe to support anti-free speech)??? But that's not suppression of free speech, that's free thoughts.

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I think the key line is "What one person consider fake news and other considers real news can be highly subjective." As Turley suggests, one person's "fake news" is another person's speculative hypothesis--think of the Wuhan lab theory story of how the covid virus got released. A course built upon the idea of "spotting fake news" might just dogmatically go with the consensus (the way the legacy media did last year) and simply dismiss a story like that as "fake news," rather than a more sophisticated analytical model of trying to play devil's advocate and tease apart pros and cons of a "news" story. I think the risk to free speech here is the rather predictable tendency of "curriculum experts" (none of whom tend to be "expert" in anything else) to establish what counts and what doesn't count as "real news" versus "fake news." Again, if one has faith in the marketplace of ideas, and also faith in teachers to navigate these waters sensitively on their own without the invisible hand of curriculum experts dictating their every move, then I think we could probably safely do without the heavy-handed top-down curriculum design mandates (however well intended they might be) coming from above (e.g., in the Jimmy Gomez example above).