1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Critical Race Theory.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Say bro if you're gonna reference me be a man and alert me. I didn't say the **** you are attributing to me in this post so thats really b**** made not to alert me

As far as your quote, what lies are taught in history class?

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Aren't you a potty mouth now comrade

LMAO

Rocket River

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

when it comes to race, they never can keep the act up for very long

mdrowe00 and Ziggy like this.
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Actually, you can find what it says here: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/09/28/2020-21534/combating-race-and-sex-stereotyping

I think its main flaw is that it mischaracterizes and straw-mans the "CRT" argument (in quotes because I don't like the label) to be teaching something akin to black supremacy, and then instructs the federal agencies to interpret the trainings of their agencies through this lens. Your bulleted list is pulled form the Sec2.a, "Divisive Comments". Given this EO, I think it'd be hard to teach concepts of systemic racism, unconscious bias, or affirmative action without running the risk of sanction by higher-ups.

For example, if a training were to point out that a black family couldn't acquire real estate eighty years ago because of redlining that could be the basis of intergenerational wealth while a white family could and has benefited from that and that advantage could have since snowballed into more benefits in education and wealth, that could be interpreted as skating close to the line of Sec 2.a.2 that the US is fundamentally racist because it has allowed the effects of systemic racism to echo through the economy, 2.a.3 that the white family is unconsciously contributing to systemic racism, or 2.a.9 that the white family didn't really achieve their wealth solely with hard work and merit but by historical systemic racism. That past racist policies are still having intergenerational impacts on family wealth is obviously true, but it would be dangerous for a federal agency to say it with this EO in place. They could of course argue that this training doesn't run afoul of the rule, but per the old adage - 'if you're arguing, you're losing.'

I'd also point out Section 2.b:

So if I were to say in a government training that white people benefit from intergenerational wealth, or are psychologically ascribed more status or respect, I would be 'race stereotyping.' An EO that says agencies can't say things that are demonstrably true and proven in studies is a problem.

foh, jchu14 and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"Activist Judges" = judges who make decisions that right wingers don't like
    "Federalism" = rejecting federal authority in favor of state authority, but only for policies that right wingers don't like
    "Fiscally conservative" = only spend money and run deficits on things that right wingers like
    "CRT, 1619 Project" = talking about slavery or racism in a way that right wingers don't like

None of these things actually mean what they would common-sense mean - the Fox News Extended Universe epistemology revels in this kind of doublespeak, but obviously it predates that.

There is of course one thread that ties all of it together though.

mdrowe00, jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

edit

#190 MojoMan, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  11. JuanValdez

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

13. JuanValdez

Not trying to besmirch them as academics. Just pointing out they look like active alt-right propagandists given what I find with a 2 minute google search. Which makes sense given how propagandy the infographic is.

You might read me repeat something here that sounds eerily similar to what some anti-racist propagandist might have espoused. But I don't deliver their articles, memes, and infographics here in full form. I don't understand why some posters just want to be conduits to magnify what some other guy is saying instead of sharing what they themselves believe.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Because you say so?

LOL.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Legitimate at what? Creating a strawman infographic of ideas they disagree with?

No Worries likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Gilley's schtick appears to be defending colonialism and them claiming cancel culture when people disagree with his writings. The three appear to focus on the right wing opposition to "woke."

No Worries, jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. fchowd0311

Oh so that's how he is legitimate as OS says.

Is that what you mean by legitimate OS?

London'sBurning likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

Imagine being over 40 and centering your career around combating "wokeness" like a 15 year old red pilled incel addicted to right wing YouTube gaming channels. Legit.

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rando professors who tweet a lot and call themselves "IDW" and "redpillers" to earn extra money on the side.

London'sBurning and fchowd0311 like this.