1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Ben goes 3/10 from the Free Throw line and they lose Game 1 by 4 points. The only reason I wanted Simmons was to flip him for more later, but who knows what we would have got. He is definitely not the guy I would want. I can see Morey trying very hard to move him this off season. I can see him being moved for Dame.

Ben has been awful from the line all playoffs, unreal that your center can go 14/15 from the line while the PG is shooting 30% from the line.

tycoonchip and BigShasta like this.
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Ben Simmons is just a pick setter in a half court offense.

He can go Head of steam to the hoop on semi transitions and fast breaks. Other than that zero offense

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

]
    To me it comes down to the draft compensation. What was it? Was it better than 4 picks and 4 swaps plus Simmons. No guarantee you could flip Simmons for anything great since he can’t shoot. Thybuille is ok, but not really a difference maker in my opinion. If it was Simmons, thybuille, maxey and 3 firsts and 3 swaps then yes. If it was Simmons, thybuille and two firsts as reported then we got a better deal with the Nets.

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Reading this thread made me remember when everyone here and on twitter was killing that NETS reporter/media guy for tweeting that he had sources/heard that Harden trade to Nets was a done deal like the very first week the trade demand was leaking out.

still surprises me he was right. Initially, everyone thought the Nets package was garbage.

totally forgot who he was lol.

5. hakeemthagreat

I'd like to know how you think Ben "Cornerstone" Simmons did last game against Philly. Virtually everything I said months ago is happening. Teams are daring him to shoot, he's missing ft's and becoming unplayable in the 4th quarter. This is who you wanted to build around after Harden? Is Daryl Morey paying you to post that?

REEKO_HTOWN and Denovo like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

You crawl out from under your rock everytime Simmons has a bad game.

Yet, 6ers are still in playoffs while Herro is sitting on his ass.

You are an embarrassment of a poster.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  7. hakeemthagreat

Bad game? He's been disappointing all playoffs lol. Isn’t this the same guy you wanted to build a franchise around?

Denovo likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Keep comparing Chuck Hayes to Ben Simmons. :rolleyes:o_O

It's well known that you are the village idiot on CF.

Now we know you're a masochist as well.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You've been on an insult tantum on the board lately. Things ok at home?

Milos and Houston77 like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Things are great, thanks for asking.

But if you mess with the bull, you get the horns.

11. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Simmons had a triple single today.

BallaDoc likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

Can't we all be friends

13. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

For real. I’m tired of hearing about how Ben Simmons is supposed to be this amazing player. He is what he is a solid defender who can make plays in transition. That’s it. When ATL brought the game back and tied it up. Ben was MIA. He literally didn’t set up any offense or contribute anything in the halfcourt. He made one simple pass ahead to thybulle that the comentatorssalivated over. But before then? Nothing no PNR no short roll no setting up the offense. When they looked dead shake was the one hitting threes to bring them back. Curry was initiating the half court to start. He’s A great defender but they can neutralize him effectively by using his mark as a decoy. And then he’s completely out of the action. Not worth a max contract if you don’t have your cornerstone offensive superstar already on the team. If I were philly I’d be kicking myself for not matching the Nets package.

REEKO_HTOWN, Denovo and ashleyem like this.
  14. hakeemthagreat

Ok you're trollin lol

All that childish name calling won't change the fact your basketball opinion is trash. You spent TONS of post saying the Rockets organization is dumb for not trading James Harden for Ben Simmons, hyping Simmons up to be something he is not. We told you Simmons is fools gold and you attacked us. Now that he's being exposed you're back to trollin. You can't even defend your dumb azz position

15. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

This is why I was always dead set on the Nets deal immediately after the season when everyone knew Harden was gone. Simmons is mentioned in trade talks but we never hear what packages he gets you. I just wish the stupid Rockets FO had done it sooner when it would have been LeVert, Dinwiddie, Allen, and the picks and we could have involved Tuckwagon. I believe a lot of the problems came from the Silas and FO view of a Wall centric team and reload rather than a rebuild. They needed max talent and return from that deal and KNEW it meant breaking the team up and many more deals. If they just would have resigned to that rather than the STREAK things may be different. People act like the one trade was THE TRADE. Once Harden was gone this always meant breaking up the team because it was built around Harden. I kept hearing all this BS about being careful with chemistry and having to play along because Boogie is friends with Wall crap. We still haven't bottomed out until we move Wall and EGo but need to be deliberate about it now so we get our lotto pick next year and have the ability to collect assets. Some teams that tank and collect, OKC, very smart, we dumb as ****. Ferntits and his brilliant CP3 trade. MFer.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  16. DonatelloLimestone

Its really about assets.
    The picks we got from Milwaulkee are obviously late first round, the picks in the nets first half are fore sure late first round and we're just hoping in a few yers they implode. It could happen, but nothing certain at this point.

Then theres also repackaging those assets for other big trades and thats a possiblity. All in all, it makes sense if we're rebuilding to utilize the picks to turn to the right pieces for a new foundation.

And thats also the case that seems to be overlooked with the simmons deal. How many picks is he worth? You see how we had oladipo, for some reason traded for an expiring with our backs against the wall, but we repackaged him that same year. We could've done the same with Allen adn gotten a better pick, likewise with LEver without the same timeline putting us in a bad position. So with simmons locked up, similarly we had a chance even this summer to flip him for 2 maybe 3 picks. And for sure that team is built for Embiid. You give Simmons a 4 out showcase with an MDA style leash for his pg he is close to a triple double and getting much more space and useage to do what fits him best. Hes a controversial pick bc of his glaring flaw, but we can't overlook why he is considered elite both is athleticism, defense, adn ability to create.... So lets be conservative and call it two picks.

Then Thybulle who is also at a young age on his rookie contract and elite defender with a chance to better his shot to be a valuable 3/d. He can get a first ronder at his age and his fit for so many winnign teams. Maxey also was a lotterey level pick, a young talent with a lot of potential and showing flashes whenever he gets a chance at philly at under 21 years old ,arguable he can get a pick especially a late pick like we got in the other deal.
    Thats3-5 picks right there then on top of one or 2 they would offer us

In our situation we have to play chess, think of pieces a head and thats the argument for the nets pick too. IT MAY allow us to do that, it may amount to just mediocrity and for one of the greats in harden, its tough to swallow although we didn't have leverage its argued we can do better than we did. Perhaps before the season when the heat wasn't there, but we tried to 'make it uncomfortable' and ruined our rep with agents while doing that. On oppose to JJ Watt another high performing houston legend who didn't win the chip, but really brought it on the field. He wanted out, never got the same crap as harden, because he saw their ownership was incomeptent and making bad decision, but they honored him and let him go out of some respect. We went and 'leaked' a barage of negative info on harden while also saying we're still offering him 100 million to stayo_O stars all around the league looking at how he was treated while we cut roster spots and staff during his prime and are thinking...the rockets are no longer clutch city, they are the Landry's Rockets now

HP3 likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

Anyone look at how good off a GM Sean Marks is and then realize how stupid this Brooklyn trade was.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

19. DonatelloLimestone

"
    In spite of that, we’ve heard takes that the Rockets passed on both players simply for financial reasons. Case in point, ESPN senior writer Tim Bontemps, who made comments about Fertitta on ESPN’s Brian Windhorst and the Hoop Collective podcast.

“Let’s just talk plainly. They were going to have to pay them. They didn’t want to pay them.

Let’s just call it for what it is. They specifically targeted players and assets that wouldn’t cost them any money next year

hope that doesn't mean we plan to ignore kelly in the FA

20. HardenVolumeOne

oladipo, olynk, bradley, exum.. all EXPIRING CONTRACTS

D-rock likes this.