1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021 NFL Draft] 3rd Rd Texans Select Davis Mills QB Stanford

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Apr 30, 2021.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is what I’m hoping/banking on. He has a strong pedigree, we’ll see if it translates in the big leagues.

Roc Paint likes this.
  2. ballgame

ballgame Member

I don't want him to fail. I hope he succeeds, just like I hope DW4 comes out this situation ok and be able to play at some point.

I just think they have similarities in their skill set but only time will tell.

Cstyle42 and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Well let's hope Culley doesn't completely mismanage Mills like BoB did with Savage. Don't forget BoB ended Savage's sophomore season even though he was only expected to miss 4-6 weeks. Then there was the concussion debacle in 2016, naming him the starter only to bench him after one half of football into 2017, followed by an even more ridiculous concussion debacle to end his tenure here.

Not saying he would've panned out under anyone else but QB management under BoB was a complete $hitshow until DW4 came along, and BoB still wasn't able to get out of his own way.

JamesC, conquistador#11 and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

There are so many things intangible and tangible that go into being a good QB. Gotta be smart, confident, a leader, accurate arm, strong arm, good footwork, throw with anticipation, good decision making, pocket presence, rapport with receivers, decent athleticism...and more.

Someone like Mahomes has all of the above. All foolishness aside Deshaun had most of the above...hopefully Mills does as well and can be a long term starter for the Texans.

ROXRAN and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. raining threes

I was just replying and asking questions that need to be asked.

What would you likethe title of said thread to be named?

6. raining threes

Agreed until the last paragraph.

BOB never had a QB worth his weight to work with before the Pervert.

7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. gucci888

Mismanaged nonetheless. Injuries were part of the issue but I’m pretty sure BoB handpicked all of his QBs.

9. gucci888

BossHogg713 likes this.
  10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I just don't see the Savage comparison. Savage bounced around colleges, had a gap and was immobile. He had a good arm and I was rooting for him because of his story, but in the end he was terrible at processing info and trying to adjust to the pro game. From what we see of Mills at Stanford he doesn't have those issues. He struggles with consistency, which could be related to just not enough reps against different looks. He's got athleticism that poor Tom just didn't have. The HS ratings comparison was to help illustrate the pedigree that Mills displayed at the first stage evaluations. Doesn't make him a good pro, but he was Top 10 player and #1 at QB.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Drafting Mills is similar to Rockets fans getting excited about Luther Head.

12. raining threes

Track record looks like RS picked them.

Or rather neglected them.

BO and the Pervert were RS QB choices.

Dont take this as defending BOB.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

A poster who supposedly abandoned ship noticed they were both white. I think that’s as deep as it goes.

14. gucci888

Ya as players, it’s not a good comparison. But as mid-round picks, the chances of him being a quality starter are very slim. Can’t speak for the OP that brought up Savage but maybe that’s what he’s referring to. With the HS rankings, I’d go back and look at Rivals top ranked QBs the decade or so before Mills. The rankings are very little indication, if any, of how they'll pan out not just as a pro, but even as a quality player in college. Not trying to knock on Mills at all, personally think it’s just best to temper expectations.

15. gucci888

Sorry I meant to post that BoB handpicked his QBs except for DW4, you are right in this regard. And from what was reported, Brock was Bob McNair's choice. Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, Mallett were all handpicked by BoB IMO which is why McNair/RS had to step back in. Hence the drama between BoB/RS.

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

While I agree its prudent to temper expectations for anyone on this team, as fans we have to get excited about something or why be a fan?

Personally I'm excited to see...
    • How our OL rounds out with Campen
    • Lindsay at RB1
    • If Warring brings anything this year
    • What we have in Nico Collins
    • How will the 4-3 Defense look, after years in a 3-4
    • And if Davis Mills gets to play and shows potential as a big league QB

17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Great points on what to see and I agree, in particular I’m starting to really see how the 3-4 is simply a complicated answer to what the 4-3 front is and sometimes more complicated simply slows down timing

Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. gucci888

Fair enough. Most intrigued in seeing how Culley operates. W/L doesn't mean that much to me given the makeup of the roster but he has got to show that he is at least competent to run a team. As bad as things are right now, things could get far worse if Culley looks clueless on the sideline come Sept.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Or how great tom savage looked in practice

BossHogg713 likes this.
  20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it will be interesting to see DC in action. I have a feeling he'll be buoyed by his veteran staff and will have more focus on game situations than BOB had. However, its his first experience in the hot seat, so we'll get to see him in action.