1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where would KPjr go in this draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 6, 2021.

?

Where would KPjr go in this draft?

1. 1

2. 2

3. 3

4. 4

5. 5

6. 6

7. 7

8. 8

9. 9 -11

10. 12-14

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ballgame

ballgame Member

We know KPJ would've been Top 5!

But I think a BETTER QUESTION would be, where would KMJ go in this draft??

He was a UDFA and I thought he had a Rookie yr of a #1 Draft pick!

#21 ballgame, Jun 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  2. DJ

DJ Member

Start a poll

3. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Great post, interesting to think about.

KPJ was considered lottery level talent who slipped to end of the first on character/maturity issues. From my perspective, he’s really proven both of those things to be true in his first two seasons. He has shown he is very talented, with high potential as a scorer and creator at the NBA level. He has also confirmed concerns about his maturity were warranted, having been essentially kicked off a team for an unprofessional outburst.

If scouts knew both of those things before his draft, would he have gone meaningfully higher or lower than late first? Keep in mind, the market valued him at an almost worthless 2nd round pick four months ago, and that was after people already knew the guy could play. Based on what he showed in this past partial season, I think you could make the arguement NBA teams would value talent more than they devalue red flags, so he may have gone somewhat earlier than 30th, but I think the ranges offered are probably too high.

Caesar and Plowman like this.
  4. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like this take and agree with mostly what you've written. However, I will disagree on the most important part.

KPJ displayed starter level talent while he was in Cleveland and displayed at least all-star potential (if not possible superstar level potential) in Houston. He most likely won't be a superstar, but we witnessed someone that can possibly carry a team. When you have this level of potential talent, he goes way higher than 30.

Plowman likes this.
  5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'd assume at 21 he wouldn't go ahead of the top 5 freshmen given how much younger they are. if he didn't have NBA experience yet he wouldn't be as good as he is right now either, plus you have to factor in how the off court issues from his past affect his stock. I think its fair to say 6-10 range.

point taken though. even if we hand our pick over to the thunder we still start next year with KPJ as a lotto type talent. this is why I think we should offer the NTMLE to Horton tucker. that price is only slightly higher than what he'd make as an early lotto pick. we'd have to overpay to steal him away, but at 20 years old he's another 6-10 pick in this years draft.

with or without our own pick, starting next year with both of those guys is great young potential. not to mention I think they would fit together really nicely.

Plowman and raining threes like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think you people are nuts lol

There's 2 ways this could be asked

Where would KPJ be taken if he was magically born 2 years later and came out of college in 2021

or

What's the highest pick we could trade KPJ for in the upcoming draft as our 21-year-old player coming into his 3rd NBA season

If it's the first question, I think early 2nd. This draft is deeper than the 2019 draft, in which he was taken 30th.

If we're asking the 2nd question, I say late 1st, maybe early 2nd

If you guys really think a team would trade us the #1 pick for him, or even a lotto, I (no offense) think your smoking dick. If you think he'd be a lotto or top 5 or #1 if he came out of college this year then I again (no offense) think your smoking dick.

What everybody made fun of Miami fans doing to Herro, is what Houston fans are doing to KPJ. He was an inefficient scorer last season and a terrible defender, his play-making is solid and he has potential, he is not some guaranteed star. He's 21, he was traded for a to 55 protected 2nd because of his attitude troubles.

#26 ThatBoyNick, Jun 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    Nook likes this.
  7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I think we'll see him pan out to be an elite 6th man or a 3rd/4th option on a title team. Better than Eric Gordon, not quite Ginobili lol

sydmill likes this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You’re entitled to your opinion, but why do you have to be so nasty about it. I don’t think anyone will trade a lottery pick for him, but I have seen enough that I would not except anything less that a top 10 for him and not even sure about that. He has the potential to be a very special player, in my opinion, and I don’t smoke dicks, *******.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I just think it's a funny term to use

Nook likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sorry. I’m getting pretty testy. I like informed debate and have been proven wrong many times on this forum. Just sick of all the race bating, homophobia, and classless off the topic debates going on in the GARM. Tired of it in society as a whole as well.

raining threes, Nook, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

1st.

He average 17 pts, 4 rebs, 6 ast against nba teams.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His issues are still there.....and would effect his position.

Mid to late first round.

DD

13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

KMJ was a Second Round Pick.

It was Sacramento that selected him but Rockets acquired the Pick.

Huge Steal. KMJ can be Robert Horry and Draymond Green.

KMJ does have a High IQ for being so young and already understands his own weaknesses and corrected them within the season.

His 3 Point was shaky. Now his shooting form looks like Klay Thompson and his 3 Pt shooting improved, became even more of a threat on offense. Only 20 years old. Maybe he will grow taller in the off-season hopefully. Play in the Sun, get some Vitamin D.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think late lotto

15. Rockets4Life13

@ThatBoyNick has had an agenda against KPJ since he arrived here and during his time in the G league. Everyone with eyes acknowledges that there are red flags with KPJ But the talent is undeniable.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'd have to say just after the top 8 .... somewhere 9-11.

raining threes likes this.
  17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Let me make sure that I understand. Everyone seems to agree that KPJ had lottery talent but didn't get selected until the final pick of the draft (#30). Why did he fall so far? It was questions about consistency and lack of efficiency along with red flags for character issues. The character issue red flags primarily came due to USC suspending him for 1/3 of the season. I don't believe the reasons for the suspension were ever disclosed other than USC's statement that it was for "personal conduct issues".

Now, two years later he's still inconsistent and still inefficient. Since being drafted he's had a one car accident where he flipped his vehicle and a loaded gun and mar1juana was found in the car. He also posted tweets that caused people to be concerned that he may be suicidal to the extent that the Cleveland GM and coach both immediately checking in on him to make sure that he was ok. Next he was charged with punching a 19 year old girl in the face. I believe those charges are still pending (correct me if I'm wrong). Then came the incident in Cleveland on his first day back with the team. In this case he cursed out the Cavs GM, threw a plate of food and began screaming that it was "modern day slavery" -- all because his locker was moved to make way for a veteran player. Then you have the Sterling Brown strip club incident which caused him to be placed in Covid protocol.

After all of that, you're telling me that a team would draft him with one of the first picks in the draft? That makes no sense. He has way more red flags now than he did coming out of USC. The Rockets got KPJ for basically nothing so it was a smart move to pick him up and give him a chance. I don't see any way that another team would risk a high pick on a guy with what is now a three year track record of red flags.

yixiixiy likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Porter Jr would NOT go #1 in this draft. He is several years older than the other prospects. His off the court issues are serious. He would possibly go late lottery if a team really wanted to roll the dice, but most likely he would go in the 20's because of his age and off the court issues. There is a huge difference between 18 years old and 21 as far as prospect status is concerned.

Also Martin is not ever going to be Draymond Green. He cannot shoot and has some size issues, as well as not having great handles. He is a role player that needs to improve defensively. He would likely go in the 20's in this draft as well.

Porter needs to be viewed as a stock investment with high volatility. He COULD be Apple, but he also could be Enron. I have seen enough to know he will never be the best player on an elite team, but he also clearly has the talent to be in the league for a decade. That is a WIDE gap in the middle where he can fall.

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

As a former Enron employee may I say...OUCH!

yixiixiy, napalm06 and raining threes like this.
  20. raining threes

Cade
    Green
    KPJ

Without the mental issues.

I think KPH can become the 2nd best player on an elite team.

#40 raining threes, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    BamBam and ApacheWarrior like this.