1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Bullard out as Rockets TV Analyst

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 2, 2021.

1. fattz

fattz Member

This 1000 times. Bullard was not renewed it is not like he was fired in the middle of the season. His time is done. I am sure he would have talked about Bill like he does his playing days. I am glad someone had the foresight to nip this before it started. How awkward would that have been for the new play by play person? And to hear it over and over. When the star leaves a show the support doesn’t hang around and reminisce. Bill & Calvin were Rocket Basketball not Bull. Thank you for your service and only the best to you, Bull.

2. fattz

fattz Member

Dream or random thought after reading about JVG. A hybrid reality television show and sports mix. He coaches with a hot mic. Play by play and the coach. I would watch. Maybe a spit screens with coach’s POV and other uncut camera views.

Benefits:

We get to see a game in a completely different way

We watch the game within the game.

We see player development first hand.

We learn the players first hand.

What else can they do for viewership with the roster and current events? The owner becomes cutting edge making about the process not the product.

just random thoughts...

BigShasta likes this.
  3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think some of your expectations for a local broadcasting crew are a little outrageous.

as someone that doesn’t live in Houston, I watch a lot of local broadcasters on league pass and there are some absolute terrible ones. Bull was a nice guy, a former player, and wasn’t annoying. That’s about as much as you can ask for.

4. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Solid basketball take with knowledge of the game. Bill was great at play by play but Bull actually played the game at a high level and gave insight. Announcer contracts end all the time but if you look back it seemed Ackerman was going to replace Bill while Bullard stuck around in a Calvin Murphy role minus the suits. Just hope we don't end up with two guys that absolutely have no clue what Rockets basketball is.

MettaWorldPete and DonKnock like this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

Bullard at half time would be a much better role for him. He was just not a good colour commentator, he was alright, but got annoying with his shtick for foul calls and the past. Maxwell can do that, but with humour, charisma and attitude.

heypartner likes this.
  6. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Good luck to him.

[​IMG]

Ramo$e, DonKnock and conquistador#11 like this.
  7. Big Time Titan

I feel for Matt Bullard good dude but the timing makes sense especially since Bill isn’t gonna be back.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Would love to see JVG on the broadcast crew but not during the Tilman era.

Tilman's BS wouldn't be fair to JVG, who has remained true to Houston and the Rockets.

9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Jeff's price would be too high as well for a local broadcast. I'm sure that ESPN money is nice.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  10. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

None of you guys get attached to speech patterns and sarcasm for the sake of nostalgia? I listen to local broadcast crews for other teams and it becomes apparent to not take Worrell and Bullard for granted. Drexler is alright too most of the time. These other crews are generally not that great in comparison.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I couldn't stand him. He was awful.

But don't wish anyone to lose their job.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

A lot of people might disagree with you on the annoying part.

But yes, you're spot on with the expectations being too high.

My expectations are: as long as its not Reggie Miller.

MettaWorldPete, Rudyc281 and Ramo$e like this.
  13. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Agreed. I didn't mind Bill or Bull. But to be honest, I regularly enjoyed listening to opposing teams broadcasters more than ours. Bull's analysis wasn't great, and his commentary during the game was overused, repetitive, and often boring. I get it's tough to be entertaining when your team is constantly losing, but even then, I can't really get upset by this decision.

14. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Well Tilman's daughter just graduated from USC w a Communications / Journalism degree two days ago, maybe he will continue with the nepotism theme.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

For what it's worth, you can do both. For example, Mark Jones now does PBP for the Kings, but he still works some ESPN broadcasts, as well.

That said, I doubt it happens. Considering AT&T SW was born out of bankruptcy, it's not like they're flush with cash, and JVG probably doesn't want a workload that big. But it is possible, at least in theory.

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Bill Walton and Marv Albert both used to do local broadcasts as well as national, too.

17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I'd rather see him as HC than doing broadcasts. He could do wonders with a roster as green as ours.

Rashmon likes this.
  18. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

LOL, aside from LEGEND Bill, they let go of the only former play that provided value to broadcasts!

You stay classy Houston Rockets!

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I didn't much care for Bullard on the broadcast .... He wasn't terrible but he wasn't great either. He got carried by Worrell ....

They can do better ....

20. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Boring? When? Only announcer to have the BULL balls to call Westbrick , Westbrick! lol

Rudyc281 likes this.