1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Where is......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Jun 3, 2021.

1. ballgame

ballgame Member

If LeBron retired tomorrow where would you rate him? I think he's Top 5 but more like 4 or 5 rather than 1 or 2.

1) MJ- obviously
    2) Kareem - changed the game and 5 rings
    3) Wilt - God like numbers
    4) Kobe- closest to MJ, 5 rings, won 2 himself
    5) LeBron - 4 rings, won at high level
    6) Magic - 5 rings, best PG
    7) Hakeem - won 2 rings by himself, underrated
    8) Bird- 3 rings, awesome score
    9) Russell - 11 rings but era of 8 NBA teams
    10) Duncan- 5 rings, BP in a system

juanm34 likes this.
  2. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Counterpoint: I would argue that last year Lebron had good luck. The long break from the pandemic combined with the shortened season gave him and his oft injured wingman a chance to get healthy and rest up unlike any season of his career. It also didn't hurt that a sub par supporting cast caught absolute fire from three in the bubble.

ApacheWarrior and lakersuck2 like this.
  3. Mattician

Mattician Member

I doubt he leaves LA and doubt he retires before becoming the all time scoring leader. Dude just likes the attention and wants the respect he thinks he deserves.

Hopefully he'll have to settle for winning another ring in one of his new movies.

juanm34 and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It was weird to see him talk about space jam like some sort of hack salesman after the game. Did y’all see that? Someone asked him about the Olympics and he went to a clearly prepped movie spiel... coming in July, etc. very odd.

if Harden quit a fourth quarter and then playfully promoted other products? I mean...

dobro1229 likes this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

This is an excellent point.

I mentioned this last season that the bubble helped LeBron and others
    to avoid travel between cities.

It helped Tyler Herro shoot at the same rims and same backgrounds last playoffs.

I wish you would post more often.

BamBam and mikenm268 like this.
  6. DonatelloLimestone

It always takes good luck to win the ring .Its such a marathon of a gauntlet, as we know so well, its lucky to just be able to stay healthy as it happens each and every year. Let alone shots and bounces go their right way. Luck is a part of it, and doesnt take away from the ring what so ever. The bubble was such a unique situation its always ahrd to tell if it hurts or helps when their routines are so different. That said, I don't think this year sets the precedent. Almost each year, in cluding iwth paul, when they have bad years people go dooms day and say we need to change. Its a natural product of instantaneous emotional responses heightened with teh nba media that needs drama and talking points eachday.

I expect him to prove people wrong. I remember in the days when people said when lebron loses a step at 30 or so that he would be rendered useless. This playoffs showed a slowed down lebron, which is still elite even nba standards, but rely a lot more on the post, low ground game, and more shooting then ever after he rushed back this year. Remember they were close to the no one seed the first half and things derailed. I expect him to rest up and continue to defy next year at 36. Anthony davis has more chronic issues thats more concern especially not contact injuries. But lakers messed around and attracted Montrez andDennis this summer which should've been solid and I think it wouldn't be surprising for them to continue to attract big talent and retool next year.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The first place Lebron is headed is the hair transplant center.

RLP55 likes this.
  8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I can see him still wanting to play and break every all time record, but he is probably ok with the number of rings he has at this point. Winning 4 rings for 3 different franchises is probably enough for him. LA is where he wants to be for his entertainment businesses, it is more likely that guys come to him than he go anywhere. I can see Dame, Curry, even Kawhi there.

dobro1229 likes this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I mean the guy has made it clear he wants to hand the keys to the car to another star for some time.

That’s why AD was such an odd choice to go all in on. I said it before they traded for him that they are crazy. The guy has NEVER shown that he can stay healthy and I knew this would happen and it would burn Lebron out cause AD was always injured.

Lebron will probably need to reduce his salary if he wants to seriously be a #2 or 3 and play longer in the league even in LA. Otherwise I think he’s going to want to hang it up sooner than later when he feels the media narrative turn that he’s done, and he sees his teams compete at a consistently lower and lower level every year.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then I think AD maxed out with 1 or 2 championship at best.

His skillset is good but nothing really mind blowing to me at least.

KG was easily the better player.

11. dobro1229

I don’t think AD will ever win a championship with him as the top paid player or as a foundational piece. He will never last an entire season and postseason. I’ve seen no evidence he has that durability. Durability is an underrated value in the league. That’s why it’s nuts that Harden wasn’t more heavily pursued when he asked for a trade. I think it’s why Dame probably should be at the top of everyone’s list as well. He’s been a very durable player thus far. Also a reason I wouldn’t trade for Embiid at this cost.

ExTexanNowEastCoast likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Durability doesn't do much if you can't get your team over the hump in Damian's case.

13. dobro1229

Well I certainly wouldn’t build around him as the centerpiece because of that, and I don’t think the Rockets should pursue him. That being said I do think the league in general will have a lot of interest in him and he’ll fetch a higher price than most assume since he hasn’t won much.

Teams like Miami and Boston will think highly of their culture and surrounding pieces to assume they are different than Portland. Him being available and durable along with how popular he is around the league and with fans will drive the price through the roof.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is a closer like Kyrie was for Cleveland and maybe a tad better than Kyrie in areas and vice versa.

15. ballgame

ballgame Member

I never thought of that! But, the fact that LeBron didn't play the last two months of the previous season, before they traded for A.D benefited him as well. After he felt he didn't have enough help, he stop playing.