1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden's Brooklyn Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jerryclark, Jan 13, 2021.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing there is no reason for the Bucks to use their trail technique they did when Harden was with the Rockets, correct?

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Box score shows despite putting up 37 11 and 6 he was -5 on the floor with only a 50% TS, shot 34% from the field and committed 5 turnovers to his six assists. This single game isn't the only sample size either.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201901290HOU.html

Here's another match where the Rockets lost to the Pelicans. Harden was -23 from the floor scoring only 18, committing 4 turnovers and shooting only 40% from the field.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201810170HOU.html

In this one, the Rockets won but Harden was -6 and again shot only 40% from the field.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201812290NOP.html

Holiday didn't play in this one where the Rockets won easily and Harden was actually +14 from the field. Holiday impacts how well Harden performs.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201903240NOP.html

3. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

LOL that's still the weirdest defense I've ever seen in the NBA. how Harden did not score 80% to 90% of the time when they employed that is a mystery to me. The defender was literally BEHIND him, leaving everything between the 3 point line and the circle in the paint wide open. I mean Luka/Trae were literally actively TRYING to keep their defenders behind them last night. And when they were successful, they either got foul, an assist or scored a basket the vast majority of the time.

D-rock likes this.
  4. London'sBurning

Or let's go back to Harden's MVP season.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201712110HOU.html -2

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201801260NOP.html -12

In these two games Harden was positive and played well so it's not always a complete shut down but Holiday does affect how Harden plays and it's not just a one off game where Harden's shot wasn't there that evening.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201803170NOP.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201803240HOU.html

5. DonatelloLimestone

Harden against the entire league, barb-q chicken. But tucker can leave a dent or a bruise or two and at least has a lot of familiarity, similarly low center of gravity

D-rock likes this.
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah but more than 50% were double teams not all single coverage like you are saying

the bucks simply cannot afford to send harden double teams 50% of the time

I guess we'll see. IMO, having legit superstars and non stubborn coaching impacts how well performs.

7. London'sBurning

I saw plenty of single coverage where Holiday either got a strip or weakside block on Harden. He's one of the only players I've watched block Harden's stepback 3 without fouling. Plus one of those seasons is when AD was trying to force a trade to the Lakers and sat out the majority of the season. Holiday was playing without AD backing him up whereas Holiday will have Giannis clogging the paint. Like I said I think the Nets win easily but don't be surprised if Harden looks mortal in some games compared to the Celtics series.

8. vlaurelio

let's see. you're judging on a video with double teams being sent to Harden without KD, Kyrie, & Harris

and I don't even know what you mean by mortal

harden avergaed 27 and 10 in the BOS series

I can see Harden averaging 24 and 12 vs the bucks and and by no means that's "mortal" compared to BOS

D-rock likes this.
  9. London'sBurning

I'm judging from personal memory actually watching the games. I just linked the highlights because they were available. Want me to go dig up Pelican matchups in the past and link the game threads to see what posters here were saying as it was happening? I'm sure you'd find a lot of positive comments on Holiday's defense from Rockets fans on this very message board. You act like I'm making **** up and I've brought box scores, highlights and my own experiences watching the games and your best response is, "We'll see", and "He wasn't always single covered." Whatever. This conversation has come full circle and I'm out.

10. vlaurelio

yeah and those games don't have KD, Kyrie, and Harris. it would turn out differently

11. icewill36

icewill36 Member

They arent going to seriously out PJ on james are they ? No offense to PJ but thats bbq chicken. He doesbt have the foot speed and shouldn't be trying to guard beyond the FT line IMO. James will get him in all kinds of foul trouble. Its gotta be jrue..... but even as good of individual defenders the bucks have its still hard to see anyone stopping them from getting the looks they want. If they can keep rebounding close they should win.

how did the lakers look horrid all year? they were actually rolling and looking great before the injuries to AD and lebron. did you forget that rockets game they embarrassed us and made James reiterate he wants to be traded ASAP ? I think they are probably done though. at Brons age it will take him too long to get back to what he was pre injury and AD will probably be out a couple weeks. PHX is very confident and hungry. they won't let up on the lakers.

12. DonatelloLimestone

With Harden, no one person can and will guard him. I'm guessing they are going to throw multiples like most teams. Lets not forget was it the bucks who played that really odd defense driving harden into the middle, almost playing him in the back.

But bucks don't have a bad shot with they can throw PJ, Giannis, Holiday, Donte at hiim. They got a shot blocker down low. No one is stopping harden, but they can get the ball out of his hands...then they have to deal with Kyrie and KD...what a team.

And aGreed. People forget Lakers started 1/2 and played as usual and then injuries just killed em and they never got their groove back. LEt alone its always mentally harder to repeat. But anyone watching lebron knows he isn't at full speed. Hes not playign his usual above the rim style, I think hes playing through something and just trying to keep it together.
    I'm not a big phx fan, but a semi-x rocket is there so good for them.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

D-rock likes this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

lol @ the cupcake Jazz being up there.

I have Nets and Bucks @ 1 & 2.

The rest dont matter.

D-rock and Rocket River like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I feel the same

Rocket River

D-rock likes this.
  16. SmallBallDoesntWork

the winner of nets bucks will lose 2 games max the rest of the way

D-rock and Rocket River like this.
  17. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

+1000 means you win $1,000 if you bet $100, right? I'm glad Texas isn't a gambling state. I'd be betting on the Lakers.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Correct

19. Mr Chuck Norris

They suck.

20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Sigh, Barkley picked the Bucks to beat the Nets. That means the Nets will win the series.

D-rock, clos4life and HardenVolumeOne like this.