1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Bullard out as Rockets TV Analyst

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 2, 2021.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Rockets don't pay them, they pay the Rockets. AT&T pays the Rockets/Astros a large amount for the right to broadcast the games over X amount of years, and the network tries to profit from that based on using their media resources to sell advertising, subscriptions, carriage fees for cable/satellite providers, etc. The broadcast teams are part of what they sell. In this case, the big question is whether AT&T will see a higher-priced hire as worth it — i.e. will more people watch the games if they invest proactively? You can argue that this might be the time to do it, since the team is likely to be bad for at least one more year, so this can provide a carrot to get more people to watch. Anyway, if it's a big deal to y'all, let AT&T SW know — e-mails, social media, etc. The GM is a guy named David Peart, as I understand it he basically leads the operation.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...amed-General-Manager-of-ROOT-SPORTS-Southwest

They do keep teams in the loop, of course, but there's usually not a ton of conflict because both sides have similar goals. It's bad for the RSN business model if fans don't like the product and watch less, so the odds are probably pretty good that the hire will be someone that fans are comfortable with.

(Again, note that the above summary is based on the CURRENT model and ownership structure in Houston. It was very different about 6 to 10 years ago during the CSN Houston days, when the Astros and Rockets actually did have significant ownership stakes. Unfortunately, that didn't work out, so we're back to the more traditional model — where the RSN is basically a separate media entity.)

2. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT... Reading between the lines, what you're trying to say is that this was definitely FERTITTA. The Rockets are definitely trying to cut costs by firing Bullard, and in the process they were able to rid themselves of an evil Democrat?!

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Very disappointing. Really enjoyed hearing him talk about his playing days.
    What's more disappointing is according to the report, no explanation was given to him.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

When ESPN literally tried to gift wrap the analyst job to him with rockets highlights and he still flubbed it, we all should have known he was not ready. You learn on the job. He got better. But he wasn't anything that would cause you to tune in. And although you could say that about 95% of 'em, still, you should want to tune in to hear what someone has to say, and be able to trust that guy that he's not just blowing smoke up your nachos. He wasn't bad. He was average. And that's not where I would like it to be.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Would this suggest they may be promoting Cayleigh?

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I didn’t look up the specifics and just assumed it was a personnel thing. Haven’t lived in Houston for some time so wasn’t sure what was the latest on Milo and the other Astros broadcast folks.

And I know Bull did technically work for ATT. I’ll just never be convinced that ATT just randomly fired the lead color analyst who has been with the team since Calvin Murphy left. I don’t know what goodwill some folks think Tilman deserves on these type of moves but obvious some think much more highly of him than I do. I guess I just assume the worst but that’s just me and my sense about the guy.

Anyone who has to say “I stay out of basketball decisions” as much as Tilman does, obviously has an issue with micromanagement. It’s like a subconscious tick.

I get the nature to defend though when you feel like someone is being blamed for something out of their control. I actually defended Milk Hair a few times even though I thought the guy was a jackass. He became the excuse every time someone bounced a ball out of bounds so I get it... but I don’t feel the least bit bad in this case penning it on Tilman. He’s beyond even Milk Hair in the negative goodwill department so I don’t feel the least bit bad.

8. dobro1229

I highly doubt it. 99% of the time it’s a former player. Maybe... maybe.... they’d consider someone like Cynthia Cooper but even then I doubt it. Not sure who they think they are going to get but there will be scrutiny if that person sucks. Especially if they suck aren’t Rockets greatness like Clyde.

My god if it’s McHale I swear I’m done and I’d never think to ever say that about the Rockets ever. That would be the worst but more than likely they’ll look at guys like Chuck Hayes, Carl Landry, Rafer, or Moochie.

DonKnock likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Is it really defending him for me to say I’m glad Bullard is being replaced. Im not even going to sugar-coat it ... Bullard isnt my style,... let’s make a move for Cade.

here’s where I appreciate Tilman...he’s been a Season ticket holder longer than Bull has known where Katy is. I’m willing to bet he thinks Bull is lessor talent and Houston can do better.

10. dobro1229

As I’ve said a few times already, they’ll be judged by who replaces him. I get that Bull isn’t the greatest ever. The guy is corny and tries too hard often, but he sort of grew on me over the years. He was good with Craig. He was terrible with Bill and Clyde when he was trying way too hard.

We’ll see. There’s just not a ton of goodwill from me as you probably get a good sense of. The wholesale on draft picks early on just to get under the luxury tax when we were a true contender really pissed me off. Then the Westbrook trade. Then about a dozen other stupid things. Along with the fact that his restaurants suck and he ruined one of the few Galveston surf breaks.

11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

He likely pushed Worrell out the door as well. He purposely put Worrell and Bullard up in the nosebleeds to announce games in order to save a few bucks and nudge Worrell into retirement.

12. dobro1229

I also thought that was kind of weird that they pushed them back there. How much money did he really save/make with that change? During Covid, I get it, but that was done a year or so prior.

I don't care who signs off on the paperwork over at AT&T. There's very little anyone can say to convince me this isn't a Tillman thing.

13. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

lol He'll be back. Maybe he has a coaching job lined up.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cold-blooded

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm sure Bullard will join the Nets TV team to chase a ring.

mikenm268, Patience, Amel and 3 others like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

not sure why people have a problem with this

Is this when we pretend that Bull was a good listen during games? Bill and Bull were terrible. Bill acting senile on the mic, and Bull being corny with nicknames like Nwaba Dabba Doo and going on and on with his overused talking points of 3>2, Rockets don’t want to shoot midrange, back in my day flagrant foul x, y, and z were common fouls or play-ons, etc

Bull is a nice guy, but he won’t be missed

if he’s replaced with somebody better, maybe I won’t have to use the other team’s stream as often

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Bull was middle of the pack. I’ve heard worse, and I’ve heard MUCH much better, the thing is you have to be careful what you wish for I guess. If they replace him with an amateur, which is what a lot of color commentators tend to be, you might get something infinitely worse, which can honestly ruin a broadcast. I can totally see the rockets doing exactly that just to save a few bucks, and that would be a ****ing disaster. You need to find someone who knows the game, is intelligent, and can communicate professionally, and that’s a lot easier said than done. The absolute worst thing they could do is just throw some random former player in there because people recognize the name. Which I’d be willing to bet is exactly what they end up doing.

18. mightybosstone

While I don't disagree that Bull was average at best, I still think it's uncool how AT&T and the Rockets handled the situation. He and Worrell have been the broadcast team for this franchise for forever. For him to be ousted with zero explanation is uncalled for. If they ultimately have a different vision for what they want to do with the broadcast booth and enter a new era for the franchise, that's understandable and a fair justification. But pushing a man out who's been a total professional and done his job to the best of his ability for you for 16 years (on top of being a former player) is a crap way to treat your employees.

This is the kind of thing that adds fuel to the fire of "Tilman is a terrible owner who treats his employees poorly." If you want to try and end that narrative, this is not how you do it.

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

Guess Calvin will be next.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

they did do him a little dirty, I’ll agree with that

I hope they find somebody better because Bill and Bull had gotten so bad that the past few years I only watched the Rockets broadcast if we were playing a select few teams like the Warriors, Spurs, or Mavs

since things are getting revamped, I’m wondering if they’ll replace Matt Thomas as PA announcer because I think he’s horrible too