1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Bullard out as Rockets TV Analyst

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 2, 2021.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

I expect a female of color play by play, but I hope they stick with former Rockets next to her. We'll get former Comets and first full female NBA announcing team.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Tilman wants everyone to know this team is his and has no lasting connection to the Les Alexander team he bought.

He's like a guy who buys a craftsman home in excellent shape, then tears it down and replaces it with something he designed himself.

Jontro and D-rock like this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'm kind of over Clyde as well. He'd do much better at half time but he's a big enough former NBA star that he could work for NBAtv. Quick segments would be great, full games of Clyde can be boring. Maybe he'll go to Portland?

BossHogg713 likes this.
  4. kkthksbai

kkthksbai Member

There were some games during the last president's term where he alluded to the president and the president's actions in a negative way. That's all I can think of. I mean jesus christ the former president would get on tv and act like a ****ing idiot almost weekly...apparently acknowledging that is too political? The whole wear a mask thing is/was common in Astros games too. They had/have entire segments where they tell people where and when they can get free vax. Seriously doubt that had anything to do with him not getting renewed. Just answering the post.

DonKnock likes this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I get all those points, but I just don't buy that this was just an ATT decision. I certainly don't buy the notion that Worrell is totally leaving on his own accord. He's a class act so I'm sure he's made peace with these changes, but that guy LOVES his job, and remember when the decision was made to split duties with Craig. I remember that it wasn't exactly his idea, but he saw himself as a mentor of sorts to Ackerman and was still happy to help elevate him. That's just the kind of guy he is, but I don't buy for 2 second that he was ready to call it quits on both travel & then this year with retirement.

Again, I'm not either pissed off at or defending the Rockets/ATT in this case yet. Much of their decision needs to be justified by the direction they take the team moving forward. If they make killer hires and the broadcast is elevated (along with the on-court product of course) then it's all worth it in the end even though I'll never forgive Tillman's rocky start where picks were shipped out left and right just to get under the lux tax, and the Westbrook trade which could haunt the franchise for a decade. Sometimes hard decisions have to be made with legacy employees at any company. It happens because it's a business.

(but the boneheaded draft pick trades & westbrook trade are a stain that isn't going away anytime soon) regardless)

But yeah I just do not buy for 2 seconds that these decisions are not without heavy influence from the highest levels of the org. Given the culture at his other businesses it's not like Tilman has the glorifying reputation of self determination. I can't think of too many people who have worked at any of his businesses that feel like it's a super empowering culture. If you have to have interview after interview saying emphatically that you have nothing to do with the day to day decisions, and how you put trust in the basketball people, etc. etc. it's probably for a reason. If you are a leader who creates that type of culture, you typically never had to say a word defending yourself as a micromanager.

Little Bit and BMoney like this.
  6. ktex

ktex Member

On his Twitter he basically called all Trump supporters idiots. I guarantee that is the issue.

vlaurelio and deb4rockets like this.
  7. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

that twitch in your heads is cognitive dissonance, trying to make everything fit into whatever narrative you've latched onto.

the title window always closes eventually, and personnel move on, and teams rebuild hoping to compete again. this is the lifecycle of an nba franchise, not an arch-villain plot

J.R. likes this.
  8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Am I the only one who doesn't care? As a champion Rocket I will forever love Bull, but I never loved him in this role.

Aruba77 and ths balla like this.
  9. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Hope Bull bounces back and finds a more lucrative and enjoyable gig doing what he loves to do. Also hope the next announcers are an upgrade and can pave a long lasting legacy while calling some memorable games the way Calvin, Bill and Gene did for me in the 90s. I'll even go so far as to say that the Rockets are one piece away from becoming legitimate again. If they can just replace this one owner with a different one, we're back baby!

10. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Do y'all remember how bad Bullard was when he tried to get a ESPN gig ?

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Hate to see ANYONE lose their job, and hopefully he gets his dream job somewhere else!

Having said that, this thread is funny!!

12. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

What if they offer the job to JVG and since he already lives here and follow the team. That would be awesome!

He can still do his national gig on Sunday's.

#172 hieuytran, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  13. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To which Bill Worrell replied.... You shot that brick from Beaumont Matt.

ktex likes this.
  14. Newlin

Newlin Member

The Bill Worrell and Matt Bullard show. Coming soon to a golf course near you!

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Dude, don't get my hopes......too late

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The owner is practicing vulture capitalism on the Rockets. A once proud and iconic business is being dismantled piece by piece.

BMoney and TheRealist137 like this.
  17. JW86

JW86 Member

As a commentator I don’t care one bit. He was fun to have around, but he acted like he was a big part of the championships even though he wasn’t around for one.

Also you would think he would have tons of funny stories, but he rarely gave us the nostalgia, which was basically why I tolerated him. He was cool in 2008, but in 2021 the whining and his corny food jokes got boring.

That being said, the way Fertitta handled this seems to be really unprofessional. Bullard does not deserve this. **** this organization. It is odd that Maxwell is now talking about his dreams of being a broadcaster all of a sudden. I doubt he would replace Bullard knowing how this was handled.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For the record: That quote @The Cat posted was about the Astros desire to support streaming their games for cord cutters. And Reid was saying he was glad ATT was able to get a deal done with Fubo TV.

The quote had nothing to do with personnel decisions. But regardless, it does illustrate who controls the network, and Bullard did work for ATT.

The Cat likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is ZERO chance that the owner of the brand (ROCKETS) had no say in this - they determine what makes their BRAND look good - and AT&T wants to keep them happy so they have that access they need.

If you don't think the Rockets are behind it, I believe you are being naïve - they clearly are the driving force.....and if you recall - LES wanted Calvin out.......and The Rockets also wanted Bill out.......earlier....those were not decisions by the stations caring the games.

DD

20. DonatelloLimestone