1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Draft Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Landry's Tooth

Thought this deserved a separate thread since the draft would wrap it up...

Assuming we don't get #1 and end up with #3-4...

To Warriors:
    Eric Gordon
    TJ Warren

To Pacers:
    #3/4, #23, #24
    Andrew Wiggins

To Rockets:
    Myles Turner

Warriors get 2 solid rotation players for winning now while only moving 7 spots back to unload Wiggins. They can replace Wiggins with the #13 pick to pair with Wiseman long term.

Pacers take on Wiggins contract and lose solid players in Turner/Warren but get the #3/4 pick for a cornerstone player to pair with Lavert and Sabonis.

Rockets take Davion Mitchell #6 leaving them with:

PG: Kevin Porter Jr
    SG: Davion Mitchell
    SF: Tate/Martin/House
    PF: Christian Wood
    C: Myles Turner

Adds a lot of defense with Mitchell on the ball in the backcourt and rim protection with Turner who is a top 3 rim protector in the game. Both can shoot 3s so we can still play 5 out...

Y2JT and 18pbr like this.
  2. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

In most circumstances, I don’t want to trade down, I want to trade up. Even if we get #1, I think you should consider packaging 23/24 to try to move up as high up as possible (unless the FO loves multiple guys they think will fall to the mid-20s). We have tons of young bodies right now, what we need is as high quality prospects as possible.

I hate the idea of a multi year tank, but trading picks for an established, ‘borderline star’ type player is the last thing we should be doing right now, imo.

Y2JT, Emtenndo, juanming and 5 others like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

u must be high

#3 overall pick could easily be Jalen Green, and the Rockets are gonna give that away for Myles Turner and 6’2 Mitchell who’s turning 23 in September? Lol, c’mon man...

stop

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This only makes sense if you really believe KPJ will eventually develop into an All-Pro level player, or you think Mitchell is being overlooked and should be included in the discussion for a top 3 pick.

Otherwise, this trade basically ensures the team will be an average, mediocre team fighting for the playoffs every year. Their ceiling would be hosting a first round series.

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Doubt C. Wood will move down to PF.

Mathloom and Highlyrated like this.
  6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This makes so much sense!

If we were going to make a move like the one suggested, it would be a swing for the fences guy we picked at 6 (Jalen Johnson?)

But, if you were going to do that, why not sit with our current picks and take Mobley.... Not only is he a swing for the fences guy, he is also (potentially) able to do what Turner does (and more?)

Possum and rpr52121 like this.
  7. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

The top 2 targets is Cade n green the others don't Wow me as much.Cade is the top guy ,if Rockets land at 3 Green could fall to them like Reeko said,but also Whoever picks at 2 may be willing to trade back to 3 or 4 ,Rockets could do a swap of #3 for #2 plus an additional pick.if you at 4 they could a swap plus a 1st n 2nd for #2 pick.This may sound crazy but I challenge yall to think big,Cade n green got the highest ceiling and this could pay big divindens ,the last thing you want is to sit back and draft a player you not that excited about .Go big or go home ,Cade n green got that star power and will fill the seats up.

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

hopefully the #2 team pulls a bagely and drafts mobley leaving green in our lap at #3. i mean it would only be fitting for the most MJ-esque prospect since... MJ would go at #3 right?

the more i think of it, i really see silver giving the magic #1 for cade

saleem, coachbadlee and ApacheWarrior like this.
  9. Landry's Tooth

One of my thoughts for this was I don't really see the Jalens being that much better than Mitchell and our rim protection isn't great. I don't see Mobley solving that right away or even at all possibly...

I would rather take slightly less upside for less risk that directly addresses need...

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  10. thekad

thekad Member

Of course the worst team in the league should draft for need.

Bo6 and DonatelloLimestone like this.
  11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Why not sign and trade Olynk to Indy for Turner & keep all of our picks?

12. Landry's Tooth

I would do it but not sure why the pacers would. They could move turner for a pick and probably sign olynyk outright...

Keep in mind, I'm suggesting moving down only 3 or 4 slots but adding turner who has a skill set that matches a significant need.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yikes!! That's a lot to give up just to be getting Turner and a out of the top 5 pick.

Rashmon and saleem like this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If Rockets end up with 3/4, I would see if that #2 team would take #3/4 and one of #23/24 to let us move up. Gotta get Green at all costs in that instance.

Little Bit likes this.
  15. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

The goal is cade or green. Simply put.

Denovo and Bo6 like this.
  16. DonatelloLimestone

pacers also famously didn't want to pay or Anthony davis and the cap when they had paul george.

They are in prepetual mediocrity and are willing to pay to be good enough to be profitable and competitive but not go above and beyond. Not sure they swallow Wiggins contract for that reason.

but I can see them moving from turner for that same reason if he wants a big contract. but then again
    we said no to Jarret allen, are we going to pay up for Myles turner whose due a raise soon? Our owner doesn't have that track record when we have one of the best players on the planet.

We need to build this thing organically, get the best young talent we can. Moving down 3/4 slots in the top of this draft could mean losing out on an all star for a rotation player.

17. Landry's Tooth

Jarrett Allen is an inferior player to Turner and about to get a bigger contract.

Turner can shoot 3s. They are roughly comparable as rim protectors. Turner is basically Olynk with elite rim protection.

Wiggins and Turner both make big money, Wiggins makes more. It is about the same as warren and Turner combined so Pacers aren't adding payroll. Turner has a few years left as does Wiggins.

I will restate again, i personally don't see much difference in player quality from 3 to 6. Now if for some reason Cade falls that's a different story... i don't dislike Mobley, but i don't feel his skills solve a need yet like rim protection or on ball backcourt defense.

A combo of Mitchell and Turner solve our 2 biggest needs and i think it could put us into the playoffs pretty easily with reasonable health... from there the opportunity to become a contender depends on porter developing and what the nets picks look like...

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Does Indy have that kind of Cap Room?

19. Landry's Tooth

They could easily enough... they don't have bad contracts. Sabonis and lavert are their big salaries after turner...

The issue is moving Turner without taking cash back... limits options...

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Brogdan- $21.7m
    Sabonis - $19.8m
    Turner- $18.0m
    Lavert- $17.5m
    Warren- $12.9m
    Lamb- $10.5m
    J.Holiday- $6.0m
    A. holiday- $4.0m

Puts them at $110 mill with Mcconnell & McDermott as FA's plus the draft. I don't think they could move enough $$$'s & sign a big free agent. Olynk is going to get in the Turner range this summer. Sign and trade could benefit both teams. I know Turner isn't particularly happy right now.