1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don’t Trust the NBA!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, May 28, 2021.

1. amaru

amaru Member

Even if the Rockets don’t get a top 3 pick, trying to win meaningless regular season games wasn’t the answer.

napalm06 likes this.
  2. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lol, How would YOU determine after the fact whether we received a “fair chance” or not?

The prior probability has exactly nothing to do with this outcome. Using that as evidence is disingenuous.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Absent convincing evidence to the contrary, I'll assume it is fair. The outcome of the lottery for the Rockets will not impact this.

I'm saying it's not evidence.

If the prior probability of us getting a top pick was 99%, and we didn't get it, then that would count as evidence that something unfair happened (not proof, evidence). OTOH, a prior probability of 52% (effectively a coin flip) does not mean that us not getting a top 4 pick is evidence that something unfair happened. Nor is it evidence that the outcome was fair.

4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

That's exactly wrong. The lottery either is, or isn't, rigged. Any prior probabilities from said lottery being used to update that belief is an incorrect application of bayesian probability.

Also, even if bayesian probability WAS usable here, any probability that isn't EXACTLY a coin flip COULD be used to update your beliefs. Your statement is false regardless.

5. durvasa

I don’t understand why you are saying it would not be applicable.

Yes, 52% isn’t exactly a coin flip, so you might argue it would cause us to update our priors ever so slightly. But it’s insignificant. In the real world, “evidence” requires a higher bar before ringing alarm bells.

6. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

They got Zion in exchange for trading AD to the Lakers to play with LeBron and make the NBA's biggest market team relevant again

cheke64 likes this.
  7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Half baked conspiracy theories. ~yawn~

What's going to really bake your noodle is when you all realize Silver orchestrated the purchase of the franchise to Tilman.

Why bother rigging a couple games and drafts when you can send a team into permanent purgatory.

The guy isn't even a real billionaire! How was this ever approved by the NBA??

groovemachine likes this.
  8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

It's a misapplication because even if the odds were 99% and 1%, you couldn't use the results of the odds to update your prior beliefs of the lottery being rigged because they are completely independent events.

9. durvasa

Completely independent? So you think the lottery being rigged has nothing to do with whether we get a top 4 pick this year or not? I don’t get how that could be the case.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Pelicans were given Zion as a thank u for giving the Lakers AD...Lakers with the 11th worst record getting the 4th pick to trade to New Orleans and the Pelicans getting the #1 overall pick with the 8th worst record is simply too big of a coincidence to ignore

let the Pelicans have Zion for a few years as a thank u...he won’t be staying there past his 2nd contract anyways...he can develop in New Orleans, and then they’ll start trying to force him to a big market once he’s in his prime

they already started with the NY rumors this year just because Zion said he likes playing in MSG

11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

The NBA is beholden to China, as they provide a much needed cash infusion into a somewhat (recently) struggling league. A top pick going to the Rockets may not be a cash cow for Silver and the league as they are still dealing with the fallout from a couple of years ago. Hope it is all on the “up and up” but have an inherent distrust of the NBA (based on years of watching certain refs fix games and no reaction from the league). Chris Paul has made similar comments about the reffing, so hopefully not everyone thinks I am just throwing out a half baked conspiracy theory.

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lol imagine being this dense.

13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This is the most salient comment in this entire thread. Yes, Mr. Commissioner why doesn't the public get to see how the ping pong balls sort themselves out?

14. durvasa

Don’t they announce the lottery positions in reverse order, because that makes it more dramatic for TV? It’s been a while since I watched it, so I may be misremembering.

15. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

There is no credible evidence to believe there is anything behind this.

If anything having one of the largest cities in the US with a terrible team is bad for the NBA. I don't see how the Rockets being bad is helping with China in any way? Especially since Morey isn't with the Rockets anymore, he is with Philly. Besides if the NBA wanted to rig the draft for maximum ratings, the Knicks would have been getting number one picks for years now, and not multiple number one over all picks for Cleveland and Minnesota.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"With the 18th pick in the 2021 NBA Draft the Yooston Rockets select Cam Thomas, guard LSU"

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You can't prove a negative. So it's pointless to pre-whine about it.

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

That's last I remember, but like you I haven't paid much attention to it.

19. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

A long shot hitting is not “evidence” of illegitimacy.

20. durvasa

Why? Events that would otherwise be very improbable count as evidence. If someone is claiming that a 6-faced die is not fair, and then I roll the die 10 times in a row and each time it lands 6 -- that is evidence they are correct. Not proof -- it is possible that it was just a coincidence -- but nevertheless it is evidence. I should be more willing to believe them then I would have been before I rolled the die. Do you disagree?