1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets traded James Harden for nothing.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Asian Sensation

Can’t be mad at the return. It’s kind of hard to get max value for a player when he blatantly quits and wants out. Whatever the picks end up being I’m sure it will be better than the poo poo platter we got for Scottie when he quit on us.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I will not stand for any slander against Stacey Augmon, Kelvin Cato, Ed Gray, Carlos Rogers, Brian Shaw and especially the Wizard himself, Walt Williams.

daywalker02 and saleem like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's the only thing that might hurt them and be of benefit for us.

4. steddinotayto

If the hope is that those Nets picks turn into lotto picks then even KD getting injured wouldn't help. All Harden needs is 4 players--G League, Euro, Undrafted, Washed, you name it--on the court that can run and rebound and he can will that team to the playoffs.

5. saleem

It's too bad Rudy and CD didn't or couldn't acquire Jermaine O'Neal instead of the Hallucination.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This core will not play together for 2 more years. Even if they win a ring or not. I suspect they will leave sooner than later. The Nets are not going to take a chance and trade them away for whatever they can as soon as there's noise about not taking extensions.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

Was that Cato's nickname lol? I mean weren't we all entertained that fateful night of preseason basketball that netted Kelvin $42 million dollars?

8. Asian Sensation

Thanks for the reminder on just how poopy that platter was. I remember Augmon refusing to play for us. As if his 4ppg was too good for us.

bumbum09, saleem and steddinotayto like this.
  9. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

What have we learned from the recent Heat/Warrior/Laker superteams?
    1. They don't last long (2-3 years) before they break up (Heat/Warriors) or break down (Lakers)
    2. The previously super team falls off quite a bit afterwards
    Sure, the Nets might buck this trend and stay together and be competitive for the entire time the Rockets own their draft, but I think its unlikely. It's also unlikely that the Rockets will be continue to be terrible for the entire run and these picks/swaps will be used to bolster the team in later years.

Could the Rockets maximized this return even further? Probably, but not enough that I'm going to worry about it.

Corrosion, vator and ChillyPete32 like this.
  10. saleem

Yes, it was his nickname for years. He had only decent season for us. I opposed giving him that huge contract based on that pre-season performance.

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

thats a bad excuse. We could have tanked and gotten a fair return

12. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Prime Harden? Yes

~33-35 year old Harden? Doubtful

The injuries started this year. It's going to go downhill from here. Harden works very hard at his craft, but he lives pretty hard off the court. He also doesn't seem like he trains in a hyper-efficient manner to maximize longevity like Lebron. Last year they had the anecdote about him running stairs in the hotel during the bubble. That's great for building up his wind. It's not really great for minimizing impact on his joints.

Melo was an all-star in 2017 at age 32. One year later he was replacement level in OKC at age 33. A year after that he was pretty much out of the league.

For nearly everyone it goes pretty quick when you start getting into your 30's.

I'd bet on BKN being very good again next year (and now we've got the Miami swap to hedge a little for that). After that I think the fall is going to happen pretty quick unless they pull a rabbit out of a hat like getting a franchise player in the second round, the current Big 3 leaves and they somehow sign younger franchise players in their place, etc.

#392 ChillyPete32, Jun 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

LMFAO @ Bill shithead Simmons!

BossHogg713 and ChillyPete32 like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

melo is your example to use for harden. He's been a replacement level player for years bc hes only been a scorer for his career. Hes never had much versatility. Harden is dramatically better than melo in every way and it isn't close. Everything from IQ to actual basketball skills. It's funny how we have folks that still dont understand what actually ages well and everything about Harden's game will age fine. Yes he will still be an elite player after next year. So Harden in a span of 2 years is just going to fall pretty quick. The same one dropping monster triple doubles right now and getting W's. Yeah not happening

Reeko likes this.
  15. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Literally traded the best player in the league for nothing. Crazy man.

D-rock likes this.
  16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Harden relies on his elite bball IQ, skills, and talent

not so much on his athleticism

17. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Years ago the Celtics traded Pierce and KG for nothing. That ended being very good for the Celtics way down the line. Also, if Harden pulls a Lebron and comes back, and now we have major assets from a depleted Brooklyn, then we're looking very good.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I can't tell if people are genuinely just stupid or acting that way with this "we traded Harden for nothing" nonsense.

Maybe it goes poorly and we end up with an underwhelming package, maybe it goes our way and we get a lot, but certainly not nothing.

ElPigto likes this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This notion that the Rockets will end up with absolutely nothing for James Harden is silly.

A lot happens in 7 years.

20. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Harden will bounce to the West Coast before it's all said and done.

Nets won't be around for a long time, win 1-2 and break it up.