1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese Virologist post report claiming virus made in Wuhan lab

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Sep 15, 2020.

?

Is she lying

1. Yes - Hired by mtv for new show loose women chicks on the run

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No - she’s really Chinese and she knows secrets

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's what China was doing
    @Os Trigonum

2. tinman

Supporting Member

99ers see the BIGGER PICTURE
    while NON 99ers see the polaroids

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Double posting on Clutchfans?

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The reason these backbones are widely shared is that it takes a lot of collaboration to establish one. It isn't done in a silo. You are the one claiming the backbones are hidden and secret, you need to back-up your claim. There's no reason to keep a backbone secret.

Usually this is done in vitro because it isn't easy to experiment on that many ferrets to evolve a virus. Pasteur did it - in the 1940's. And it makes a deadlier virus in the host species, but less virulent in other species. That's why it's used to make vaccines. I don't think you understand the articles you posted. Those viruses created were less infectious to humans, not more.

No Worries likes this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

Only Hakeem double posts
    when he gets the ball in one position doesn't like it and passes back to Kenny
    then goes to a new post position and gets the ball back

Space Ghost likes this.
  6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

No Worries likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

8. tinman

Supporting Member

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Dream was one of the most decisive post up players I've ever seen. Double post ups were rare with Dream. You want double posts, go see Shaq.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Au contraire, it is the lack of evidence of a natural origin that leads me towards a lab leak.

It has been more than 1.5 year now and we still haven't found the intermediate species?

Now, THAT is unbelievable. Preposterous.

We arent looking into insects as intermediate species but mammals.

There are only so many mammals in the world, and there are even less mammals native to China that are handled by humans. Let alone mammals handled by humans, that are in the city of Wuhan.

And with the whole world working on it, all the virologists and all the labs and we still haven't been able to at least pin point it to a few at least animal families?
    We aren't looking for a needle in a haystack. We are looking for a needle among a small bundle of definite known hay.

It is incredible.
    That is something that should have been accomplished in the first 6 months but still nothing???

How you explain this? And you talk about me being biased or have an agenda? What about you who support a theory with lack of evidence?

The more time passes , and there is zero news and silence the more the natural origin theory becomes less viable.

How long are we supposed to wait to find the natural reservoir? A few decades?

I am willing to put water in my wine, and entertain suspicious and far fetched theories of how the intermediate host somehow was transported straight from southern China to Wuhan with leaving no trace of infected or dead humans in a country with the most surveillance in the world.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But I am not willing to border on insanity and accept that the intermediate species among a small pool of mammals is impossible to find.
    THAT is playing with my intelligence.

Obviously as shown in the last two years the WHO think the public is mentally challenged but I am not going to sit down and quietly accept their lies.

11. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Quit saying I don't understand something when it's clear you have been wrong over and over. They made the virus more deadly in humans by serial passing it through ferrets because ferrets are able to transmit influenza to humans. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4810786/

"We chose the ferret (Mustela putorius furo) as the animal model for our studies. Ferrets have been used in influenza research since 1933 because they are susceptible to infection with human and avian influenza viruses (24). After infection with human influenza A virus, ferrets develop respiratory disease and lung pathology similar to that observed in humans. Ferrets can also transmit human influenza viruses to other ferrets that serve as sentinels with or without direct contact (fig. S1) (2527)."

WTF do you think bat corona viruses need to go through an intermediary species before they are a problem in humans? Here is a hint - to become more virulent in humans.

12. Agent94

Agent94 Member

https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-origin-of-covid-did-people-or-nature-open-pandoras-box-at-wuhan/

Only a certain number of these DNA backbones have been described in the scientific literature. Anyone manipulating the SARS2 virus “would probably” have used one of these known backbones, the Andersen group writes, and since SARS2 is not derived from any of them, therefore it was not manipulated. But the argument is conspicuously inconclusive. DNA backbones are quite easy to make, so it’s obviously possible that SARS2 was manipulated using an unpublished DNA backbone.​

13. tinman

Supporting Member

I guess you never saw him play against Seattle or any team that doubles and triples teams him
    But I definitely did
    @Clutch @Space Ghost

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Look
    A Chinese woman said it so he doesn’t believe it
    He will change his mind when a old white guy on tv has doubts on origins

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

When you do this serial passing in ferrets it becomes more deadly to ferrets and less to humans. But there is a risk that this virus that is deadly in ferrets could evolve once in humans and become deadly again.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's an interesting article, one that contradicts other articles that state the Virus backbones are not easy to make. All depends now on what you mean by the word make. Construct from code or create that underdyling code?

I read the full article. I've read other articles that make points about why it is natural origin that he hasn't addressed. It should be noted also that the blog publishing this has an agenda of fighting against the dangers of technology, and thus may not be the most objective source of information.

It will be interesting to see if we ever get more info on the origin of Covid.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The virus has some animal source. I don't know why they haven't found the intermediate species yet. Again, I have said it's possible for it to have come from a lab leak, but that doesn't mean it was engineered. Viruses are collected in the wild and brought into labs to be studied.

But there are a lot of complexities here and let's face it, none of us are authorities here, we are debating based on second hand information, often times the opinions of one scientist vs another. And most scientists are still skeptical of the engineering claim, but not eliminating that it was a leak from a lab.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

China may have found it afaik ... but they ain’t talking.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I watched this earlier and while this doesn't specifically address whether COVID-19 came from a lab leak it does show again how much the PRC government suppressed information about the nature and severity of the disease to the rest of the World and even their own people. It took the courage of people like Dr. Zhang Yongzen a virologist who leaked the genome sequence to an old friend in Australia to get PRC to start coming clean about the virus. What made all of this even more galling was that from SARS the PRC had pledged to work with the World when it looked a potentially dangerous and contagious disease was detected.

Regarding whether this came from a lab or was naturally zoonotic the documentary does point out that at the Wuhan market there were many exotic animals and that conditions in the market were very poor. As been previously stated Wuhan is also a major transit hub and it is relatively easy to get from rural areas of the PRC with a lot of bats and other animals to Wuhan. Also when the it COVID-19 was getting too serious for the PRC to ignore or coverup they did clean out the market and it's possible that evidence of intermediate species transmission or even direct transmission might've been lost.

tinman and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This also isn't a handful of species. The PRC has many endemic species. I've been to a national park in rural Hubei province and even with the PRC's development there are still many species of mammals, birds and reptiles including ones that are endangered that could be an intermediate species or a reservoir. The wildlife trade also means that many of these species are trafficked, kept close to humans and other animals.

tinman and FranchiseBlade like this.