1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas GOP and Voter Suppression

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MystikArkitect, Oct 16, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The Texas republican legislature is good at "debating" impactful bills then passing them in the shadow of darkness...

3. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

According to his follow up tweets…

“Bans drive-thru voting and voting after 9PM (used disproportionately by voters of color in Harris County)

Bans voting on Sundays before 1PM (Souls to the polls)”

@Os Trigonum do you feel this is voter suppression?

mdrowe00, RayRay10 and dobro1229 like this.
  4. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Major

Major Member

Of course not. All the fraud happens before 1pm on Sundays, so this helps secure elections.

6. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

These laws have more than just us keyboard warriors concerned (full list of signees at the link)

https://www.newamerica.org/political-reform/statements/statement-of-concern/

mdrowe00 likes this.
  7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

No joke but I believe the Senate leadership's argument was poll workers have the right to go to church too so voting should be delayed until after church is finished.

Major likes this.
  8. Major

Major Member

If that's documented somewhere, some fringe religious group should claim Tuesday as their day of worship and argue the bill discriminates against their religion by only giving Christians time off.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The AP has the GOP leadership quoted.
    What's even crazier is that a Texas GOP rep claims that the 1PM early voting rule was actually a typo and was supposed to be "11 AM." They mentioned it on an interview with NPR. I dont believe that for a second but it tells you how absurd the GOP is.

mdrowe00, FranchiseBlade and Major like this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't like the bill. And the motivation looks corrupt. But the doomsaying also seems overwrought to me. I'm guessing it'll be incrementally harder for some on the margins to vote, and it'll be incrementally harder for democrats to win. But it's 90% an effort to create suspicion of democrats on one hand and of republicans on the other.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Should be easy to vote.

DD

conquistador#11 and Deckard like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

me no likey

seems ripe for abuse . If you think you are gonna lose a close election and you are the party in power ... boom , get some illegal votes cast and then the election becomes null

Same strategy if you are minority and not in power . This seems like it makes it easier to not govern and instead play footsie all day long

we already have problems holding politicians accountable and having effective governance.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This is so disgusting. Seriously you want to limit voting on Sunday on the off chance a poll worker might want to attend church? They can take another shift if church is that important.

Federal government needs to make a standard. How about voting is available 24 hours for a certain amount of days? That will do away with the lines and the church, after work, etc arguments.

Wish we had online voting. The GOP would never win another election.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Wish we had compulsory voting. That would change the complexion of voting restrictions.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's funny given the only ones who got caught cheating were the R's

VooDooPope likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No reply from @Os Trigonum? I'm shocked.

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Woohoo, I wonder if we get another semicolon court ruling. And then the losing party storms the capitol, and stays! :D Any Texas historians in here?

I actually think a skilled historian and attorney could successfully appeal this law as unconstitutional at a state level - a violation of the Texas Constitution. And since Texas appellate law is a complicated minefield of phuckery, a skilled orator/historian/litigator could win imo. Those judicial conservatives ruling against gaining the power to determine elections due to the way the law is poorly written - I actually could see that happening. And I generally have a decent sense of these things. Totally saw Texas remaining solidly red (yes, that was an easier prediction).

18. Buck Turgidson

A blind non-partisan redistricting committee plus mandatory voting.

VooDooPope likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

I think you don’t have to go too far out to the fringes. Jewish holy day is fri evening through sat. Islamic holy day is Friday.

Major likes this.