1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Yes, thanks to trump, our democracy is broken...

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

3. NewRoxFan

paul gosar...

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

Deleted, sorry, wrong topic. Moved to the Covid thread...

#3184 NewRoxFan, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's clear Republican leadership wants what happens on Jan. 6th to be completely forgotten. While some in the GOP caucus like Gosar want to celebrat it..

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

This how broken we are as a country...

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is sick. Seriously. Brainwashed masses from Goebbels type propaganda and lies. They should read the history of how masses in Germany were brainwashed, and think about the similarities of what the GOP platform has become since Trump.

Probably too much to ask, because it would require critical thinking skills.

#3187 deb4rockets, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    RayRay10 and dobro1229 like this.
  8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure Republican leadership knows that the BLM Antifa argument is a red herring and that any investigation will show that to be the case.

mikol13 and RayRay10 like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's weird though. They plainly reject and speak over facts all the time now, so if an investigation turns up result X, Y, and Z, they just need FOX and friends to put out P, Q, and R and move on as normal, ignoring January 6 and complaining about Biden.

The factual record has less and less relevance to the GOP and their messaging, so I don't really get the fear of investigations as anything other than old-school, irrelevant politicking. Maybe this is where the turtle doesn't fully recognize the new era.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

True facts seem to matter less to the current GOP a full impartial investigation will still not benefit them. The 2022 and likely the 2024 elections will be base elections and while they will seek to energize their own base with rhetoric about "stolen elections" that will also energize their opposition.

An investigation, especially a bipartisan one, will not energize their own base but will energize opposition. McCarthy and McConnell are smart enough to know this and given how close control of Congress will be are figuring there is nothing to be gained and only possible harm from this.

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and JayGoogle like this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

this is one thing I wonder about whch I guess we'll have to wait till 2022 to see.

While Trump did a very good job of energizing his base, he also energized the democratic base. I wonder if still playing by his rulebook will just energize the democratic base which polls show is quite plainly larger...as in the more people that vote the more it favors democrats nationally.

So while selling the whole "Dems stole the election and democracy is at stake!" helps turn out his base...Dems sell "Democracy is at stake and they are changing election laws and cheating to win." will just do the same for the democrats...and if it will hurt Republicans more since their lies are so easy to see that they will lose more and more moderates selling them.

I mean, no rational person is believing that Antifa or BLM had ANYTHING to do with those riots.

jiggyfly, Reeko, ROCKSS and 1 other person like this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know one thing. Anyone who says those guys who stormed the White House were Patriots doesn't know what a Patriot is. These are Patriots.

14. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Party over Country as always

Reeko, Ubiquitin, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

Sorry, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema. You are no John McCain
    https://www.azcentral.com/story/opi...sinema-proves-shes-no-john-mccain/5272014001/

sinema voting no on minimum wage bill...
    [​IMG]

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I haven't followed Sinema that closely but as someone who supported her positions and donated to her campaign's she's been pretty disappointing on a few counts. She's skipped many votes and has done so for reasons like doing a Triathalon. There are times she seems more interested with the idea of being a senator than actually doing the work of a senator.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah and I think it'll be a big reason why she's primaried and someone else is on the ticket in 2024. I think Democratic voters can get behind someone like Manchin in a red state where they don't agree with their moderate and compromising positions, but they know they have a few key positions they'll align with Democrats on, and they have a much better chance of winning in that red district. However when you show such a blatant lack of seriousness for the position there's really no reason why you should be on the ticket. No Republican will be voting for her anyways, and independents will be turned off by her lack of seriousness so there's no point.

When moderate independents vote for someone who they don't align with on all the issues (like Sharrod Brown for example) they do so because they'll say to themselves "I don't agree with him on everything but at least he is principled, etc.".

So there's just no reason for Sinema to be the nominee in 24. None. Arizona will have lots of good options who can turnout the Dem base, and pull in independents. Plus it'll be a referendum on Biden anyways. Given the radical anti Democratic electioneering going on there it should be easy to pull in independents. Arizona isn't a red state. It's a purple state. Democrats do not need to placate to someone like Sinema... at least in 2024 they don't. Right now they have to a little bit, or enough to keep her from becoming a Republican.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Being a Senator your foremost concern should be your constituents not as a platform to show off how cool you are. If Sinema doesn't believe that she shouldn't be there. I'm saying this as someone ideologically is closer aligned to her than to most people in Congress.

Sadly she's not alone nor is this a Democrats and certainly not a moderates problem. I've criticized Ilhan Omar for skipping a lot of votes and If we look at politicians like Madison Cawthorne who boast about how much resources they spent on "coms" rather than legislate this is widespread throughout Congress.

jiggyfly and dobro1229 like this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I remember her staff labeling people sexist for criticism of her manner of voting "no".

Good times.