1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese Virologist post report claiming virus made in Wuhan lab

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Sep 15, 2020.

?

Is she lying

1. Yes - Hired by mtv for new show loose women chicks on the run

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No - she’s really Chinese and she knows secrets

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

r'uh r'oh.

Attached Files:

Ubiquitin and Os Trigonum like this.
  2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I need to buy the Far-side books.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Not really.
    1)What kind of strain did they have? Just because they had covid that doesn't mean they would have the same virus that we have now.
    The Wuhan so called original strain was much less infectious than newer mutations.
    If they were infected with a strain ancestral to that it would 100% be even less infectious but potentially more lethal. That's why it would be replaced with new mutations because it was less infectious.

2) How do you know if there wasn't a covid outbreak in that hospital? Based on what evidence? China? Who sent the police to intimidate doctors with losing their job and going to jail and sent out gag orders? Who kept denying anything was wrong until it was all over the city for months?

basso likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What you have mentioned is certainty a possibility. My point is what is the most likely, most probable explanation.

China has not and likely will never let this be fully investigated by outsiders. This opens the door for kinds of speculation, especially by the conservatives to politically attack their opponents. A full and fair investigation will never happen, which allows this to be a never ending political attack and distraction.

The story that the WSJ broke, wrt three WIV researchers getting hospitalized with COVID like symptoms a month before the CV-19 outbreak, can not be verified since China will not allow it.

Thus three researchers getting sick is just speculation at this point. How this fits in the larger CV-19 story is more speculation.

Back to my original point ... If someone told you that a Wuhan resident went to the hospital with flu like symptoms in the middle of flu season, would your first response be that this was the start of pandemic outbreak?

If we are going to speculate the following would make a better story
    1. Jewish space lasers
    2. Hollywood cabal who drink the blood of abducted children
    3. UFOs

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

Proof works both ways. Don't you agree?

If one believes that Covid jumped naturally from bats in southern China then prove it.
    Simple.

Find the intermediate species. Find the timeline of how it made its way from the south all the way to Wuhan.

The mistake is to believe that the logical thing is that it is all natural that it needs no evidence and whoever dares to believe otherwise is a lunatic or has an agenda.
    That's not how science works. If you want to say that this is the truth then you have the burden of proof.

As far I am concerned the one who has the agenda most of all is China.

You are being biased to say that everyone who thinks there is something fishy with the location and the timeline is a right winger or as others have said a racist.

I mean take this example:

A man doesn't report his wife dissappearance for 2 months. (like china did)
    He doesn't cooperate with authorities.(like china did)
    He intimidates, threatens or makes witnesses dissappear (like China did)
    When authorities come in later he has destroyed all evidence and bleached the whole house. (like China did)
    He later comes up with strange and far fetched theories of a stranger who did it . (like China did when they propagandised that the virus came from an american).

Now you as a detective or the public will say "there is nothing suspicious and is only natural that it was a simple accident. No need for investigation. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a lunatic or racist"
    ??

basso and dachuda86 like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

Oh dang
    CNN India says she’s Chinese Virologist
    The D&D for some reason
    Thought she was black or Hispanic or white

dachuda86 likes this.
  8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Ive been out for awhile due to a head injury and I’m not going back through the full thread...this is the same Dr from the original topic starter that you started. Am I missing something here?

Look, I’m not going to argue as to whether China is involved or not or did what she said...their was definitely cover-up and problems and it very well could have started in a lab or it could have just been a massive screw-up in containment. China was definitely in the wrong and should be punished (but, likely won’t due to concerns on both sides of the aisle).

But, I’m not sure I’m going to give a lot of credence to a doctor that didn’t have her papers peer-reviewed, has limited experience with this type of virology, has had multiple researchers from different entities mention that her papers have inconsistencies as well as contradictions, and is being backed by Steve Bannon and a right-wing, rich Chinese ex-patriot.

I’m using the “royal” you here, not singling you out in particular tinman: Not everything has two sides to it and not everyone is on your side just because they aren’t on the other side.

Deckard, IBTL, KingCheetah and 4 others like this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Occam's Razor would suggest that it was from the rare deadly virus research lab down the street that was known to be studying this type of thing. Just from geographic probability alone. Anything else requires substantial evidence.

BenjaminChen and malakas like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you've been missed, @RayRay10 . I'm glad you're back.

Amiga and malakas like this.
  11. Agent94

Agent94 Member

No, I'm not. I'm pointing out that lab leaks are not uncommon.

malakas and dachuda86 like this.
  12. Agent94

Agent94 Member

That's incorrect. Not all backbones are disclosed. The problem with the paper you site is that they make a few point and then jump to a conclusion. The paper doesn't prove anything. It's basically an opinion piece. There are techniques that can be used to create a virus that make it indistinguishable from natural evolution. And you keep repeating that humans can't create a viral disease when its clear we have. There are plenty of published papers on the subject.

malakas likes this.
  13. No Worries

Glad to have you back! I hope your recovery is going well.

malakas likes this.
  14. No Worries

She used to live in Hong Kong, but now IIRC she is in the US.

Wikipedia says

Li-Meng Yan or Yan Limeng, is a Chinese ophthalmologist and virologist, known for publications and interviews alleging that SARS-CoV-2 was made in a Chinese government laboratory. These publications have been widely criticised by the wider scientific community. In April 2020, she fled to the United States.

She appears to have a very large axe to grind with the CCP. She is convinced that the CCP developed SARS-CoV-2 as a bio-weapon at WIV and deliberately released it in Wuhan because reasons. All without any evidence to support her allegations.

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

glad to see you posting and hopefully you are doing better

@CometsWin has been missing for awhile too shortly after he got covid. Hope he recovered and just staying away.

malakas likes this.
  17. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. tinman

Supporting Member

I knew it
    She’s really Chinese

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you have any sources to back up what you are stating here? Any evidence? Unless you're a virologist, you need to back up what you are saying because it runs contrary to the idea that virus backbones are from viruses that have been studied by numerous scientists around the world. You say the problem is that it made a few points and jumped to a conclusion - what was the jump? It's not an opinion piece, it's a paper.

What techniques can be used to create a virus to make it indistinguishable from natural evolution and how come people who study viruses don't know about it but you do?

You say it's clear we have created a viral disease - again, what is your source on this? You haven't cited a single paper.

It's easy to attack the sources someone provides if you don't have to back up what you are saying.

No Worries likes this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol, you forgot to show us your tin foil hat

#400 Sweet Lou 4 2, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021